• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something wrong with my UVs? (Blender and Substance)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've importaed by uvwrapped mesh to Substance to get a decent wool texture for a turtleneck sweater. Almost everything is perfect on the UV Project mode, save for one thing: the center of the neck is curving instead of creating perfectly vertical/linear strips of wool. It does it correctly in triplanar mode but then the sides of the neck look strange. Here's my UV map and wireframe from Blender and a photo of UV Projection and Triplanar Projection as well for you. Rotating various parts of the UV and changing seam locations sadly did not help. Any ideas what the issue is?

TOPICS
Automatic UV unwrapping , Discussion , UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Adjust the UV unwrap in Blender with the UV grid enabled so that you can keep the grid squares even and unstretched in the area you want. Blender has the tools to straighten and align the unwrapped mesh.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjust the UV unwrap in Blender with the UV grid enabled so that you can keep the grid squares even and unstretched in the area you want. Blender has the tools to straighten and align the unwrapped mesh.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback! This is my first time uvwrapping, so it makes sense that it might not be adequately done well. I'm gonna look into fixing the issue in Blender.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Blender's UV editing workspace at the top of the Image Editor view click new and choose Generated type UV grid.

2021-09-13_20-08-03.jpg

Then add a material and click on the Basecolor input for the PBR node and set it to use an image texture and choose the image texture you have just generated (if you didn't give the generated image a name it will be called "untitled"). Then set the viewport shading to material preview and you will be able to see the grid on your model as you unwrap. Simple example below just for demo:

2021-09-13_20-23-45.jpg

That will help you keep the seams, and any other parts, vertical/horizontal  where needed for your material to align.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey that's a handy trick to have in my toolbag. This will be useful for my models in the future. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder if this is the same with a can design. I have been strugelling with the UV map from Dimension and Stager. 

Seems like the UV never lines up as I wish it would. At first I belived to be the error on my end as I was the one that designed the can. However, after using Adobe's files that are within dimention and even from stock.adobe.com, I ended up with the same results. I have a attached some screen graps to see if maybe anyone has expirience this issue too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources