Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

strange Stain on model in other 3d software

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I completed texture in substance painter on all things seem ok. but when I export texture for Unity or PBR Metalic Roughness, I seen some strange stain on some part of my model. also in unity I put compression to None, but also I can see this problem. 
when I disable Normalmap, stain will be removed. but I can't see any problem on normal map.

1.png

TOPICS
Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

that looks like banding due to low bits per channel used in either the textures or your display settings.

Try a 16 bit export for your textures or 8 bit + dithering.

If that fails, try to set your display to 8 bit+dithering or 10bit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

The noise is normal, that's the actual dithering that reduces the banding artifact.

Other software may compress your normal map by default, so even if you use a 16bit normal map it will end-up looking bad because of the compression. This is a generally an accepted trade-off in game engines such as Unity to keep the memory footprint low.

You can try to change the setting of your normal map to uncompressed (or similar) to keep the raw quality. However this will icnrease the size of your texture

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that looks like banding due to low bits per channel used in either the textures or your display settings.

Try a 16 bit export for your textures or 8 bit + dithering.

If that fails, try to set your display to 8 bit+dithering or 10bit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 16 bit export, the problem still exists. but when I tried 8 bit + dithering export, the problem was solved. but it creates noise on normal map.

00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go for 32bit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact format are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want use textures in Unity and Unreal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The noise is normal, that's the actual dithering that reduces the banding artifact.

Other software may compress your normal map by default, so even if you use a 16bit normal map it will end-up looking bad because of the compression. This is a generally an accepted trade-off in game engines such as Unity to keep the memory footprint low.

You can try to change the setting of your normal map to uncompressed (or similar) to keep the raw quality. However this will icnrease the size of your texture in Vram.

I would suggest to stick with the 8bit + dithering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

you're Right, unity compress textures. so I disabled compression textures in unity.
So you suggest I set 8bit + dithering for all textures or only for Normal map?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It depends on the export preset you use, but generally yes dithering is only for the Normal map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources