Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Substance Painter Crashing Constantly/Glitchy on Second Display

Participant ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I just purchased a subscription for Substance 3D Painter and I'm not able to use it on my machine. I tried calling Adobe Technical Support, but Substance 3D Painter isn't one of the app options. I hope I can get support for my new product here as I have seen similar issues go unanswered.

When I drag Substance to my Wacom display to paint, it works momentarily, but becomes unresponsive if I click on 'Display Settings' or drag any of the UI's panels. 

Screenshot 2021-07-23 145118.png

So far I have tried:

• Updating my GPU driver to NVIDIA Studio Driver 471.41
  • Restarting
  • Deleting Preferences from the locations listed in the documentation
  • Removing software conflicts per the documentation. I looked in ShellExView for the Alienware computer shell extensions as described, but did not see the 'Alien Respawn' extensions in the list (see screenshot, below)
  • Changing the Windows Performance Setting to 'High Performance'
  • Checked NVIDIA Control Panel for a Substance 3D Painter program profile (I only have one GPU, so I don't think it's opening with the wrong GPU).

Alienware.png

System Information

Alienware Aurora R12

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Driver: Studio Driver 471.41

RAM: 128GB Memory

Disk: 2TB HDD x 2

Displays

1: ASUS PQ321Q

2: Wacom Cintiq 24 P

** ALSO **
I'm unable to click any of the links in your documentation, which was terribly frustrating. For example, this link from this page:
https://substance3d.adobe.com/display/DRAFTPAINTER/Software+conflicts

Redirects to this link:
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/3d-augmented-reality.html

I had to search for all of the links on Google in order to find the correct pages.

Overall, this has been a very difficult start with Substance 3D Painter. My log is attached. Please help!

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am currently looking into it and trying to gather more info, as we can not reproduce this issue so far.
What exactly is the model of Cintiq you are using?

If you set it up as your main display, does it "solve" the issue (at least temporarly, the time we look into this)?

Alice Girard-Ségaud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like SqareBox below i also didn't use a Cintiq but a Wacom Intuos combined with two 2790WG5 AOC screens.
All infos and logfiles are in my link above.

Setting up one screen as a main display does "solve" the crash issue but as mentioned above constantly shuffeling my workspace each day is a lot of wasted time. (Of course as a temporary fix it works.)

If you need more files let me know. Im happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also want to know how to solve this problem. Please let me know if the problem is solved. Thank you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

In case you missed my post above:

I am currently looking into it and trying to gather more info, as we can not reproduce this issue so far.
What exactly is the model of Cintiq you are using?

If you set it up as your main display, does it "solve" the issue (at least temporarly, the time we look into this)?

Alice Girard-Ségaud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I'm not using a Cintiq, I'm using a dual monitor.
As you mentioned the display settings, I checked and found that when the screen is a compound setting, there is no error (white screen), it works well, and when you choose to expand the display, there is a white screen. The phenomenon that occurs when an error occurs is that the main monitor (located on the left) runs (where the character logo appears when the program is turned on (ver. 7.1.1) and the program runs on the sub-monitor (located on the right) as a white screen and becomes unresponsive.
The funny thing is that if you shut down the program and set it back to Display Replication, the program will run well! I hope this is taken into consideration! I hope you get it resolved soon! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue still exists as of September 9, 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue as well--still an issue as of August 16 2022-- anyone find any fixes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Wacom 32". It hangs on launch if the Wacom is the main display. If my other monitor is the main display then Painter will start without hanging, but when I drag it to the Wacom and try to open any popup panel from any menu item or from right-clicking, it hangs. All the drivers are up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to work around this by not maximizing the Painter window. This solved the crashing issue with popup/flyout panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As another solution, I solved the computer specification by upgrading. The problem has been solved by upgrading only the graphics card from the existing GTX970 to RTX2060. Money solves the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lolll doesn't it always... 🙂 Well that's good to know. Thank you both for the advice! I'll try not maximizing the window on my cintiq. Also will think on upgrading the graphics card. I'm not tech saavy-- my current graphics card is a RTX 3060 Ti? Not sure if it's a good one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its 2023 and the problem is still around. It only works correctly if i set my wacom cintiq pro 16 as main screen. 

For me it looks like it starts and calculating substance only for the main monitor. As soon as i load a file or create a new one on the second monitor it crash. also worth to note, if i open a file on the main monitor and dropping it to the second one it seems to work even in full screen. If i close the window, so it will open at start on the second monitor it instantly freezing and crashes. 

Let me know if you need some more information, so i can finaly help to solve this problem.

My Hardware:

Windows 10 Home

Intel I9 13900 K 

32 GB RAM DDR5

RTX 3080 

Mainboard Asus Rog Strix Z690-F

Main Monitor Samsung LC49RG90SSRXEN ( 5120 x 1440 )

Second Monitor Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 (3840 x 2160 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dero273,

The main issue we're facing with the cintiq problem is the fact that (for a reason or another) we can't reproduce the crash from our side.

One potential lead would be the framerate difference between the screens. You might want to try to open the Nvidia Control Panel (right click anywhere on your desktop>NVIDIAControl Panel), open the Manage 3D Settings tab, add Adobe Substance 3D Painter under the Program Settings and disable the application controlled vertical sync option.

NvidiaControlPanel.png

Tell me if it helps, it apparently did for some users.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Cyril Dellenbach 

Yeah i can imagine by this amount of different systems today its not a easy task to fix.

Sadly your named solution does not work for my system.

Trough your thoughts i lowered the framerate to 60 for both monitors but again, this also wont work. 

I also took some more time switching substance from main to second monitor and revers and noticed it don't work on the second screen even it is my pc monitor not the cintiq. On the main monitor substance works perfectly in every case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a similar problem and I solved it. I removed all Asus motherboard drivers. Rebooted the computer. I checked that Substance Painter works well on all monitors. I installed only the most necessary motherboard drivers again.

Maybe this will help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources