Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tek Rifle has 2 Albedo Maps how to paint

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys

Trying to paint this Tek Rifle from ARK however has 2 albedo maps one for the rifle body and one for the scope, I can only seem to paint the body and it will replicate on the scope map making it look messed up any ideas on this one?

image-133.png

TOPICS
Discussion , Import & Export , UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

For the UVs on negative coordinates, you'll have to modify it in order to be Substance Painter ready, yes.

For the overlapping UV islands, this is something game studios sometimes do for optimisation, but it surprised me a little bit on the scope.

CyrilDellenbach_0-1685086082180.png

With that being said, there is probably a logical explanation and I don't know how it supposed to loook in game.

I let you enclosed the mesh with the right coordinates, but I left the overlapping UVs untouched. You can try it this way, but I p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Maxwell29923943q5go,

Thanks for the message.

If you already have two maps ready made for this model, maybe the current UV Tile workflow isn't the good one for your project. Try to set the UV Tile to Convert UV Tiles into individual Texture Sets (Legacy) at the start of the project.

UV Tiles Legacy.png

This way, you'll have two distinct Texture sets and the maps won't spill on each other. 

Let me know if this works for you.

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Cyril,

I have tried this and get the following error

Maxwell29923943q5go_0-1685007316604.png

Maxwell29923943q5go_1-1685007354732.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... Would you mind sharing the asset, so I can take a deeper look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go (:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error is due to the UVs. They have two main problems:

1. One UDIM has negative coordinates and unfortunately, Substance 3D Painter doesn't read UDIM in a negative space (below or on the left of tile 1001).

CyrilDellenbach_0-1685013562935.png

So make sure all the UVs are on a positive space before importing the Rifle.

CyrilDellenbach_1-1685013683668.gif

2. Some UV islands are overlapping and this is definitely something you want to avoid.

OverlappingUVS.gif

CyrilDellenbach_2-1685014461006.png

This is probably what was causing the initial spilling.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see this is actually a asset from the ARK Devkit from ARK Survival Evolved, do I need to modify the file to be ready by substance painter ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the UVs on negative coordinates, you'll have to modify it in order to be Substance Painter ready, yes.

For the overlapping UV islands, this is something game studios sometimes do for optimisation, but it surprised me a little bit on the scope.

CyrilDellenbach_0-1685086082180.png

With that being said, there is probably a logical explanation and I don't know how it supposed to loook in game.

I let you enclosed the mesh with the right coordinates, but I left the overlapping UVs untouched. You can try it this way, but I personally wouldn't bake the scope.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!!!!!! I tested and was able to make textures! I will have a look into the negative UV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources