Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The UV Tile UDIM workflow and ovelapping UVs

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Simple question: Is there a way to deal with ovelapping UV islands when using the UV Tile workflow in the same way there is when using the regular workflow?

The ability to offset overlapping islands onto the next UV tile over to have them mirror all the detail on the primary UV tile is convenient for making efficiently textured models, and I'd really like that convenience with the UV tile workflow.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Thanks for the feature request but from now you cannot have overlappings between UVs with Texture Sets or between UDIMs with the UV Tile workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feature request but from now you cannot have overlappings between UVs with Texture Sets or between UDIMs with the UV Tile workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You could use the mirror tools and set up your model in a way that allows efficient use of the mirror function.

GeoffroySC_0-1649253788692.png

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Geoffroy SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there,

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm trying to model in such a way that similar-looking elements of my model have UV islands that occupy the same space on my UV unwrap because of the limited texture size/budget I'm working with while also maintaining a certain texel density.

The mirror symmetry tool is good for painting where someone with a greater texture allowance for their assets, either through having multiple texture sets or a larger texture resolution, and as such can have unique UV islands for these mirrored elements. My constraints in this context, however, mean that having overlapping UV islands for details mirrored across the model is preferable both for technical reasons (maximizing my texture budget) as well as the time saved mirroring similar details to multiple parts of a model even if they aren't symmetrical.

I was just curious if I missed how to have both overlapping UV islands and use the UV tile workflow in substance as the UV Tile workflow allows me to work on many assets or larger assets within Substance Painter, such as saving me time when applying the same material to multiple models as opposed to copying them over into each texture set as generated by the conventional (non UV tile) Substance Painter workflow.

That aside, thanks for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources