Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use 50% grey as zero height?

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I'm looking to export height maps that use 50% grey as my baseline zero height because i'm displacing negatively and positively. However, when viewing my height channel in Painter, 0 height is always black and setting height to a negative scale doesn't seem to write any data into the height map. 

Could someone offer some insight on how I might set this up? For further context, I'll be rendering in Blender where the displacement has a setting to define the midlevel which I will have set at 0.5

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Don't be misled by the standard black height display for negative values. Those negative values are there - they are just not displayed as standard.  You can go to Display Settings > Channel Display and check 'Use +/- color for HDR values' which will show +ve values in green and negative in red (0 will remain black).

Whether you do the above or not, when exported the height map will become a greyscale and for example if exported as 16 bit PNG will be centered on 0.5 which you can plug directly

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't be misled by the standard black height display for negative values. Those negative values are there - they are just not displayed as standard.  You can go to Display Settings > Channel Display and check 'Use +/- color for HDR values' which will show +ve values in green and negative in red (0 will remain black).

Whether you do the above or not, when exported the height map will become a greyscale and for example if exported as 16 bit PNG will be centered on 0.5 which you can plug directly into Blender's displacement node with the 0.5 setting

More here: https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/height-map-painting-29130786.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Dave!

I had been misled by the standard black height display and have enabled the settings you've suggested and it is much better! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources