• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UV Border Distance Generator - Random dots on pieces?

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the UV Border Distance generator to create trim details on pieces of mesh, but am having some issues with larger meshes having these dots that seem to come from the generator.

The random dots seem tied to texture resolution. If I export in 8k there's significantly more, if I lower to 2k most go away but a few remain. Display is at 4k currently.

Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it/prevent it?

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hey again @Cyril Dellenbach,

ReUV mapping the object didn't do anything for me, the dots just kept moving around as I remapped it inside Blender, however I think I've found the issue.

In Blender, I am using the Subdivision Surface modifier on my meshes and when the alembic is exported it just bakes it into the model. Removing the modifier seemed to fix the issue and I noticed baking the modifier before export also fixed it. When futzing with the settings, I realized it's most likely the Limit S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lantios,

This definitely shouldn't happen. Would you mind sharing the project, so I can take a deeper look and check there's no bug involved?

Obviously, you can send it to my personal adress if you don't whish to share it here (cdellenbach@adobe.com)

Keep me posted,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again @Lantios,

I've check your file and was able to solve the issue.

UV Distance.png

To be honest, I've simply unwrapped the problematic UV island once again and everything went fine. My guess, is that this UV island had vertices unconnected to each other, creating some sort of "invisible holes".

CyrilDellenbach_0-1687277796474.png

Tell me if you're not able to correct the issue.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey again @Cyril Dellenbach,

ReUV mapping the object didn't do anything for me, the dots just kept moving around as I remapped it inside Blender, however I think I've found the issue.

In Blender, I am using the Subdivision Surface modifier on my meshes and when the alembic is exported it just bakes it into the model. Removing the modifier seemed to fix the issue and I noticed baking the modifier before export also fixed it. When futzing with the settings, I realized it's most likely the Limit Surface being on.

"Use Limit Surface" is on by default, so I've never bothered turning it off because I assumed it's important given that it's on by default. It says it "places vertices at the surface that would be produced with infinite levels of subdivison", which I think is where the unconnected vertices you describe must be coming from.

After turning it off, no more dots in Substance when I use the mask!

Thanks for looking into it, you helped me narrow it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources