• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What Shader for opacity and subsurface scattering? Help please.

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, hope you are having a great day. 

I have textured an old mobile phone model, it has a screen made of a glass material with the opacity channel set. This works using the PBR metal/rough with alpha blending shader. But now im trying to add subsurface scattering to the rubber buttons (on a different texture set) and this shader doesn't allow me to add an SSS channel. I changed the shader to PBR Metal / rough and can now select a SSS channel. I made a SSS material and it is working well. However my glass material for the screen has lost its opacity after changing shader. When i revert back to PBR metal / rough with alpha blending, the SSS doesn't show. Is it possible to have both opacity and SSS channels. Is there another Shader that I should be using for this or another setting that I have missed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas anyone please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!

I'm having the same problem 😞

Did you figure it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only solution is pbr with alpha test, is not going to do a clean alpha blending but you can change to alpha blending shader to work the opacity parts well 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried as yet, but have since learned that you can make a shader instance and use a different shader on different texture sets. So the buttons I can assign a shader capable of displaying SSS and then use a PBR Alpha blend shader  on the screen for the opacity. I'm hopeful that this is he solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

omg yes it is, thanks for the shader instance tip, I have pbr metal rough in the skin tex set and pbr alpha blend in the rest, it works perfectly! 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources