• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has anyone imported CAD (.STP) files into Stager?

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it appears there's no Enterprise Trial for Substance I was just wondering what people's experiences have been when doing this. Any issues you've come across? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, just a quick link to the import & export format in stager

https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/sg/import-export-formats-213060294.html

I'm going to test an import of a Stp file 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also export your file from CAD in OBJ to import in stager. I've no STP file to test but if you want i can test for you.
Share a STP file via Wetransfer or something like that .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the offer, but I'd really like to try this out with several CAD files just to make sure it works the way it's supposed to. I get most of my files from manufacturers in China and they're not going to convert them to OBJ files even if I ask nicely. Besides, I don't want to add another step when it's not needed.

From the lack of answers to my question, not many people are bringing CAD files into Stager. And Adobe seems to have no interest in providing a trial version for Enterprise users such as myself. Until they allow people like me to test out this functionality it looks like I'm sticking with Keyshot Pro even though the Substance interface looks a lot more usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to check if can find an answer to you 😉 I didn't pay attention to this limitation.
I understand what you want. We're not Adobe employees but we can find ways to help 😉
And yes, Substance tools are a way better, usefull and time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for looking into this. Adobe itself has not been very helpful in this regard, but maybe you'll have better luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'll do my best 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @MantaRay100 - Jeanette here, product manager for Substance 3D Stager.  As you mentioned, unfortunately there is no easy way to give an enterprise trial today.  I am happy to test a few CAD file imports for you if you want a few screenshots of how the data would be imported/rendered and can give you some standard performance information from it as well.

Our CAD import is powered by TechSoft which is a fairly industry standard library for CAD import support and likely similar to other import pipelines.  We currently 'rasterize' the CAD data to polygons at import time so it goes through a tesselation process which you have some control over with import settings.

Our CAD import workflow does not currently handle any integration with other tools for live-linking / data updates.  The file must be re-imported if the source changes.  This is something we have planned to keep assets in sync in the future.

Let me know if this helps or if you'd like me to try some sample files for you.

It won't help you today but we are also looking at how to make CAD import easier to test for everyone. 🙂

Senior Product Manager, 3D & Immersive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources