• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If I have 3DSMax, do I really need Stager?

Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stager doubles the cost ... what can it do for me that 3DSMax can't?

In addition the CC "All apps" doesn't include Substance 3D?

And finally, I've been paying $53/mo for years and now I see "All apps" listed at $40/mo?  How does one go about getting the lower monthly rate?

Cheers, Rob.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

If you have 3d MAX, you really do not need Stager or any other apps that can be used only for quick rendering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have 3d MAX, you really do not need Stager or any other apps that can be used only for quick rendering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ares 

I've got a similar question - I am a landscape architect - I work with mainly Autodesk software - 3DCivil/3DSMax/ Revit and basic Autocad.  I have been using lockdown to go over the considerable holes in my capabilities with these progs and have spent the last two months finally getting to grips with 3DSMax.  I ran into SUBSTANCE 3D today chasing an old Allegorithmic app that used to plug into 3DSMax back in 2010/11 called SubstanceBitMap2 Material. Frankly it blew me away as it not only explained all the variables in BitMapping Textures/extracting them from photos plus [Oh Joy!] gave you 3D images of the effects of changing these variables but also  gave you all the technical info/settings that you could then input into 3DSMax. Un b***** believable!  I suspect signing up for the full SUBSTANCE3D COLLECTION will be more than I need?  Would Substance3D Texturing would fit what I am looking for?  Would you know if it is compatible with 3DSMax 2016 - this was the last standalone version of the program and I cannot yet afford to sign up for the Autodesk subscription ie 2022. Thanks for your attention 

Ps I mainly put buildings and roads etc into landscapes [large scale landform] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Substance 3D collection give a lot of new workflow and possibilities for fashion, graphics and architects designer. You can try to review this course Blender and Substance Painter: Architectural Visualization Online Class | LinkedIn Learning, formerl...

Blender is free app and Adobe make input in it to use substance materials directly in Blender.  

I can suggest you to try Adobe 3d Substance app set for free 30 day trial version and make decision.

From my end I use this new set of app for fashion design with Marvelous Designer which also allow to use Substance materials directly. It works fine for my tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ares will follow it up. I have no experience on Blender. Assume
similar Workflow to 3DS Max?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. it one of the best free apps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ares, that was my initial assumption also, but glad to get validation from others.

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I stumbled across this topic and thought I would add my thoughts.

After Effects is now in BETA mode where it now supports the importing of 3D objects.  Once this is introduced to everyone, this means that there will no longer be a use for Stager for those who have more advanced skills.  I do believe Adobe is integrating 3D modeling as a way to eventually remove Cinema 4D, this way, everything belongs to Adobe.  As for Stager, I think it will get more advanced and as it does evolve it will be a great tool for those who wish to dive into 3D without knowing how to use a much more complex program as After Effects.   Long Live Adobe Stager 3D. I think it has so much potential.  In future releases, Stager will have much more animation possibilities,  the ability to export videos ( instead of still frames as it is at the moment ) and also will allow you to have control over how objects spin, rotate, orbit etc.. and will include the ability to keyframe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources