• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Substance a good option for creating VR and AR content?

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on AltspaceVR and other platforms and wonder if Substance is a good option to combine with Unity. Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

I think it depends on what you want to create.  Substance is a broad toolset and a leader in the game industry where Unity is highly used.  So it depends when you say "Substance" what you're looking for!

Substance Modeler is our modeling and sculpting tool.  You can absolutely use this to create game assets, but note that it doesn't have retopology tools so you'd need to do some work to decimate, retopo, and make the game light enough in terms of size to work for AR/VR which tend to have extreme

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO no. May be Aero or Modeler. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like @Ares Hovhannesyan IMHO No. But you design a scene in Stager. I think it's something to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it depends on what you want to create.  Substance is a broad toolset and a leader in the game industry where Unity is highly used.  So it depends when you say "Substance" what you're looking for!

Substance Modeler is our modeling and sculpting tool.  You can absolutely use this to create game assets, but note that it doesn't have retopology tools so you'd need to do some work to decimate, retopo, and make the game light enough in terms of size to work for AR/VR which tend to have extreme requirements.

Substance Painter is our primary texturing tool for painting assets and is the industry standard for most painted textures in games and films.   

Designer can be used to create parametric materials which can be used directly in Unity as well as in Painter/Stager.

Stager is a rendering and layout tool, so it could be useful if you want to do some small scene layout or material assignment work before going into Unity, but Unity can do all that layout and material assignment too, so probably not much point.

Senior Product Manager, 3D & Immersive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi,
Thanks for the info, maybe I should be more specific. I’m a playwright and I’m interested in storytelling in VR and AR. What I need is a way to create and costume characters that would be played by actors and a way for participants to interact. I also need scene building tools for environments. It’s not really a game but might share some elements.
Thanks
Clay

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources