• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize image applied to material

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported an .obj model with many layers and was able to apply materials and colors to my layers with no issues.  Our render looks great.  But now I need to apply an image to one of the layers.  I tried using the graphic "decal" option in materials but the image appears distorted (I had tried this in Dimension also, but had the same result).  I found another option, applying the image as a background (in the base color section).  The image now appears normal instead of distored, but I can't figure out how to resize to fit the model.  I've tried both .ai and .psd files of the same image and result is the same.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kate!  Can you share any screenshots of your project?  It can be difficult to debug visual and workflow issues without examples.

In general... 

This is most likely something wrong with the objects UVs.  UVs are an underlying system that maps a 2D image onto a 3D model by unwrapping the model so it lays flat.  Kind of like dielines for printing 2D boxes and folding them into 3D, but the opposite.

You can try using the menu Object > Generate UVs, which may normalize the UVs, but can also introduce seams in the textures and images.

Senior Product Manager, 3D & Immersive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I tried your suggestion and although it looks better, it is still warping the image.  [Also maybe a bug? I noticed that putting "180" in the rotation under Decal doesn't seem to do anything.  I can manually turn the image around.]  I've added screen shots of the model after applying the decal and also the original vector image so you can see what it is supposed to look like.

As for my workaround, I've also included that in the screen shots - you can see that it is almost what I am looking for if I could only move it around.  You didn't mention this so I am still wondering if applying as a background image is an option?  I would need the ability to resize and move.  If that's not a feature, it would be a great addition to the next version as I can't image others wouldn't want the ability move and resize background images.

Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah the screenshots are really helpful! 

In general this type of image matching MAY be too complicated for Stager.  Our decal feature is fairly naive and it can't really match up and go around holes very well.  You could try using the UV workflow instead.

• Select the part of the object model you want to apply the images to
  • Use Object > Export UVs
  • Choose your resolution output (I'd recommend maybe 4K for this)
  • This will generate a PSD that has your objects UVs in a layer file
  • Open the PSD in Photoshop or Illustrator

This tutorial is for Dimension but the feature exists and the workflow is the same in Stager:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/dimension/using/exporting-model-uvs.html

The other thing is that there might just be a bug with the model geometry if it's not allowing you to actually move the decal.  Unfortunately I can't check or report that to the engineering team without the 3D model file itself.  If you can send that, we can take a look!  If you need to share it privately, feel free to send to Substance3D-bugs@adobe.com. Note: Bug fixes do take some time and get rolled out in the next release usually, but sometimes we can see something with the 3D asset and help unblock it sooner too.

• Use your preferred tools to match the graphics to the model in Ps/Ai
  • Once you're happy save the file
  • Load it as a decal back in Stager and set it to fill mode.  Fill mode uses the objects UVs.
Senior Product Manager, 3D & Immersive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources