• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Override the Shared Version to Make A New Master Version

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a basic question, but we are really struggling with the answer.

Let's say we have 3 users: User 1, User 2 & User 3. Our media is Media A, Media B, Media C & Media D. User 1 uploads the 4 clips into the cloud and User 2 & 3 download the changed version. However, User 2, accidentally linked Media A to Media AA. So now there is a conflict because User 1 & 3 are linking to Media A but the cloud is confused as to whether it is Media A or Media AA. So now there are conflicts to resolve every time someone tries to share. User 2 gets a conflict asking how to resolve Media A and Users 1 & 3 get a conflict about Media AA. The simple answer is someone needs to tell the cloud that Media AA is really Media A. My question is how? Theoretically I think User 1 should just say Keep My Changes and User 2 needs to Take Shared Version. I don't think that is what happens though. We keep trying and this mysterious Media AA keeps popping up in our project.

I feel like there needs to be a new button labelled "Make My Version The Shared Version". But there is not. So, what is the solution?

Thanks,

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Yes, a "Make Version XXX the Latest" feature (like the existing "Make Auto-Save XXX the Latest") does not yet exist, though it sounds like it would be useful here. There may be a technical reason why it hasn't been implemented yet, but I'm not sure.

If your copy of the Team Project is in a good state now, I can think of two options to force everyone else into sync:

1. Big hammer approach: make a new Team Project from your local copy and have everyone move to that Team Project. You can do that via

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me more about these media, and how User 2 came to have a different one than users 1 and 3? Does each user have a clip named "A", but that clip refers to media called "A" for two users, and media called "AA" for the third (e.g. because User 2 used "replace footage")? Or are there two clips, "A" and "AA", and a sequence, "S", where S refers to the clip "A" for users 1 and 3, but S refers to clip "AA" for User 2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding PeterELee​.

I'll get specific about the media. When the media was originally ingested, someone incorrectly labeled it AA. It needs to be renamed as A. I went thru and removed all references to AA, deleted AA from the project and reingested the clip as A. For some reason, User 1 (me) & 3 have A, but User 2 still has AA. It's the same media, but called with a different name inside Premiere. When I link it on my project, it is fine, but the next time User 2, accesses the project, it seems to relink to AA and then throws my A offline. Somehow I need to tell Premiere to forget Media AA and only remember A. How can I do this?

Thanks,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand all of the steps, yet. Sorry! Is this what's happening?

1. In your copy of the Team Project, you have clip A that points to media A (the relinked media). You don't have AA.

2. In User 2's copy of the Team Project, they have both AA and A. AA is online, and A is offline.

3. When User 2 shares a change and you Get Latest, you get AA, which is online, but your copy of A goes offline?

If User 2 right-clicks on one of the clips in the Team Projects window and chooses "Properties...", does the File Path correspond to the correct media file?

Also, I'm assuming that you are using A in at least one sequence, and that User 2 has AA in at least one sequence. Is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, this is a confusing workflow. Let me try to explain in more detail.

1. I delete AA from the project and add A instead.

2. At some point, User 2 accepts changes. Not sure what conflicts they get. This is step I am working on. They might have checked "Keep My Version". They share their changes.

3. When I open the project, it now says I have a conflict, that the Shared version is different than my version. It is now looking for AA. I don't know what to choose. If I choose "Take Shared Version" it knocks A offline and sometimes AA shows up in the project. I can delete AA without a warning since it is not in any sequence. If I choose "Keep My Version", it does not replace AA. I wish there was an option that said "Make My Version the Shared version".

4. User 2 now sometimes gets AA in their project, which they can delete without warning since it's not in a sequence. A is now offline. It's a cycle that keeps repeating.

It seems that AA is still in the cloud or soemthing.

I want to know what steps I can take so we only have A and no more conflicts about AA.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the best thing to do is to get your copy of the Team Project back to the state it was in before you got User 2's changes, and then make that the new "current" state of the shared Team Project. Since every change in the Team Project is stored in a versioned, multi-user database, that should be possible. Here's what I suggest:

1. Choose Edit\Team Project\Browse Auto-Saves... This will show you a view of your own personal auto-save history in the Media Browser (sort of like "Time Machine").

2. In the Media Browser, move the history slider (on the right-side of the window) down until you find the point where the clip "AA" is no longer in the list of clips. Or you can go by date and time, if you know when the problem first appeared in your copy of the TP.

3. Right-click the name of the Team Project in the left pane of the Media Browser, and choose "Make auto-save (date and time) the Latest..." This will roll your local copy back to that state, before AA appeared.

4. Share your changes. This will cause the shared version to match your local copy.

5. Have User 2 Get Latest Changes and choose "Take Theirs" to resolve any conflicts.

Hopefully that will resolve your problems. If you need to recover edits that you made while the problem was happening, you can also use the Auto-Save history to go to the point you want to grab something from, and drag sequences and clips directly from the Auto-Save history into the current version of the Team Project.

I believe we have a feature request in our backlog for an easy way to reset a user's private state to match the latest shared version of the Team Project, but unfortunately that hasn't been implemented yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having all those auto-saves is a great feature, but it won't help me this time. I really like the auto-save interface so great job to the programming team!

However, we've been dealing with this different clips issue for a few weeks now so it's not possible to revert to an auto-save. There's 4 of us working on the project so I don't know who has the different clips. I just want to know the steps I need to follow so I can push my version to the other collaborators.

However, it sounds like that is still a work in progress?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a "Make Version XXX the Latest" feature (like the existing "Make Auto-Save XXX the Latest") does not yet exist, though it sounds like it would be useful here. There may be a technical reason why it hasn't been implemented yet, but I'm not sure.

If your copy of the Team Project is in a good state now, I can think of two options to force everyone else into sync:

1. Big hammer approach: make a new Team Project from your local copy and have everyone move to that Team Project. You can do that via "Save As..." or by using the "New Team Project from Version..." context menu in the Media Browser (I don't remember the exact naming).

2. More work, but stays in the same Team Project:

a. Everyone searches their copy of the Team Project for the clip "AA" and deletes any copies. If AA was being used in any sequences, this will mark those sequences as edited. They should click the "Share" button, but not actually share yet. Instead, they should look in the share dialog to see if any sequences are marked as edited. Make note of these sequences.

b. Make some sort of minor edit to your copy of each sequence that was marked as edited on another user's machine. This will force a conflict after you share and they get latest.

c. Share your changes.

d. Have each user sync, and for each conflict, choose "Take Theirs" to replace their copy with yours.

Personally, I would vote for option 1. You'll still have the original Team Project around, so you can see the history and import things into the new Team Project if needed, but you'll also have a fresh start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, I'll try one of these 2 solutions. Thanks PeterELee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines