• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link Media v. Media Manager in Team Projects

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a team on a multi-episode series where each editor has a hard drive with media and we are also transitioning to saving new media on the creative cloud. The editors say that when they recieve shared changes on their projects, a bunch of media goes offline. It is my understanding that media manger is able to remember file paths better than "link media." Is this the reason why media falls offline? 

Since the files on the hard drives do not directly mirror the files on the cloud, assigning media mappings takes forever and I am unclear if you are able to remap folders within media manager, not just files? And if the folders have different substructures within them, are they still able to remap? Lastly, if I have the cloud synced locally and map files to that, then push "share media mapping," is Premiere able to map the cloud locations on different editing machines and save time for everyone else that way, or will it ruin the mapping for other people, even though it is accessing the same cloud storage? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most fraught part of TP is media management, in my experience.

"Cloud" storage can be done, but ... I'm personally more comfortable with working media residing locally. Best playback/editing speeds and there just isn't the many chances for screwups to happen. "Linked" storage via dropbox-style service still has media itself on the local drive. And at times, when the service is checking to make sure things are completely synced while Premiere is working away, Premiere can get its feelings hurt and misbehave. Although some manage to pull this off without troubles.

That said ... the 'owner' of the project adds media via the Media Browser/Project panel. But no one else does ... in my experience, that's very, very bad.

All others (to me) should use the Edit/Team Projects/MediaManagement dialog to link to media within the project ... no matter where the media "lives".

I managed to completely screw up a project by linking via the Media Browser ... when I 'shared' the current changes, it changed all others to my mapping. Which ... um ... oops. And it took us a day or two to realize what had happened and get it fixed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Ideally you'd have one person who imports the media (and attaches the proxies) in a team project. Other collaborator should use the Media Management dialog to create a media mapping to point to the 'local' location of the offline files.
"Link Media" changes the media path globally for every collaborator and will break existing media mappings for other collaborators.

It helps if the directory structure for the media is exactly the same for all collaborator. This allows to only create a single Media mapping for the Top-Level folder, all media even in subfolder should be coming online as well. Folder with different substructures would require to create additional media mappings.
If you sync the media via Creative Cloud, media should come online without creating a media mappings on the collaborators machines.

Best,
Udo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines