• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A Bit Chilly in the USA & Canada

Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just seen this item on BBC News.  America and Canada are expecting -53°C (-64°F) temperatures in the next few days.  I am never going to complain about it feeling cold here again (it rarely gets below freezing).  In fact we have had three days of 35°C this week, thanks to Australia blowing hot air across the Tasman.  The article says you have been advised 'not to take deep breaths, and to minimise talking when outside'.  How are are the American ladies going to cope with not talking?!

I guess it is going to affect you all, but I'm thinking of Benjamin in Cedar Rapids, and perhaps more notable, Noel Carboni who recently moved from Florida to Minnesota to work at the Adobe Arden Hills location.  Noel, I hope the new job is going well, and I hope your family are still speaking to you.  

I've experienced -40° (which happens to be the crossover point for Fahrenheit and Centigrade) when I worked in the Environmental Test department of Ford Research, and I remember how it made my face feel tight and stinging.  I also worked in Rovaniemi in northern Finland (we did cold climate testing and sign off there every year) but I think -30°C was as cold as it got there, and that was plenty cold enough, so I can't imagine what -53°C would feel like.

As usual, Donald Trump is demonstrating his lack of understanding of the effects of Climate Change.  It's frightening when you think about it.  Is he smugly putting this forward as evidence to debunk Climate Change, or Global Warming as he repeatedly insists on calling it?  I have a feeling that he honestly doesn't know or care about the science, and how stupid it makes him look, and yet this man has the power to start a nuclear war!

I hope you and yours all stay safe, and come though it OK, and if you'd like to share your experiences that would be cool.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were all doomed Capt. Mannering...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I hope you and yours all stay safe, and come though it OK, and if you'd like to share your experiences that would be cool.

It’s beautiful here, Trevor. This morning I walked a little less than two miles to pick up my car after it had service. It was 35°F (1.6°C) and was quite lovely. It’s snowing now and they are predicting icy roads, so we cancelled our dinner reservations and I’m just looking out the windows at the falling snow. Tomorrow is when the “feels like” drops down to -1°F

The coldest I’ve ever been was camping at 18,000 feet (549 meters). It was well below 0°F. I don’t have the numbers, probably not what you had at -40F/C. Brrr!

“Ladies” now, Trevor? Not lasses or lassies?

But seriously, I’ve never heard about not taking deep breaths and to minimize talking when it’s cold outside. I’m thinking it was said by someone who doesn’t spend any time outside in cold weather. Are the Iowa officials afraid our words will freeze in thought bubbles?

The midwest is expecting drastic temperatures with windchill, and some of what I am reading says that if the houses lose heat, they won’t be able to regain it. They are putting out a call to watch for the elderly and pets.

If our POTUS ever said anything that made sense, people would wonder if it was really him who was doing the talking and not a ventriloquist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good here, Trevor.  I watched it start the day at -8F and blow snow, though much of the day was sunny.  It's -19F now and still blowing.  They say tomorrow it's going to get cold.  Good day, night, and day to stay inside. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chilly.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, looks like you got what we were supposed to get!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Is he smugly putting this forward as evidence to debunk Climate Change, or Global Warming as he repeatedly insists on calling it?  I have a feeling that he honestly doesn't know or care about the science, and how stupid it makes him look, and yet this man has the power to start a nuclear war!

Evidence to debunk Global Warming, Trevor? No, you misread his tweet — look a little closer. POTUS is asking about Global Waming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, its a little chilly here, Trevor - we are still at -22°F at the moment. Didn’t get quite as cold as was predicted, with a low of about -24°F. The wind chill did hit a sustained -55 last night, but the wind has since calmed down.

We do have tomorrow morning to look forward to; prediction is -30. From there we start to warm up...there is even talk of +47°F and rain on Sunday. Where the heck does that come from? Then we are back to typical Iowa winter weather after that...If there really is such a thing as typical weather in Iowa

Got most of the snow around here and at the neighbors’ cleared yesterday late before the air got too cold. The wind got strong overnight a few times so there was a little to clean up this morning along with the other outdoor chores.

Its really not bad. We are used to cold and, usually, dress warm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose POTUS pushed the "fridge" button (that's the red button near the read phone...) to make America cool again!

FYI: Formerly the red button was used to launch the nuclear war, but when Trump took over, people reprogrammed that button to launch the biggest refrigerator program ever.

Side effect: Illegal immigrants can't pass the wall of cold.

Alternate facts: Winter is coming!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our current frigid temperatures and the extreme heat in NZ/Oz were caused by a sudden blast of warm air in the Arctic, causing the Polar Vortex to split and to wander.  This article from Associate Press explains it pretty well.

Science Says: Get used to polar vortex outbreaks

So you can call it Global Warming or you can call it Climate Change. Please don’t call it Global Waming like our POTUS, who does not know how to spell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

In fact we have had three days of 35°C this week, thanks to Australia blowing hot air across the Tasman. 

we have plenty of people blowing hot air...  this is an election weekend

stay warm guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 11 days I will be in 80 degree weather --> Preview Symphony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+T+Smith  wrote

In 11 days I will be in 80 degree weather --> Preview Symphony

John, do I remember you mentioning a cruise?  If so, where will you be travelling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep... on the ship in the link I posted... to St Maarten & St Thomas & Nassau... this time in 1 week I'll be having breakfast on the ship

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep... on the ship in the link I posted... to St Maarten & St Thomas & Nassau... this time in 1 week I'll be having breakfast on the ship

That's cool.  Cruise ship holidays are a real adventure nowadays.  There's the bar furniture slalom, the helicopter dangle, the 100 foot abseil to the wildly bouncing lifeboat, and all sorts of exciting activities.   We expect you back safe and in one piece, so maybe give some of the more risky pursuits a pass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't expect weather like that in the Caribbean... the only "frothy liquid" will be in my rum drink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That ship lost power because someone in the engine room forgot to check the oil, and the automatic low pressure shutoff stopped the engine(s) before the VERY expensive engines could be damaged

Leaving for the airport in 20 minutes... Red Roof hotel tonight, Symphony of the Seas tomorrow and for a week

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That ship lost power because someone in the engine room forgot to check the oil,

Oh, no! How long was the power out?

Out of curiosity, how big was your ship and how many passengers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rescue operation, the cost of which can only be guessed at, is entirely covered by the Norwegian state. That is, we who actually pay taxes.

The owner of the Viking cruise company, conveniently living in Switzerland, is Norway's second richest man, with an estimated net worth of 5 000 000 000 euro. I'm typing that out in zeros to avoid misunderstandings with the American "billion". Last year he contributed a total of 6000 euro !!! in taxes. But that doesn't stop him from maintaining a luxury apartment in the most exclusive area in Oslo (the cost of which alone is about 10 000 times his tax contribution).

During the rescue operation, he took his private jet to appear on Norwegian TV and declare that he was "proud to be Norwegian". Yes, he actually said that. But he still sees no reason to pay taxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is finally getting warmer in MN.

Definitely above freezing during day and almost above freezing in night time.

YIPPEEE !

There are some minor flooding concerns having to do with melting snow and stuff... which (if you think about it ) usually involve water running DOWN HILL ( via rivers and streams etc.. )

Luckily I live in a little apartment on the 2nd floor of a building pretty far away from flooding things.

My biggest concern is rather a social problem.  Those who have been holed up for the Winter are now stirring about, moving out of their apartments and houses, and sharing their various mental challenges ( what we used to call insanity from cabin fever ) with the neighbors.

Oddly, the majority of immigrants who liked MN. weather and soil, which closely matched their home country growing season and way of life with a hardy Winter ( beginning homesteading around the beginning of the U.S. Civil War period ( Sioux Treaty, etc.)), are from the Scandinavian Countries ( Norway, Sweden, Germany, etc. ).  If you like living in an area that resembles the Winter of extreme Northern Western Europe, come have fun in MN. !!!!!!

You will have roughly 5 months to grow your crops. You can fish in many lakes ( including ice fishing ). It's really great !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

P.S.

You will not be alone if you don't like paying any taxes. Even Jesus was criticized for having a fun lunch with Tax Collectors.

Unless you are an idiot,, you won't like ANYONE with a hand in your pocket all the time.  This goes for subscription services, Software As a Service ( like win 10 ) and Basic Cable TV, etc.

Just kinda letting you know that people in MN. are not idiots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines