• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A rant about integrity (old programs stopped working)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I talked Adobe up for years, as one of the most consumer-friendly software purveyors. A company with integrity, I said. Now... comes the awakening.

Over the years, I have purchased Photoshop 3, 4, 5, and 6, Design Premium CS3, Lightroom 2.6, 3.2, and 4, and Dreamweaver 8.0. The money I spent is a drop in the ocean to Adobe, but it wasn't easy cash for me.

I still have original installation disks for CS3, Lightroom 4, and Dreamweaver 8.

EXACTLY ONE IS STILL WORKING. Are you coming for Lightroom next?

My CS3 quit a few days ago, despite having been set up for "Never Register".
I have followed the directions, repeatedly, for every activation solution I can find in Adobe Support and Community.
I've spent over 3 days, trying to solve the problem.

I'm sure nobody at Adobe cares about problems without $$, so I can't get human help. I would happily pay a support fee...

I know nobody will respond to this. Just had to get it said.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Software has an expected shelf-life of 3-5 years.  Beyond that, you are on your own.  That said, Adobe didn't make your aging software stop running.  You did that yourself when you allowed your computer to receive OS updates.  Eventually, the environment changed so much that CS3 could no longer run.   Either revert to your old operating system or restore your computer to a point before the changes occurred.  That's about all you can do until the next wave of OS updates kills your legacy apps.  A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's lots of things to be frustrated with Adobe about but I'm not sure this is one of them. One cannot expect old software to run on new computers. CS3 is tweleve years old now. If you want to run it reliably I think your best bet is to install it on a computer running Windows Vista or OS X 10.5, depending on which way you swing, and keep that computer from connecting to the internet. If you don't have a physical computer to do this with you could try it in a virtual machine. Adobe doesn't even support their current products so they're definitely not going to support outdated ones but if you're savvy with computers you can probably pull it off. I'd be interested to know if you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software has an expected shelf-life of 3-5 years.  Beyond that, you are on your own.  That said, Adobe didn't make your aging software stop running.  You did that yourself when you allowed your computer to receive OS updates.  Eventually, the environment changed so much that CS3 could no longer run.   Either revert to your old operating system or restore your computer to a point before the changes occurred.  That's about all you can do until the next wave of OS updates kills your legacy apps.  At some point though, you will have to decide which is more important  -- clinging to outdated CS3 apps or keeping your operating system current with the latest security updates.  

I remember using Dreamweaver 8 when it came out more than a decade ago.  It was good software back then  but I can't recommend using it today. The web has changed too much.  DW8 can't even understand HTML5 or CSS3 code.  Do yourself a favor and get a modern code editor.  Adobe Brackets is free and it runs on the latest operating systems (Win, Mac & Linux).

http://brackets.io/

Another thing to consider is a Creative Cloud  Photography Plan which includes Photoshop CC, Lightroom Classic, LR CC, Camera Raw, Bridge, Portfolio, Spark, 20GB of cloud storage space and other perks.  It's affordably priced at $10/month for 12 months.  And upgrades are free for as long as you remain a member. 

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,

I miss your banners ( images ) from the old forum. I'm not sure if you did the flatbed editing machine thing but there was something that had your name on it ( maybe the lounge ? ). You, Trevor, and others can make images and stuff way better than what I am seeing when I log into this new forum. It's random ( different background image when I log in ) but really, who in the world would think this sample represensts anything professional and beautiful ... especially considering this suite of programs is meant to appeal to designers, photographers, editors or illustrators etc...  if anyone can tell me one thing that's nice about this image I'd love to hear it.

adobe stock.png

What is happening with progress ( 8 bit to 16,32,64 ) and new raw and other codecs and new O.S. and new hardware ( and dreamweaver when it was macromedia ), is sorta normal, but most programs try to keep some backward compatibility. If sticking 20 lbs. into a 5 lb bag, it can get messy. Some effects in PPro are still 8 bit apparently, while others are the worshipped 32 bit floating point. Some montitors are OK and some are not and all the rest of that rotten stuff that people freak about to make stuff for a product ( whether for themselves or some client ). It is very complicated ( learning pro stuff ) and support is very helpful. If a cell phone is shooting cat videos with variable frame rates and it don't work in PPro with long GOP to SD card, then it's difficult to sell the Adobe product to younsters who use their phones to see the world around them and describe it to their friends visually with sound.

I love the fact that the new master of the forums is inviting fellow stoked individuals to learn and be inpired with these new forums, but it simply isn't working yet, and is a step backward. The subscription model is working OK for the pie, and the pro's are a very small part of that pie.

But I have to say it's not nice that the people, like you, Trevor, Kevin, and countless others ( who've been here for decades and are VERY TALENTED AND SMART ) have been left in the lurch as just an appendage to this new approach to sidestepping the responsibility of supporting products for the users.

I got kicked off without a notice because I suggested the new master of the universe not throw himself off the Golden Gate Bridge, due to making this forum a total mess ( despite years of planning and testing and so on to make the switch ). I don't think that person could do anything creative without an adult supervising him. I wouldn't trust him to walk my dog, let alone support my NLE products.

But all you ACP, VIP's, Professionals, etc... who just plod on with your own lives and method of determing personal 'integrity' are way more important to keep on board and give feedback that is ACTED ON by Adobe, instead of some stupid acceptance of " Things are going to improve very very soon, because WE are stoked !"

Some guy thinks Davinci is making ( from ground up ) an NLE simply to sell $30,000 panels. Some guys thing MAC ( with P3) is dooomed to failure ... it's normal. Everyone has their own self promotional clown act. I know famous actors, directors, producers who will tell you ( off set ), " I belive in UFO's." OMG. Everyone should aim toward doing the best they can and do what they can and Adobe is NOT APPRECIATING in the least what people like YOU do and have done.

I look forward to changing my email again so when I get kicked off without notice by some god of Adobe I can come back and say to Adobe ....

Have some respect for your customers and those who have spent many years helping other users on these forums.

And let Trevor and Nancy give you some halfway decent screen shots for the sign in page, cause what you have up there now is a joke.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another one... is this fungus or a bad hair day ???

What is it.png

I get two "featured' posts ... one about stuttering and bad playback and one about stuff looking darker in PPro than other places.. 

To me this is like negative. It's focusing on the 'bad' ( not working for tons of people ) aspects of the program. Granted the clowns do a good job of tap dancing and explaining how they FIXED stuff but basically this is like stuff I have to see for the rest of my life when I log into the forum.

It's like if I was a caveman and had to survive with other cave men ( in same cave ) I have to look at these two cave paintings that are both very negative about the screwed up problems with the program.

I am very positive in my approach to things... and I would rather see a cave painting of someone sticking some animal with a spear and draging it back to the cave so I can dress it and cook it and eat it and everyone in the cave is happy as a clam.

So why is the forum focusing on the negative with posts that are extremely disheartening, unless you have some personal self promotional clown act, as an 'artist' , instead of drawing on the walls some beautiful products ( experiences and good food, yum ) ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just earned the 'earnest helper badge'.. You must be kidding me. ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all my efforts to find out what happened and what I could do, I hadn't considered OS updates. At least that makes sense... 

In the years I worked with these apps, I enjoyed the upgrades in a new version - and made sure I installed them during a lull, so I'd have time to learn. Now I'm retired. I won't be spending 30-60 hours weekly, learning - and depending on - the shiny new tools. I just want to process my personal photos and play with arts and crafts projects. I just wanted the familiar tools, not a long learning curve. But now that you've given me a logical reason for my problem, I'll quit whining. I'll shut up, and take myself back to school.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Lounge forum, as this is not a request for help using the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as Kevin Monohan suggested.. the new forum can be used to share creative ideas... 

this is a weird image.. 

When I was in junior high school I learned to make a zinc etching and made a hand under a cross ( like a Christian cross ). Now that I am a lot older I did the same thing with some photo stuff and made the earth the new icon. Instead of a cross it's the home all things live on and should have some love for. After all, there is no where else to live ( it's like being in that cave with drawings on the wall, but way more serious now ).

I made the grid to use carbon paper onto canvas and do it with acrylic. I'm probably too old now to finish it. Who knows.

Maybe when I am half vegetable I will do it.

I want the hand to be 'under' the earth, as if it is responsible to help it and love it and be part of it.

This is what Kevin was talking about ( re: sharing stuff in forums to make stuff and share ideas, etc. with the new forum ).

I think Trevor could do justice to this cause of his expertise with psd. I can't. It's about 2 feet high or 30".

It's a cave painting I wouldn't mind seeing, instead of the 'featured' paintings of how things don't work in PPro.

I doubt the stoked god will get the point.

earth home.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gets better and better....   here's another great sample of what adobe can do...

bakery.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, CS3 is over 12 years old. Are you still using a 12 year old computer? Lightroom 4 was released in 2012 - I am using a late 2012 Mac, so that is possible. You say you would happily pay a support fee - for just $9.99 a month you can have the latest LR and PS, better than support.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, Mellisa, I had a 1982 mercury cougar 4 door ( 6 cyl ) with 'carberator' until 2 years ago ( got new car). And I use cs6 creative suite ( sorta ). With win10 speedgrade won't work, nor AE, even with 'run as admin'. But I still use psd and audition and they work great as always... I feel sorry for people who get onto the rat race where you have to upgrade the entire computer and monitor stuff just to keep up with new programs. Sometimes hardware advances drive the software companies to catch up.. and sometimes it's the other way around...

If the outlaw gas cars in my state of MN. so everyone goes electric, I'll be doomed !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The machine is 10 years old with significant upgrades. It's well with the specs for CS3. Not so sure about CS6... guess I'm about to find out. (I hope I won't have to $$upgrade$$ this well-functioning machine.) And yes, $10/mo will subscribe me. However, I'm now going to have to learn all over again, jumping from CS3 to CS Cloud. That's going to put a hurting on my retired senior brain. And I won't be able to occasionally slip into InDesign, Illustrator, or AcrobatPro without paying extra... again, retired. And dang it, they WERE still running on this machine, and I want them back!! (whine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merry, my main desktop editing machine is 5 years old ( upgraded graphics card last year using pce-x16 slot and put in BM card for SDI in and out to a real video monitor that a DP sent me in a calzone case from NY) But I can't upgrade cpu or ram unless I get new MOBO and then I have to screw around with all the drives ( lots of SSD and physical drives in it ). In other words, with new mobo I'd have to lose everything on the drives ( one couple is raid ) and it just aint worth it. Plus my monitors are all full HD, so I'd be looking at a totally new system for around $10,000 and ( like you) I'm retired and fixed income and so it's not gonna happen. Plus, even the new systems are not as easy as it used to be to get exactly what you want ( the number of USB ports, ESata ports, BD drive, etc. etc. ). At my age this is it... full HD land, and now running resolve 15 with 16gig ram ( pretty much the minimum ) ... 

I'll never subscribe to a SAS (software as service) and my edit computer is NOT hooked up to internet, which I consider ( especially with win10 shoving stuff down my throat ) insecure and stupid to sign up for ... so I just pull out the LAN cable when everything is up to date and working, and that's that.

On another note ( and its related in a way ) I have a laptop and like to contribute to forum here, but now I'm getting some 2 step sign in prompts ( yesterday I couldn't sign into forum cause it wants me to choose traffic lights and then get a secret code in email and enter THAT to just sign in) For some weird reason I could sign in just now without doing that... but I don't trust it. My bank doesn't even require me to do that to do my online banking. What is adobe trying to do ? Track me more, install more stuff on my computer for a 'handshake' ( so it knows everything I am doing on my computer ? ) I don't get it. So my longevity here is extremely questionable and to be honest I doubt I really help very many people anymore, cause I only have CS6 creative suite.

We just have to do what we can and help people as much as we can, and just make choices about what we are willing to do in order to have our own security, and not be interrupted during that . Like, win 10 says I gotta upgrade in the middle of editing, or Adobe says, I have to resubmit my bank account ( they have their hand in my pocket automatically every month ) cause my bank merged with some other bank, or my bank balance went below what I need to pay the bill automatically.. I just don't get it. Why would anyone in the world allow others to have control over that stuff ????  I really don't get it.

Nobody in the whole world edits with PC and Adobe, for those reasons... cause they do it for very serious reasons ( to work with clients and do the work fast and not have some clown act put a screen up that says " you need to log into your adobe account with secret code and verify your bank information ) or whatever. That's like talking on the phone with your loved one, who is trying to get help from you cause they are lost on a wilderness camping trip, and the phone company cuts in and says, " I'm sorry, but your minutes are very low using your current plan. Would you like to extend your minutes by submitting a special code and your new bank account info ?? "  What the ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Luckily stories can be told both with music and video , even if the video is just still images ( like Ken Burns documentaries, etc. ) So we use our computers and editing programs to do that. Tell stories. Bring people together by sharing stuff with love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4983sAoLdM&app=desktop

: )

can do with CS3

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines