• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BEWARE of Text / Zelle Money Transfer Scams

Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beware of this Text Messaging scam that transfers money from your bank account with the Zelle money transfer app.   The scam has so far targeted customer accounts at two major US banks  -- Bank of America and Wells Fargo.  But others may be targetted, too

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/zelle-scam-police-renew-warning-about-money-transfer-app

The scam starts with the victim receiving a text message from a number claiming to be from a bank’s fraud department. The text will mention a suspicious payment through Zelle and ask the recipient to verify the transfer.  DO NOT FALL FOR THIS.  The scammers walk you through a series of steps to "prevent" the fraud from occurring but are in fact baiting you into a trap of their own.

Victims have not been able to recover lost funds because they approved the Zelle transactions.  Once money is transferred, it's gone forever.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alongside this don't purchase "naturual flowers online rn" I just had 90$ paid for a garbage wrethe in december. I want to sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always had good luck when buying flowers online from reputable nationwide florists like FTD.  Your mileage may vary however, depending on the season and florists you deal with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing was I knew I was getting it from a trusted friend, but then apperently it was a poser selling crap from china. It came late, and it was piece of trash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how this relates to the topic about Zelle money scams but whatever... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wouldn't touch anything from zelle money, that kind of stuff goes straihht into my trash so I probablly haven't even seen it. These mistranactions seem like zelle money has a faulty transer situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong with Zelle.  That's not the scam.  If you read the article I linked to you'd know this is a lot more sophisticated than that.  

This is about scammers pretending to be Bank Fraud officers and duping victims into thinking an illegal money transfer has been authorized on their account.  Zelle works very well, perhaps too well.  That's what the scammers are counting on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd never overestimate to the security of a transaction. Bank fraud is easily avoidable is more based on the security of your account then it is the security of company. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bank fraud happens more than most people realize.   127 million Americans have been victims of credit/debit card fraud at least once. 

https://www.security.org/digital-safety/credit-card-fraud-report/

Electronic card skimmers scanned people's cards as they walked down streets, totally unaware of what was happening until they saw their statements.  So bank fraud is not easily avoided unless you know what to look for and how to take steps to protect yourself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HOW TO SPOT A CREDIT/BANK CARD SKIMMER:

How to Spot a Credit Card Skimmer (msn.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines