• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buying a new Mac and privacy

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are people's thoughts and experiences?  I edit a talk show and can be controversal at times...is Mac a good way to go?  Does it not matter?

Thanks.

Yvonne

The Unknown Zone Talk Show

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yvonned6510324,

Regardless of which devices and platforms you use, privacy begins on your end. 😕

• When not in use, disconnect devices from the Internet. 
  • Likewise, disable cameras & microphones.
  • Limit the number of administrative users on your device.
  • Use the latest security, anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware software. 
  • Update operating systems with the latest security patches.
  • Secure idle devices with secure passwords.
  • Use only hard passwords and encrypted keys (17+ upper & lower case alpha-numeric characters and symbols).
  • Change passwords at regular intervals (4-12/year).
  • DO NOT use common (soft) passwords — QWERTY, password, LetMeIn, 12345...  If you can remember a password, it's not secure enough.
  • Do not save passwords on devices.  Write hard passwords on a sheet of paper and store in a secure location to which only you have access.
  • Encrypt data files with File Vault or similar encryption software.
  • Protect digital property rights with Digimarc encoding (aka digital watermarks).
    https://www.digimarc.com/industry/media-entertainment

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honsestly why do you want to get a Mac?

I used to love Mac... in fact, I was a Mac Fan Boy back in the day.

But then in 2014, Wacom provided me a Cintiq Companion 2 that was running Windows.  I never looked back.  I then got the Wacom MobileStudio Pro in 2018.  These rocked my world as I could draw directly on the screen.

Last year I had a desktop PC tower built (with future forward thinking)... one that can do a lot now and even more if I choose to explore new software.

See I am done with Apple.  They want you to buy a MacBook and iPad.  They could have MacBooks that are touch screen or an iPad that could run every piece of software.  Instead they want you to buy two devices.  I figured this out since I work in Marketing and PR... the more you look at Apple the more dodgy they seem.  It is all about milking the consumer for his or her or their money.  No offense to those who still love Apple.... but.... just saying.

You can get a rocking PC for half the price.  Or get a Wacom MobileStudio Pro where you can draw directly on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just always buy faster and more powerful than you currently need as you may want to explore new types of art in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines