• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Adobe Fix the Muse EOL Issue Before May 2019?

Advocate ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were sad to see the official announcement, last week, that Adobe Muse has ceased development.

Let’s be honest. This Adobe decision is going to create a hardship for Muse designers, who do not code. There’s been a great deal of anxiety already expressed about this Adobe announcement. Many users of Muse create great websites for clients. Those Muse designers are justified in feeling abandoned by Adobe.

Adobe will continue to support its very designer-friendly app, for web/mobile projects, into May 2019, but after that, it’s pretty much entering the history books of Adobe web/mobile EOL (end of life) apps.

It is our hope that over the next 14 months, before Muse support closes, Adobe will provide a solution, which allows Muse users to cleanly migrate their projects to another Adobe app.

Your Muse app won’t stop working, but will it be useful? What happens is that browser apps are improved and computers and mobile devices get OS (operating system) updates. Older Internet creation apps are then not equipped to keep up with the newer technology. So, using Muse, this time next year, might create something which has poor user experiences.

We’re not new to this Adobe EOL thing. When the Internet was young, Adobe created a PageMaker like app called PageMill, which we enjoyed. PageMill’s 1.0 version launched November 1 1994. Later, Adobe dropped PageMill and acquired GoLive. During the 2005 Macromedia acquisition, Adobe sent GoLive to the graveyard in favor of the far more popular Dreamweaver.

So, how many websites do we have out there which we designed with Muse?

Zero.

For us, and many web/mobile professionals, Muse was a great tool for doing fast prototypes of sites. We do the heavy lifting with Dreamweaver. One of the downsides to Muse was that it was not practical to drop that prototype work into Dreamweaver and finish the project. The code which Muse generated was not as sleek and elegant as what Dreamweaver creates. The Muse code was quite “verbose” and could cause very involved websites to load slower than they should.

However, we felt a certain ownership of Muse. When Adobe was pondering the development of Muse, we were the first people they interviewed about it, to get our feedback on the idea.

The Muse UI (user interface) grew out of InDesign. It would be our dream to have some of the Muse UI become a great new feature set in Dreamweaver. (We’re not holding our breath on that one, though.)

So, how will we prototype things, now?

Admittedly, we have not been big fans of Adobe XD. It needs more love. Fortunately, the captain of the Muse ship is joining the XD team, so we have a feeling some good things are about to happen for XD. If a XD prototype project could migrate right over to Dreamweaver, that would be a huge plus for designers and make the lives of coders much easier, too.

Without a doubt, Adobe has made a mess of things for its users of Muse. In our minds, Adobe has about a year to make it right (sooner than one year is better).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

I see your point but I'm not sure the Adobe XD team agrees

anyway Muse is dead and its time to move on

XD is a nice, free, design toy for prototyping but it doesn't generate standards-based code for the web or mobile apps.  Unless that changes, I can't take XD seriously.   Maybe you know something I don't?

Create & share designs, prototypes for free | Adobe XD CC

Yes.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I known Adobe is putting truck loads of time, money and people into XD (which is more than Muse ever got) and I know its coming along in jumps so in a year or two we can take it seriously so I don't agree that click | drag design was the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse was born out of InDesign which is a print design app not a web design app.  You can freely move & resize things on screen.  But to take that free flowing design from print to  browsers takes a ton of inefficient JavaScript code.   Frankly, I have yet to see a Muse site that doesn't take forever to load.   Slow, slow, slow. 

If Muse had been built less around the free flowing traits of InDesign with more emphasis on CSS box model and web standards it might have enjoyed a longer shelf life, quicker page loads and greater expandability.   But it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun to use.

IMO, Muse's fate was sealed when they released it in 2012.   It had no longterm future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

If Muse had been built less around the free flowing traits of InDesign with more emphasis on CSS box model and web standards it might have enjoyed a longer shelf life, quicker page loads and greater expandability.

The concept behind Muse wasn't bad; it followed on from GoLive (GL). But GL goes back to a much younger, more simple WWW model.

The code which Muse generated was never great. It went from lousy to almost okay.

Could Adobe have thrown a few million dollars of human resources (HR) at Muse and made it great? Of course.

Did that make business sense? Apparently not.

Can Adobe grow XD? They seem to be throwing HR at it and the Muse Product Manager, quite a Maverick herself, is now on the XD team, so Janet & I have hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you used XD?  I haven't found any practical use for it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you used XD?  I haven't found any practical use for it yet.

Janet & I try to get out in front of things.

Right now? No. XD has nothing to offer us.

Down the road? Once Adobe shows us their card, maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I see it,  there are only 3 options.

1) Keep using Muse.  

2) Commit to learning code basics & working with native HTML files. 

3) Start over with  another web design app.

You do not see Adobe resolving the issue they created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee  wrote

You do not see Adobe resolving the issue they created?

No I don't.   Adobe's direction is Cloud Experience and marketing.  They couldn't care less about Muse or BC users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's direction is Cloud Experience and marketing.

You don't feel Adobe's direction has anything to do with Creative Cloud and Document Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea   wrote

Adobe's direction is Cloud Experience and marketing.

You don't feel Adobe's direction has anything to do with Creative Cloud and Document Cloud?

Follow the money.

Adobe to Acquire Magento Commerce | Adobe Newsroom

Some Thoughts on Adobe's Purchase of Magento.

https://dri.es/my-thoughts-on-adobe-buying-magento-for-1-68-billion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the money.

Adobe to Acquire Magento Commerce | Adobe Newsroom

Thank you this Nancy.

Janet & I have been into that 1-3 hours o sleep a night mode for most of May and are trying to take an hour or two, today, to breathe. We have not been on top of this development.

For Adobe, this makes sense. They have become quite a leader in these analytical tools and the revenue stream is starting to stack up with Creative Cloud and Document Cloud.

I see where some people could see that this eCommerce investments are the new version of the beginnings of Muse.

Do you see some sort of relationship to the acquisition and what is/was the Adobe CC web/mobile family of:

• Animate

• Dreamweaver

• Muse

• XD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Kat+Gilbert  wrote

FYI- strangely the beta for Muse is still listed on prerelease. Someone should see that this is changed. Sadly that this is over but hopefully something positive will happen with XD!

That's what Janet & I hope, Kat.

We don't know if that answers the needs to the CC subs who use Muse but its a positive path forward, especially if it opens doors to Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brad+Lawryk  wrote

So it saddens me to see Muse go, but I'm not surprised or put out at all about it. It does leave some lingering trust issues though.

In all candor, we did not see it coming.

The Muse following is significant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines