• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts REPEATEDLY Disappearing?

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on files that I have previously created, sometimes even same day, usually even on the same machine the files were created, we keep getting the 'Missing Fonts' deal. We're not talking eclectic fonts; whatever the problem, it doesn't discriminate. Gotham, Edwardian, typekit fonts (easy fix), Helvetica, and so on. My team has a fonts folder on Dropbox that we've backed up to and cross-coordinated with to make sure everyone can work on anything at any time. I've re-installed the entire Gotham and Garamond font families 3 times today along with others. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which program(s) you're using.  In my experience, fonts need to be installed on the local system to be available to software programs.  Drop-box won't cut it.  This goes for Photoshop, MS Word, Outlook, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, etc...

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. The font install files are located in Dropbox, but all of the machines, when installing a font, are installing to the font book and correct location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe some of the fonts are a) not the right file type or b) corrupted or c) duplicated. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fonts can be anywhere with a font manager. The problem is, Dropbox et al sometimes confuse font managers. I would recommend you create a sync set up that synchronizes fonts from Dropbox to a local folder, and then point your font manager to the copies in the local folder. Look into using Hazel, Automator, or FreeFileSync (via the RealTimeSync utility) to effect the font synchronization.

You could also use a server-client font management system like Extensis Suitcase Fusion and Suitcase Server. The server would then store the full set of fonts while taking care of serving them when needed to the clients on your network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines