Exit

Has anyone used a Propane smoker?

Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ordered this one at Home Depot, which is due to arrive tomorrow the 9th

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LANDMANN-Vinson-VS32-3215GS/306247726

1st test will be a 2 hour run with fish, to check temperature calibration and general use... next will be a 9 pound pork shoulder (to make pulled pork) which will take 10 hours

Has anyone else used a propane smoker... of any brand?

-any favorite recipes?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smoker arrived, some assembly required (attach base/legs to body)
Tomorrow will be first use... 1/2 & 1/2 Apple & Hickory chips
9 pound pork shoulder will take 10 hours at 225 degrees
3 part rub all over, heavy on top of the fat layer
Equal parts...
-Grill Mates Montreal Steak
-Grill Mates Barbecue powder
-McCormick Garlic powder

SMOKER.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recipe for pork says 1 to 1.25 hours per pound @225 so I was planning on 10 hours for 9 pounds

Wife said she was ready after 9 hours, so I brought it inside on a cookie pan... the thinner part on the right (about 3 inches cut off the end) was done... the rest had to go back in for another 2 hours

The next time I do pork I will get a boneless roast and cut it in half to cook the 2 pieces quicker

PORK.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My second use of the smoker was going to be beef brisket... except the 'supply channel' has been disrupted by the virus, so I had to use chuck roast instead... since it does not have a layer of fat to melt down and keep the top moist I put strips of thick sliced bacon on the top... the one on the right is darker because it was marinated in apple cider vinegar (a test for my wife and a recipe she found)

Result after 3 hours at 225 degrees F - the marinated piece was more tender, as well as having a 'slightly' vinegar taste... enough to be noticed (wife really likes the taste) not so much as to be offensive... so all future beef will be marinated to help with tenderizing

BEEF1.JPG

BEEF2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines