• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm a genius! Solved sound sync with Atomos and D800

Mentor ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cavemen have probably been doing this forever, but I finally figured it out.

I use a d800 and HDMI out to Ninja ( 1080p 24fps, DNxHD). Normally I sync sound with slate and little recording gadget ( TASCAM).

On one shoot I had a little shotgun rode on hot shoe of camera plugged into mic of camera, as a sort of 'backup'.

The man helping me on job (turning TASCAM on and off for takes) did something weird at one point and a few sound takes were no good after that.

Luckily I had the stupid little rode on top of camera and talent was close, so I used THAT sound. BUT discovered it was out of sync 3 frames. I had the slate to use and figure that out.

The sound gets recorded faster than video stream data can be compressed, so it's out 3 frames....sound coming first.

In editor, unlinking sound, and moving sound forward with mouse really was hard, cause it's not accurate and it's a hit and miss sorta operation.

I just realized a few minutes ago (cause I'm gonna go out with camera soon and shoot with that little shotgun on camera) that I can CUT at the end of 3rd frame, move CTI to that spot, unlink sound, and move sound with mouse and it will more or less SNAP to that CTI position !  HOW COOL IS THAT ??

I bet everybody already knew this but I just figured it out. Haven't tried it yet, but it should work fine.

: )

anybody else figure out any genius things lately ???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about being a wood working genius (I measure twice, and my cuts are still sometimes wrong) but I can for sure say I was tired at the end of the work day... but I did have to agree with her that the wall (and the covered area) came out OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curiouser and curiouser !  hehe, thanks for new pic.

You still have those nice fish in garden ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different house now, and only goldfish in the current pond

I built the shelves to the right go in the wall in a bathroom, and wife changed her mind... so now screwed to a 4x4 roof support so she has a place to put her stuff as outside decorations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+T+Smith  wrote

I built the shelves to the right go in the wall in a bathroom, and wife changed her mind... so now screwed to a 4x4 roof support so she has a place to put her stuff as outside decorations

Nice idea John, but wouldn't it have been easier to use a bit of wood? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was just thinking the first good wind will have those top items smashed... perhaps he glued them in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

was just thinking the first good wind will have those top items smashed... perhaps he glued them in?

I put one up last year.  You use self drilling screws with load spreading plastic washers.  The panels are nice and flexible when new, and cut easily, but inevitably get brittle with age.  The panels I replaced were about 20 years old.  The screws are stainless steel, and cost more than the plastic sheet. 

On the plus side, no turtle is ever going to mistake one of these for a jelly fish.

I assume that The Donald is denying there is a 'plastic' problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks really nice. Color is cool, and stuff on shelves looks pretty. Is that roof translucent where light goes through it ? I can't tell.

Everything back there looks airy and open and functional.

Good job !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool. I had never seen those washers before. Good to know. Would be good for plexiglass and other plastics too.

For controlling outdoor light coming into windows at 'locations' ( if you're gonna shoot there on and off for a long time, like a season of TV episodes, for example ) people use various methods. One is to 'tent' off the area (side of house, etc. ) with black so it's totally dark, and lights are added inside the tent to put light in the windows, doors, etc. But sometimes (like a skyscraper that has a fairly narrow balcony running length of building ) you can put up sheets of color temperature Orange ( see FULL CTO color correction ), and sheets of ND. These are 'hard' sheets, rather than the 4 foot rolls of CTO and diffusion stuff available from Rosco and Lee filters. Although there wouldn't be wood on a modern skyscraper to use the screws and washers you posted, there would be some places where it could be used, rather than the fender washers I've used in the past. Metal washers sometimes crack the plastic if you aren't careful.

Thanks for sharing info !

YOU'RE A GENIUS !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roof panels are galvanized steel... wife has some sun sensitivity so to stand and work at the bench she needs total shade

Also, I park my truck in the front of the garage, not in the back where she does plants

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my truck, loaded with packing boxes to go to recycle after we moved in

Paper1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aha. Good going on making nice area for her to work.  Trevor did a fantastic job pretending your truck was in back yard. Took time and came our really funny. That was nice of him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, what a cool truck !  high suspension so you can go off road … stretched cab for extra storage inside. Very nice !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toyota makes a 4 wheel drive model that sits higher, but since I don't do off road driving I got the 2 wheel drive model

I can carry a full square yard of potting mix or a 1/2 yard of gravel... or cardboard to the roof level

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very cool. I love pickup trucks. Had old one a long time ago. Had a bad wrist pin on one piston and you could hear it when owner started it. Offered him a price and he took it a few weeks later when nobody else wanted it. Rebuilt engine and it was cool after that.

That was around 1972 in Denver. Used to play pickup softball games in city park ( Cheeseman ? ) with both males and females playing. Was great fun. Used pickup to get dirt from one part of park and bring it to softball field to fill in bases and areas that had standing water from rain the day before. Park Rangers let us do it. Was cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got in touch with a 'farm' nearby, which is part of a park system ( kind of like a state park, but it's not a state park - hard to explain without giving details ). Anyway, I asked if I could have permission to go there and pull over to the side of the road (in the park area which is extensive) and set up camera on tripod and shoot stuff for personal enjoyment ( no client, not commercial ). The minion who got my request sent me an application ( $25.00 /hour ) and also request production insurance ( liability insurance naming the specific park ) of about $1,500,000.

To get the insurance I would have to establish a sole proprietorship or LLC.

There is farm land there and also animals like horses and cows and sheep etc.

So, after due consideration I had a I AM A GENIUS moment !  I'm just goin to go there, pull over, and shoot.

What's the worst that could happen ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Australia you can just go take your photos from the road

or you can cross a fence to get the shot and even open a gate (close it behind you!) as long as that gate isn't locked ... no permission needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was probably like that here about 100 years ago.

: (

People here have become insane with legal lawsuits and creepy 'rules'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's some movie on here in Minnesota ( over the air broadcast via roof antenna ) called NAPOLEON, about a puppy that travels across the Australian Outback to find a home. But I got soccer on now so I'm bummed out I will miss seeing what it's like to be in a country where you can shoot anything you want without tons of stupid 'permits' and insurance, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AICP_Bid_Form-1.jpgAICP_Bid_Form-2.jpgAICP_Bid_Form-3.jpgAICP_Bid_Form-4.jpgAICP_Bid_Form-5.jpgAICP_Bid_Form-6.jpgTAICP_Bid_Form-7.jpg

To research how to arrive at costs for shooting in local little State Park if I need insurance for liability and a 'business', etc. (in order to get production insurance, I asked some friends about stuff and one thing I got from a nice man is the AICP bid form thing..

I think this is all the pages but don't take that as gospel truth. But it give you idea what's involved.

yikes

insurance is basically (production ins.) a percentage of overall budget. Liability for company ( naming specific location entity ( like state park ) is also a byproduct of this overall deal re: costs and time and locations per job. Which eventually has to satisfy the LOCATION (in my case a little State park with a huge ego.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so out of interest if you show up at this State Park just pull out a camera and take pics do they call the swat team to waterboard you?

Liability is a fun game to play... wonder how many people are "injured" each year from having a photo taken in their nice safe parks?

don't get me wrong mate, GOD bless America

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above stuff is basically TV commercials. Assoc of Independent Commercial Producers.

Movies are WAY more complicated re: the categories you see for a commercial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so they didn't misunderstand what you mean by "get out of my car and shoot things" because I was starting to wonder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway, I had to look at doing things according to the boiler plate "requirement" that they sent me when I asked if I could shoot there off side of road, with a tripod and just ME, just for personal reasons. Not a commercial project.

Someone shooting a wedding in the park would get the same bull that I got re: requirement for insurance and cost of permit.

I just had to follow it through for my own satisfaction, so I KNOW what I would have to do if I had a client and I really needed that stupid location. Know what I mean ?

And, yes, I understand it's not some silly country thing ( USA, etc. ) it's just a matter of knowing what's involved to be totally legal and within the parameters of what locations want and so on. I can't GET the insurance unless I'm a 'business' and if I do THAT then I have to deal with state and federal taxes ( quarterly for state I think, have to call accountant to find out ) and so on.

Some people might find this stuff interesting just for the fun of seeing what is involved for commercial work.

Some people here ( Jim Simon maybe, and others who have worked commercially on locations ) would already have been through this.

I want to just go out and shoot, so, yes, I'm going to risk the SWAT team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, on some TV show, where we used a courthouse as a location every episode, forget name of show, I used to go out side door to smoke cig, and the guard there often said, " Please don't use that word " shoot " around me, OK ? "

hehe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines