• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Formats

Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am putting this in here but it has no relation to an tech probs in PSE. I have noticed that there are increasing numbers of images on the internet that will not open on PSE. I refer to those that are labelled webpagefile etc. Now, I understand all about so called copyright but I post my images regularly and they are free for people to relate to or use. I use images to type in fun comments and post them on. Does Adobe have any plans or can tell me how to open these images. My attitude is simple, if a person wants to post an image on the world wide free internet and then use software or copyright claims, DONT POST THEM. If an image is on my screen, its mine, if I want it! Same as Farcebook, thousands of images get post daily. About 2-3 years later I get a note telling me it either false (really??) or copyright owned. IF it is, then darn well post the (C) symbol on the thing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand all about so called copyright but I post my images regularly and they are free for people to relate to or use. I use images to type in fun comments and post them on.  ... If an image is on my screen, its mine, if I want it! Same as Farcebook, thousands of images get post daily. About 2-3 years later I get a note telling me it either false (really??) or copyright owned.

By @elbmek

===========

@elbmek,

Copyright is a legal matter.  There's no "so called" about it.  If you're stealing images, you could be fined or worse, sued for copyright infringement which is no small thing.  International courts always side with the copyright holder and never with the violator.

Digtal watermarking or barcoding as it's sometimes called, encrypts ownership info directly into the image. Digital Watermarks are invisible to humans but not software.  Digimarc services cost extra and there is a free Photoshop plugin for it.  It provides an extra layer of copyright protection for digital content creators & artists who post their work online.  Digital watermarking won't prevent theft but it makes it harder for bad actors to steal images and get away without being detected. 

If you want to use images to create funny Memes, I urge to source your assets from royalty-free image houses like Adobe Stock, iStock, Shutterstock, Dreamstime or Unsplash.  If you keep using other people's content without a proper license or permission, it could come back to bite you.  Be safe, don't put yourself at risk for any legal fallout later.

I have noticed that there are increasing numbers of images on the internet that will not open on PSE. I refer to those that are labelled webpagefile etc.

Browsers support these standard web image  formats  -- JPG, PNG, SVG, GIF, and the newer WebP which can be both static or animated. 

Photoshop CC recently added support for WebP.  I don't know if Elements supports it (never tried it).  SVG is a math-based vector graphic.  As such, SVGs should be opened with a vector graphics app like Illustrator or (free) Inkscape.

Q: When is an image not an image? 

A: When it's scripts.

Some pseudo-graphics and animations that you see on the web are combinations of HTML, JavaScript, JSON or XML data and CSS styles.  You would need a code editor like Adobe Dreamweaver or MS Visual Studio Code to work with the various parts.

I hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a most informative reply. My attitude remains the same. If
an image is posted on PUBLIC media the so called owner surrenders his image
to the world, end of. I do not agree with a foreign country telling me its
copyright eg: USA Farcebook.

My images are always free for the world, and I expect no less in return.
WHO makes the rules in farcebook, the Senate or Congress - a foreign entity.

Creation of memes - I dont even know what that means?

--
*Mike*

*Darkness is only the absence of light. Ignorance is only the absence of
knowledge*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignorance does not give you a free pass to violate copyright laws.

Some countries punish violators more severely than the U.S.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, its not ignorance its belief. No country can impose laws on another

--
*Mike*

knowledge*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but @Nancy OShea  is correct. What if I have the "belief" that nobody can own a car, and when I see yours I hotwire it and drive it away. Because that is my belief. You don't get to infringe on intellectual property rights because you "believe" it's yours for the taking just because you saw it on the internet.  I earn my entire living from royalties for my images. I assure you they are mine. Nobody has a choice anymore not to display our work on the internet. And by the way if you do as Nancy suggests and use royalty-free stock images, you have to pay to download them.

-edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree actually with both of you, legally. I shall carry on regardless
though. Farcebook and Twitter use images practically in every post. How
many of them are by the originator? Probably 0%.

--
*Mike*

knowledge*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, its not ignorance its belief. No country can impose laws on another--

==========

That's not entirely correct because U.S. has cooperative agreements with other nations. 

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html

My company inadvertently used an image that should not have been used.  We thought it was legally cleared but it wasn't. The copyright owner was located in France but the letter we received was from a U.S. law firm.  We took down the image immediately and had to pay back fees plus a fine for using the image without the owner's permission totaling about $350. A lesson learned the hard way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's frustrating when you come across images on the internet that won't open on PSE. However, it's important to respect copyright laws and intellectual property rights. While it's true that many images are posted on the internet for free use, it's always best to double-check the usage rights and permissions before downloading or using them. Adobe does not have any plans to circumvent copyright laws or offer solutions to open copyrighted images. As a responsible internet user, it's important to respect the rights of content creators and only use images that are legally available for use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i checked a few random images, two had watermarks, fair enough, some had no
way of me telling which is which.

--
*Mike*

knowledge*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html

"While use of a copyright notice was once required as a condition of copyright protection, it is now OPTIONAL." 

Unless stated that it's in public domain or "free for ALL use," you must assume that content published online is protected by its owner. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines