Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image viewer

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have windows 10 based laptop and Im not that happy with photo app from microsoft. I have inquiry before I buy adobe products.

Can I make photoshop CC or lightroom as the default image viewer and editor in windows, do they have the ability to view images not just for editing purposes, because I couldnt find any straight answer in google so I thought to ask here

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohamad,

No, I don't think you'd want to use either of these programs to be your default image viewer. Photoshop is a very heavyweight editor, takes awhile to load, and is designed for editing, not fast viewing. Trying to use it as a viewer would be like driving a truck to get from one side of the room to the other.

Lightroom is not an option at all - you import your images with Lightroom's internal database, and manage the images there. Lightroom can only open a Lightroom catalog directly, you can't open a JPG or other image file straight into LR without going through the import process.

Adobe Bridge, which comes with Photoshop, is a good file browser in and of itself, and it is a good replacement for Windows Explorer when you're browsing folders of images. But I wouldn't want to make it the default app to open in image file.

You can try to Google "replacement for windows photo viewer" and you'll see a number of possible alternatives, and can compare the features. In most cases, you'll find that image programs are not as lightweight as the Windows photo viewer.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the Photos app not do that you wish it would do?

I wouldn't want Photoshop or Lightroom to be my default for images. They take much longer to load than the Photos app does.

Also, Photoshop is not good for flipping through a bunch of photos. That is to say, you can't really do it. You can flip through a bunch of photos in Lightroom, but you need to import them first for that to work. Bridge is the Adobe software that you might want to use. You can use it to browse through all kinds of files. Again, though, I wouldn't use it as the default app to open something.

Remember, you have a 7 day trial of any of Adobe's software to see if it works for you. Be advised that Photoshop and Lightroom are professional grade products and there is something of a learning curve for both of them. There are plenty of useful getting started tutorials here at Adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original poster missed the point a image viewer, to view images which have been enhanced by Lr.  As stated, it would not be useful to make either PS or Lr a default image viewer in Windows. However, what would be extremely useful would be an Adobe Lr Viewer, like the Adobe PDF reader, but for viewing images enhanced by Lr.

Lr, starting with version 6, includes the ability to tag faces, which I really wanted, and why I upgraded from Lr 5 to Lr6.  The only problem with this feature, is that the tagging can only be viewed within one of the Lr image editing applications.  I can publish my hard work for my extended families, and they will be able to know what names are associated with an image, but they will not be able to see which person in the image belongs to which name.

Windows Explorer provides the ability to find subsets of images based on any of the metadata: tags, titles and descriptions, etc., put in with LR, but they will never be able to put faces with names.

What Adobe should do is provide a freely distributed, stand-alone, Lr viewer, which would allow others to view all of such features created in Lr, much like Adobe did with the PDF reader for documents.  I would think it would not be all that difficult of a task to produce the viewer.  They would just need to strip down the code they already have.  I posted a suggestion on line for this, and have gotten some others seconding my proposal. 

I am surprised Adobe has not already produced such a product for this purpose.  It seems such a natural thing to do.  So I am putting in a plug for this product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wcstarks  wrote

What Adobe should do is provide a freely distributed, stand-alone, Lr viewer, which would allow others to view all of such features created in Lr, much like Adobe did with the PDF reader for documents.  I would think it would not be all that difficult of a task to produce the viewer. 

To the extent possible, Adobe Bridge already addresses this.

The trouble is, Lightroom manages much of the metadata internally in its catalog - one catalog might have the data for tens or hundreds of thousands of images - and a stand-alone viewer, looking at one image on disk, isn’t going to be able to find the LR catalog and extract the extra information as part of your viewing/browsing experience. To be effective. Your proposed LR viewer would need to read the catalog... something that LR already does (it even maintains its viewing capability after your subscription expires).

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is my understanding that when the images are exported, with the proper export settings, they contain all that metadata from the catalogs, and are now independent of the Lr catalogs, in which they were managed.  I assumed that included the face tagging. Is that not true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s possible to export images with metadata included; it’s also possible to export them with some or all metadata removed. Again, if you’ve eported an image, Adobe Bridge is a fine tool for browsing and viewing files and their metadata.

There’s nothing any potential “LR viewer” could do in that case that Adobe Bridge doesn’t already do.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at Bridge, but I don't see where it will let you see the People tags, so that you can see which name goes with which person in the picture.  This is what I am wanting in a viewer.  I am looking for a simple viewer which will allow you to not only see the keywords, and search (focus) on the keywords, but also allow you to turn on and off the display of People tags.

Did I miss this view People tags feature in Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I r don't know what People Tags are.  Maybe that's a feature unique to PS Elements's Organizer.   Since I don't use PS Elements I can't say if People Tags work in Bridge.

Tag your media in Elements Organizer

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply guys. when I import images in windows photo app. It shows me the extension of the image not a preview for it so I can choose to import it or not, attached file. This is the issue, otherwise the app have nice editing interface and organization for photo plus other features and the cool look for it.

otherwise what are your suggestions for viewer and editor or app with extensions for the editor like PS CC.

Thanksscreen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you say both "image viewer and editor." Like Michael and Szalam mentioned, there are a number of reasons why you wouldn't want to use Photoshop as merely an image viewer in and of itself, but yes, you can set it as your default editor. In Windows, you would need to associate whichever file types you'd want to open in Photoshop. That being said, you could associate .jpg with Photos and .psd with Photoshop. And even if you do associate a file type with an app, you can right-click on it from Windows Explorer and "Open with" something else in the context menu that appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Bridge to view files and organize photos.

Digital asset management software | Download free Adobe Bridge CC trial

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, I download it but may I ask if I can connect PS CC, lightroom to it as editors. I havent used it before so I dont know much about the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are viewing your photos in Adobe Bridge and decide you'd like to edit one, you can right-click on it to Open, Open With (select application--in this case Photoshop), or Open in Camera Raw. While the image (or group of images) is selected, you can go to the Tools menu down to Photoshop and choose from a selection of processes to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

I use Adobe Bridge to view files and organize photos.

Digital asset management software | Download free Adobe Bridge CC trial

I'll add a me too to that.  Bridge is an excellent image viewer.  You can rate your images, order them manually and rename in the new order. View full screen, or two up, four up etc.  We use it to select image sets for inter club photo competitions, and it makes it a breeze.

As well as rename, you have other tools like merge to HDR, panorama, or load into Photoshop layers.  You can customise the workspace, and use multiple different workspaces.  It's biggest let down is that it does not you make good use of multiple monitors, and that's a huge issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are actually so many choices for the best image editor and this includes Adobe Bridge. Aside from that, my daughter use  a PhotoViewerPro for excellent images and editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, is it the same as ACDSee pro 10 becuse when I downladed the file, it open it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I like Irfanview.  It has been around for a long time, and is what I used to use for renaming and file conversion before I decided Bridge was the way to go.

Another one that a lot of people I know swear by is FastStone.  It's like Windows File Explorer on steroids, and a useful way to do your Digital Asset Management.  The Nelson Camera Club (across the hill from me) uses it to display their competition images, for whatever that is worth.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even understand the question. Of course you use Bridge as image file browser. I can't think of a single reason not to, it can do anything any other browser can do, plus lots more that they can't.

Everybody - be aware that Windows 10 "Photos" is not color managed. You won't get the correct preview. That's apparently a policy decision, as the previous "Windows Photo Viewer" was, and very reliably so.

Lightroom is useless for this. Not only do you have to import everything, but it's too slow once you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally have Honeyview as my image viewer. It's extreamly lightweight and loads any image pretty quickly. It also supports more types of extensions then the defualt windows photo app does. You can also link honyview to Photoshop for editing as your defualt editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes you can have Photoshop as the default image viewer in Windows 10... i had it on mine for a year

imo the extra time it takes to open Photoshop is not worth it so I removed it and went back to 'photos' as my default

'photos' = a default image viewer app that comes with Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines