• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My latest toys

Engaged ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first camera is a Sony Cybershot W830 20.1 megapixel 8X digital zoom that I got on ebay brand new for a paltry $100 USD. I bought it because my friend had one that he'd bought a year before for about $180 USD so I was able to benefit from seeing it function and the quality of the pictures...I was totally impressed with the images for such a small camera, it fits in the palm of my hand and slips easily into my shirt pocket completely hidden.

The second camera is a Canon PowerShot SX700 HS 16.1 megapixel 30X digital zoom. I got this camera from the same friend as it had stopped working. He'd been keeping it in a dresser in it's original box. The original model he'd purchased was the PS SX280 which was frot with battery issues. To his frustration he returned that model twice to the point that Canon just upgraded him to the SX700 which also took a dump. To this day he hates anything Canon. After haggling with him he finally just gave it to me and wished me luck trying to make it work. I found out of the four battery chargers he'd bought not one worked so again I turned to ebay and found a Kastar Charger for $40 USD and figure it was worth the gamble. Well, the pictures are proof that it worked. It's a great camera and takes beautiful low light photos. The 30 power zoom is incredible for such a small camera. Yea I'm happy. The picture of the Sony was taken with the Canon and etc. I highly recommend either or both cameras; well worth the price.

Sony.jpg

canon.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like my Canon SX510 for both pictures and video (replaced early generation, separate still and video cameras)

The built in microphone is "somewhat" sensitive to wind noise, but for family movies it does a good enough job for my needs (most recent was pics and video of my brother's drive thru wedding, on a Harley 3 wheel, to then make a DVD I sent to the new couple)

Not even close to Hollywood standards, but for home use it's all that I need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a three wheeler huh...I'll bet that was a hoot to be at. Thanks for sharing that memory John. Let me ask you, you haven't had any battery issues like it not charging or the battery loses power or the camera just shuts down for no apparent reason have you? Do the batteries keep their charge or lose power real fast after just a short use?

After I purchased the Kastar charger it came with two additional batteries that charged up quickly but once I inserted them and the memory card the camera came on for a moment and then went off just as fast. I took a micro philips driver and backed off the two tiny screws on the battery door contact plate a quarter turn and that seems to have corrected the problem. I'll tell ya John, these micro devices are built to such exacting tolerances that if something's off just a hair that's enough to turn it into a paperweight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No battery problems at all... I have 3, 2 original Canon and another brand I can't look at right now 'cause it is in the camera, and all 3 seem to work equally well

When we go on vacation I "top up" all the batteries before we go, and take my charger to use when the indicator on the camera screen says the current battery is getting low

I also bought a 128Gig SD card to replace the (8Gig?) card that came in the camera, so I don't have to worry about filling the card with pics or video while we're away (but I do have a spare 32Gig card in my camera case... which I doubt I'll ever have to use)

If I was doing a lot of video work, I would find out if there is an external microphone connection and then buy a microphone with some kind of wind filter... but that would, of course, mean having to connect it to some kind of mounting... and keeping track of more batteries... so I haven't done anything about the slight wind sensitivity of the built in mic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was doing a lot of video work, I would find out if there is an external microphone connection and then buy a microphone with some kind of wind filter... but that would, of course, mean having to connect it to some kind of mounting... and keeping track of more batteries... so I haven't done anything about the slight wind sensitivity of the built in mic

John,

I'm sure you've seen the furry "dead cat" wind covers for microphones.  The was a company that made one to stick on palm sized camcorders and small cameras.  Basically it was made of fake fur that I think you could find at a fabric store.   I might still have some buried in my junk gear drawer.  If you are in the USA and I can find one, I would be happy to mail it to you.  If not in the USA, I can post a photo of the one on my camcorder and you should be able to fabricate a DIY duplicate.

A funny part of my story includes shooting at a developmentally disabled basketball game.  One of the young spectators wanted to pet my camera because it had fur on it.  I let him!

Update:  I found it on Amazon.  The company is called Micover. 

Amazon.com: Micover 3/4" Round Stickover Mini Universal Windscreens for DSLR, GoPro, DJI, Phones, La...

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... my consumer grade camera does not have a connection for an external mic, so I'll keep your link in mind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had at least one occasion where a camera mounted microphone put a furry intrusion into the shot, and those micro cameras have a very wide field of view.  There's no doubt that they work though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an early model Sony Cybershot (can't remember which one) that took terrific photos in awful lighting conditions.  I was super impressed with it at the time.  The battery compartment latch gave out.  It was too bad 'cuz I liked taking that small camera on outings.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have had it repaired Nancy. Did you replace it with another one? Please don't tell me, "yea my cell phone" LMAO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

The battery compartment latch gave out.

The universal hardware solution:

duct tape.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that .  Also rubber bands & velcro.  But nothing worked at keeping batteries firmly in place so the camera could stay powered up.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you MacGyver's son?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay  wrote

Are you MacGyver's son?

No, but when I was in rehab after I sustained a fractured femur during a total hip replacement, the occupational therapist said I was what they call a "problem solver."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to see people here. These forums are so cool  cause everyone can share, help each other, and just have fun sometimes. Sometimes I get involved with stuff I'm trying to learn where it's not really fun anymore.. due to dealing with my own ignorance and shortcomings. Luckily  that hasn't happened lately (the ugly side of learning). I had a cyst removed from face and wanted to share with someone in NY so I looked around for a camera and found out the best thing would be to use the caveman method, before cameras were invented.  This is what I showed my friend in NY regarding recent surgery.

SELF PORTRAIT.jpg

A few days later I wanted to share some cool wall spreader I bought from B&H (2x4) and used vertically to support a drawing table I'll use for painting something this winter. I put angle iron on bottom of table edge so I can clamp table to 2x4 at desired angle (fast adjustment) to make table sturdy. Plus could add light instead of using stupid desk lamp that was on table before (not doing good job for lighting area). So I got out the trusty Olympus TG1 and shot this.

TG1 PIC.jpg

You can drop the TG1 into a pot of boiling beef stew and it you get it out really fast and wash it off with cold water it will still work ! NO KIDDING ! (this happened to me ) Can take into water with you, under water, and shoot pics and video !

Video is mov wrapper H264, which is junk basically, but sometimes better than nothin.

You have to be REALLY close to a fish if you want to shoot stuff like that underwater, or there's not enough light.

A few days later I wanted to shoot some neighbors brand new barn he had built and so I got out the Nikon d800 which is really cool for stills and also is pretty good for DSLR for video IF you use the HDMI out (uncompressed) to a recorder ( I use cheap Atomos Ninja thing with DNxHD to card ). So I shot the barn.

BARN.jpg

A while back (couple years now) I tested Nikon d800 for video and slated sound and for first time used PPro to edit...with nice neighbors helping me. It came out like this (excerpt cause this is the most important part re: static camera and basics without head and tail etc.)

First test of shooting live with slate and using PPro to edit.

https://vimeo.com/203486498

Later on I edited some DVD dailies from a pilot I happened to work on...and learned TONS of stuff about editing with PPro...

First test of editing DVD dailies in PPro (keeping track of editing process, e.g. throwing out junk, renaming files, different video layers for each camera ( 3 cameras, common slates) etc.
Huge learning curve for keeping track of things. Also Bill Hunt help with invented overlay of B&W video aspect ratio effect ( on roof ). I used the static to make cuts between cameras and and had to sell that with overlay.

https://vimeo.com/203890457

Now, I know this is a lot of junk here..but the main thing I'd like to say is that the adobe forums do, in fact, add value to what we are playing around with and can be very helpful.

And it's nice to see people here are still contributing to sharing and having fun and staying in touch or meeting new people.

Happy holidays you all...

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines