• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Off Topic: How is to stop YouTube Ads?

Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed lately, that YouTube has really upped their advertisement campaign and ads are running rampant - at the start of videos, in the middle and also at the ends. They have also inserted TWO ads at the start of each videos now.

Anyone else has noticed this too?

Twice as bad as it used to be.

I go to nsfwyoutube.com and then watch my videos there. No advertisements, ever. And full access to all regular youtube videos. I copy the link from regular youtube and paste into this site and watch videos there. No age-restricted videos either - all videos are accessed.  Perfectly legal too. Problem is comments are not there. I like comments, so find myself bouncing back to regular youtube. But to kill ads, this is way to go.

Also, I used to use Privoxy - it used to work and destroy all youtube ads but lately works not.

Wondering, what are people use to cancel ads?  AdBlocker extension is joke, please do not mention. Trying to find what others are using as legitimate ad blocker. would love to find other opportunities to do so. But must be legal, too. Any thoughts?

Photoshop videos are lots on youtube but now a days we are waiting up to 15 seconds to see video and then advertisement interruptions every few minutes during videos.

[Move from Photoshop to The Lounge by moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Adblock Plus, and I don' get no stinkn' adverts on YouTube.   The only downside is that it spoils you, because I like to watch YouTube on my big TV sitting in comfort, and I can't even fast forward when it gets to Skip Ad.  That is pretty annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! but I was to never understand how adblock works:

youtube is owned by google

chrome is owned by google

why would chrome offer adblocker, which blocks ads in their OWN video site such as youtube? seems like they would be killing their own advertising revenue, no?

how that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use uBlock Origin for Firefox, add-on works with Chrome as well

uBlock Origin - Chrome Web Store

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apology, should i have put this in off topic, I will pay more attention for next time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because there are some rules in all that circus: you must provide users with a way to turn of ads or to block them. That way is not usually obvious but it is always present somewhere and somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if google owns youtube, and they also own Chrome, then I have hard time explaining why they would offer option in Chrome to block youtube ads- there is no way i can believe this. there must be "catch" to it. or that it will stop working in few weeks when google "updates" youtube, just as they do every few weeks it seems in order to destroy everybody's custom settings and revert back to youtube's "way of doing things"

if it was other company providing way to block ads then yes i trust it, such as Privoxy or nsfw.youtube.com for example.

but to use adblocker from google itself makes no sense, this is counterproductive for them, why would they do it. they work hard to shove ads on us on every youtube video, why would they offer us way to cancel it.

unless of course i am misunderstanding something (totally possible.. or better yet totally likely, HA! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ad blocker is not developed by Google, it is offered as optional add-on for their web browser. You are free to use any other web browser which is not developed by Google and to install third party plugins like Ad Block, Ad Block Plus and so on. Are you from Balkan? People in this area have that kind of theories that everything is farce and against them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello borjan, no i am not from Balkan (I have never heard of it) but this is my question:

why would chrome store allow the hosting of a 3rd party plug-in which would block their own ads?

you would think they would not allow the hosting of such things if it blocks their ads and depletes their profits.

this i clearly do not understand. there is nothing against me, i am trying just to understand how to block ads and am skeptical as to why google would post on their very own website other companies' products to block their ads?? this makes does not sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gangeek  wrote

why would chrome store allow the hosting of a 3rd party plug-in which would block their own ads?

Sometimes, when things work, I don't try to figure out why they work.  I'm just happy that they work.

I use Adblockplus on Chrome and am happy with the results..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the internet does not belong to Google, there are and other search engines and there are some rules and regulations which are independent of search engine providers. Who do not want to play nice can go out of the game in matter of months or even days. If Google do not want to respect users willing to block ads they can be punished badly and many users, including me, can switch to Bing, for example, in the next few minutes or hours or days... Internet does not belong to Google, one more time, that may be someone's idea but that is not the true. Google is only search engine and something more but there are and many other databases which can do the job. One of the reasons why people like and use Google is third party ad blockers available on Chrome store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gangeek  wrote

What an asinine discussion!

Google is a multi-billion dollar company with more revenue steams than most people even realize.  It's very naive  to think that blocking a few YouTube ads would have any impact on Google's bottom line.   Quite the opposite.  It's more likely to hurt the content creators who are trying to make a few dollars from  ads.   Your AdBocker is hurting them, not Google. 

But if you're still paranoid about  Google Chrome,  nobody is holding a gun to your head to use it.  I invite you to use a different browser -- Firefox, MS Edge, Opera (with built-in ad blocker), Safari, Vivaldi, etc....   

https://www.techradar.com/best/browser

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I is to not still understand.

Google places ads on their youtube videos. they make massive revenue from it, so we forced are to watch it.

But then Google says "here you go, we are giving you ad-blockers to turn off the ads".

What is the point of having ads if they then turn around and give you ad blockers to turn them off. Defeats it purpose. This is why I do not understand it. Assisine, not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use AdBlock Plus in Firefox.  It works very well.  Although the news channels and webzines plead with me to turn it off every chance they get.   

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are have to pay for adblock plus?

also, does work in chrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just google it, here is the link Adblock Plus - free ad blocker - Chrome Web Store

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines