Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PLUTO: A Planet Again?

Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BACKGROUND:

• The object formerly known as the planet Pluto was discovered on February 18, 1930 at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, by astronomer Clyde W. Tombaugh, with contributions from William H. Pickering.
  • Pluto was removed as a planet in 2006 by the International Astronomical Union. The IAU downgraded Pluto's status to that of a dwarf planet because it did not meet the three criteria the IAU uses to define a full-sized planet. Essentially Pluto meets all the criteria except one—it “has not cleared its neighboring region of other objects.”
  • Current NASA chief Jim Bridenstine has claimed that in his view Pluto is a planet.

https://www.planetary.org/space-images/pluto-in-colorized-infrared

image.png

PLUTO IN COLORIZED INFRARED Colorized infrared layer from "The Rich Color Variations of Pluto" (PIA19952). NASA / Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory / Southwest Research Institute / ZLDoyle

In the image PIA19952 (http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA19952), the red luminance channel corresponds to the infrared data acquired by the Ralph/MVIC instrument as it flew past Pluto. The green and blue luminance channels have been removed. The color data data from the original image was layered over the remaining luminance channel and further enhanced to bring out greater variation across the surface of Pluto. Because the luminance data was captured through an infrared filter, the areas appearing closest to white correspond with areas most reflective to infrared wavelengths. Full 4k resolution image available here: http://i.imgur.com/B2WUkZk.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be interested in this recent article in the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/science/is-pluto-a-planet.html with some interesting quizzes.

And yes, for me, Pluto is a planet. I'm grown up with Pluto as a planet. But generally speaking: It's just a matter of definition, so I don't care. 😄

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, for me, Pluto is a planet.

========

Astrologers still think of Pluto as a planet, too. 

Like you, I grew up with it.  I'm too old to change mindsets now.  So long as it maintains steady orbit around our sun, it deserves to be a planet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still waiting for the Age of Aquarius! I'm so done with Capricorn (since 2008).

Pluto will briefly enter Aquarius between March and June of 2023, re-entering Capricorn for one last pass before shifting into Aquarius for good in January of 2024. At this final Pluto in Capricorn stage, we are polarized between clinging to convention and the promise of Aquarian freedom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@J E L,

Well that explains everything!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines