• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

To help answer a student in UX/UI Design

Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My student (taking classes in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and I suggested After Effects) is interested in seeking work in the area of UX/UI Design.

While I can teach her all the software, and all the principles that apply to her interests, I have no background in actually looking for work in that area. For example, what are the best items to show in a portfolio, where to seek positions when you're starting, any tips and tricks to enter the field. She's more experienced in the User Experience area and is familiar with Adobe XD - but she's got no portfolio for User Interface.

Anybody have any good ideas I can pass along?

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to recommend that your student create a project (self-assignment) that shows the deliverables in each phase of the User Journey that will showcase her skill set along with any class related project work. Anyone applying for a job will need to show proficiency before they will get an interview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Great idea - I'd already suggested the self-assignment, but didn't think of her showing each phase. I like that! Thing is, she's not taken a specific class about UX/UI design - her degree was in Design as a generalization, and she's learning the software to back that up. I haven't been able to track down and classes on UX/UI Design that aren't about coding for her yet, and all the classes I do hunt down are software based.

I wonder who might offer a theory based class in that specialty... Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Won't let me edit! I meant, that idea of each phase of the USER JOURNEY! That's the fascinating part...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - I was suggesting some, but didn't know of the best of them - thank you for those suggestions! I'll pass those all along. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell him that UX and UI designers do separate things in context. UX Designer need to understand need of users, test application, organize work and then pass all this information to UI designer.

I recommend to start with Jesse James Garrett: The Elements of User Experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Ares - We already did have that discussion - rather thoroughly. She's familiar with the UX stuff - it's the UI she wants to fill in and get work. I will recommend that UX book to her though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wzajemnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey You  Learn Design On ProApp

Pro App is the place for you to learn all things design. It is your Digital Design College that teaches you the foundations of design principles. It will help you to learn, create, and excel in multiple aspects of design. Download the App here

Google Playstore

http://bit.ly/become_a_pro

iOS App Store

http://bit.ly/become_a_pro_ios

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines