• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 659 Replies 659
659 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sick of wasting time on Mac or Windows just for run PS. I'm aready paying for PS, but I can't use it on a normal and stable OS. I think that PS codebase is pretty bad, that's why they can't port PS to Linux. There is Davinci Resolve, there is Lightworks - their devs can do that. The fun is that I cannot install PS on my Mac for couple of days. It's a... waste.

Probably I will cancel my subscription, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will disagree of these points. Of course Adobe is not a public foundation, the main objective is to make money. However, to make money you have to keep your eye on your customers, that's why Adobe keep suport for old OS (both MS and Apple) even with the difficulties of keep building patches for it - everithing is old, nothing will work as expected anymore etc., many times more difficult than port to other different but updated OS.

The main point to me is Linux is a real thread to Adobe's partners, as Microsoft and Apple. Both are greedy, powerful, not a company you will want against you, if you want to make money. So Adobe will keep with their old partners for now, even with a B plan with Linux - I won't doubt they keep a hidden Linux project.

Modern Linux distributions are better OS overal than macOS and Windows. Lighter, stable and safe, they won't try to seel you stuff all the time, won't keep digging in your personal life and they're not made to be a part of scheduled obsolescence of the harware.

I work with MacOS and Linux Mint / Ubuntu. I won't say it is easy, but is manageble to develop and publish for both taking advantage of similar features of these Unix like OSes (I personally thought Linux is easyer). As for thiny market share (low demand), there is a lot of ways to deal with, there is developers capable and willing to deal with in a "symbiotic" relationship with Adobe as there is for a lot of other cases. In my Linux PCs there is a lot of third part good apps as OneDrive, Zoom, Google stuff as Chrome itself. Not mentioning games - Steam and GOG. There is no technological or cost issues, there is a strategic issue, it's about Adobe's policy, that's all - IMO.

Personally, I don't how much time I will keep with macOS just because of Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Professional design studios don't use Linux OS.  Adobe understands this and caters to their widest user base on Macs, iOS and Win devices.  

Linux is mainly used by programmers and coders.  Unless that changes drastically, Adobe is unlikely to bend in other directions. 

OTHER TOOLS (raster & vector):
===========
- GIMP: https://www.gimp.org/
- Gravit Designer: https://www.designer.io/en/
- Inkscape: https://inkscape.org/

- Karbon: https://calligra.org/karbon/
- Krita: https://krita.org/

- MyPaint: http://mypaint.org/
- Paint.NET: https://www.getpaint.net/
- PhotoPea: https://www.photopea.com/
- Photo Pos Pro: https://www.photopos.com/PPP3_BS/Default.aspx
- Pixlr: https://pixlr.com/
- Vctr: https://vectr.com/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a test in the first half of this year and it is amizing how popular some apps as inkscape or guimp are now. I worked for six month only with open surce tools and there is a strong community. I did publish my dad's book like this, no complains of nobody about me using those tools. Of course Adobe is a required tool set, but is not alone anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux is mainly used by programmers and coders.  Unless that changes drastically, Adobe is unlikely to bend in other directions. 

By @Nancy OShea

Linux is widely used, but not for desktop computers and graphic workstations. Linux is used in numerous embedded systems without having the end user knowing this. And Linux is running on the fastest computers in the world. But the key is desktop/laptop. @Dov Isaacs' answer is still true.

And just for the history: Years ago, you could acquire Photoshop running on Irix workstations (Irix was the Silicon Graphics flavour of Unix). It's a long time ago: http://unixfiles.org/software/post/photoshop!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Adobe is a required tool set, but is not alone anymore.

By @gustavopinent

Adobe programs were never alone:

• Photoshop, at the beginning, was one of many…
  • Indesign was the challenger when Adobe started the program.
  • Illustrator was in fierce competition with Freehand.
  • Premiere (Pro) has many competitors. It was even for a short time abandoned on macOS computers because of competition.
  • Dreamweaver has originally not been developed by Adobe. GoLive was the Adobe product.
  • etc.

As all companies, Adobe and its products are evolving, some come, some go, some stay. One of Adobe's core products (PostScript) not even a desktop product, even that it runs also on desktop computers.

You may agree or disagree with Adobe and its policy, but believe me, they know how to create products and to make money. And they did experiment with Unix machines, and it did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am considering free alternatives, is a different thing. Adobe, even with competition, can have a space to be alone, not only with a good products but with good parterships. By the way, Adobe have good products overall. But now we have some free tools as Gimp or Eclipse that can have a professional level (I tried both in the past and was not like today). Other are comming to a pro level as inkscape and are already in the desktop of pro users even with Adobe - my case. This is what a mean "not being alone". There is Corel, but that's another kind of competition, is when you have money or is willing to pay for a solution. Linux is for useres that don't have money or are not willing to pay for Adobe or Corel.

I like Adobe, wish to pay for it, but I also have to think about my own business. I might have to leave Adobe if Linux become serious, because Apple is not a serious company anymore, I don't see myself buying another Macbook or another iPhone. I am complaining about Adobe because I still got respect, different from Apple that seems to wish to get inside my home and destroy my devices so I will have to buy new ones.

By the way, Microsoft is not an alterantive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is Corel, but that's another kind of competition, is when you have money or is willing to pay for a solution. Linux is for useres that don't have money or are not willing to pay for Adobe or Corel.

By @gustavopinent

If Linux is for users that don't have money or are not willing to pay for Adobe or Corel, don't ask Adobe and Corel to port their software to Linux. See also the correct answer from @Dov Isaacs: https://community.adobe.com/t5/the-lounge-discussions/waiting-for-linux-native-softwares/m-p/1192637...

Just to say, some Linux users have a lot of money and are willing to pay to get what they need. But those users are not using Photoshop for solving their tasks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500#Architecture_and_operating_systems

It's a question of what tools you use to be productive, it's not the question of porting some software to some OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote that in another context. I am not asking anything, just analyzing the possibilities. But never mind with me, with so devoted customers, Adobe won't need me anyway. Apple and Adobe may stick toghether, I will be out soon, I'm tired of these old greedy companies...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gustavopinent wrote:

I'm tired of these old greedy companies...

The point of making money is to have a product that others want. It's not to get the software on all plattforms, if it is commercially not viable. As I said, many companies did put their software on Unix machines, and it did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
since you bought substance, you should really port at least the creative cloud app to Linux.
Also, porting photoshop to Linux is a good business decision because a lot of studio's use Linux on their workstation.

After my school educational license go`s away i will start using gimp unless you make a good buisness desision.
112 *20 = enough money to hire a developer to port to linux. And u`ll probably make more off of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so first of all the premise is not false. Look at this:

https://youtu.be/fzzf2QnyPgY

Link removed by Moderator

Why does adobe not see there actually is a market for Adobe Products for Linux users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak for Adobe, but here are my thoughts:

Linux is - with a market share somewhere between 1.74 – 2.18% - still a niche OS, with various distros floating around the web. It's probably easier to only support certain Windows and macOS versions than to rewrite Photoshop etc in order to make it run on Linux. The reality is: The majority of people in the creative field are either using Windows or Mac devices.

So, is the market for it there? I really don't think so and chances are that Adobe thinks the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Download & Install and merged with ongoing discussion on same topic in The Lounge.]

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two possibilities:

a) Adobe will get overtaken by the exceptional strong Linux desktop trend... (sorry, but I do not see this happen.). You have to know that years ago, Adobe did port their programs to Unix systems. Photoshop was available on high end 25000$+ Workstations. And yes, we had bought 4 of those Workstations from Silicon Graphics to replace a very expensive mini supercomputer with less power than half of one of those workstations. Then, we replaced those high end workstations with simple high end Windows computers for 10% of the price and 4 or more times of the power. And many companies did that. And Adobe stopped supporting Unix for their desktop product line. 

b) This is also a valid reason: https://community.adobe.com/t5/the-lounge-discussions/waiting-for-linux-native-softwares/m-p/1192637.... No business can leave out these considerations...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost 2022. Windows has become unbearable, insisting on making your desktop look like a mobile device (REALLY wanting touch screens) and really wanting you be completely dependent on their cloud. MacOS requires being locked into non-upgradable hardware, which is a no starter. Android and Chromebooks are accelerating the move to Linux desktops as they are exposing more and more people to the idea that "Linux is consumer ready" (yes, it's been ready for a while). I've tried switching numerous times only to be limited by Adobe's lack of support for Linux. If you can support a limited version on Android devices, surely you can support it on Linux. PLEASE put it in your plans to support the Creative Cloud apps on Linux. If not natively, at least think about a browser based version that could run on any platform. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is Corel, but that's another kind of competition, is when you have money or is willing to pay for a solution. Linux is for useres that don't have money or are not willing to pay for Adobe or Corel.

By @gustavopinent

The interesting thing about the Corel alternative is that Corel already did what is being asked of Adobe. Corel released versions for Linux of Corel WordPerfect, CorelDraw, Corel PhotoPaint, and other applications in their suite. They even released a Corel Linux distro to run it all on.

These were released in 1999. It apparently did not gain enough support to be worth the effort and expense,  because Corel shut down Linux development just a few years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen questions here about using photoshop or Creative cloud on Linux but they are old.  Has anything changes?  Can Creative Cloud be used on a Linux run computer now?

Thanks,

Marta Moyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you put up with Wine or any other virtualization/ emulation software and their quirks, then no, CC apps cannot be run on Linux.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will disagree.... i am a full time video producer and photgrapher. My last 7 paychecks have relied solely on Gimp, Kdenlive, Davinci resolve, Rawtherapee, Audacity, reaper and natron. Spent 3 months learning all these and the distros i currently use Are> Manjaro, Fedora, Ubuntu, Pop OS, KDE Neon and recently MX linux Xfc. I also teach FOSS and i have to say,,, moving forward all the way. As a 15 year MAC USER and 8 year Windows User, was fedup up of lack of upgradability, over pricing, viruses, updates etc... I have a 11 year old that loves ubuntu and is impressed with performance. I sold my macs, and bough 2 2018 Dells, and built a AMD workstation..

All these for the price of a M1 MACBOOK PRO... COME ON..... Adobe should code PS and Premiere AT LEAST, to give it a try... And if they are wise enough, you could charge 25% less to linux users in return of community support and so on.... but any way, might be utopic..but something is true... LINUX IS GROWING, OPEN SOURCE is the future.... Remember... still a couple of wars and pandemics to come...

peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read from CrossOver CEO - a very experienced developer - that this is the
year of Linux. I am kinda skeptical of a big turn in the market, but what I
see in the last distros is a lot of potential. Microsoft and Apple will
feel the impact this time, and Adobe will lose a lot of users by keeping
this policy of macOS and Windows only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gustavopinent wrote:
I read from CrossOver CEO - a very experienced developer - that this is the year of Linux. I am kinda skeptical of a big turn in the market

Skepticism is probably well founded. Although I welcome Linux as another alternative (I'm not trying to be negative about it), I chuckled reading that, because someone proclaiming “This is the year of Linux on the desktop!” is a sort of running gag in tech history, kind of like how we say nuclear fusion power is always 10 years in the future…no matter what year it is. For example, someone on Reddit asked, “When did someone first say, ‘this is the year of the Linux desktop?’ ” They figured people have been saying it since 1998… so, for almost a quarter of a century.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has a Substance Painter client for Linux on Steam. Linux's image editing, manipulation and overall the creative  tools market has a lot of room to grow and would be enormously beneficial for many developers to switch to Linux. Is there no plan to bring Photoshop or any other CC app to Linux just like Substance Painter is? Why would you support Substance Painter and not other apps of the CC ecosystem? I'd love to use Photoshop without tinkering wine or virtualization, and along the years I've been told by many people that they won't switch to Linux because they are missing Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate