• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Washington Post Alternative?

Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donald Trump's bizarre behaviour has got me hooked on American News, and I have been reading the online Washington Post trying to keep up with it all.  Unfortunately, it seems that the Post has a Pay Meter and I now get this message:

To keep reading it would cost me the same as Photoshop and Lightroom, so I'm thinking there must be alternative online newspapers with the same honest, and independent editing as the Post.  Can you people that live me give me a heads up?    If anyone suggests Fox News, they had better add the winking emoticon

The Post has a great layout of stories as well as great content, with a hard copy newspaper look to it.  That works well for me, and I'd love to find similar.  Apparently you can get the Post online free for six months if you are an Amazon Prime customer, but I'd prefer to avoid Amazon Prime.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night, Saturday Night Live devoted 3 brutal sketches to the Trump administration

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

Last night, Saturday Night Live devoted 3 brutal sketches to the Trump administration

I managed to see the opening sketch yesterday Nancy, but it took a bit of hunting down, because I get 'not available in your country' from most of the host sites.  I've seen several reports of Trump complaining about SNL's portrayals of him, so he he doesn't know the first rule about reacting to wind ups: 'Don't feed the trolls'.   A specific criticism was that the SNL sketches were 'mean spirited'.  This is the same person who has threatened to hold back essential funding to entities that have questioned his edicts, or down right gone against them.  This is the man who has ridiculed senior officers of your courts for daring to adhering to the laws and Constitution of your country.  And he dares to call other people mean spirited.

Did Nixen eventually get Impeached because of his lies?  ISTR it was to do with his refusal to hand over tapes that would damn him, but I am sorry, I am not as informed about US history as I could be.   It just feels kind of strange that a President of the USA can tell one obvious lie after another, and be allowed to retain his position.  I think it is the lying and unjust actions that has got me so wound up with it (as a non American).  Heck he has a team of professional lairs with Spicer and Conway.  The latest I have read about Conway is that CNN is considering some sort of ban on interviews with her, because of lack of credibility.   So longs as I keep reading reports like that, I shall continue to think you guys have a chance of fixing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Did Nixon eventually get Impeached because of his lies?

It wasn't just one thing.  It was for a lot of things.  But technically, Nixon's first article of impeachment was filed for Obstruction of Justice related to the break-in of  Democratic Campaign headquarters in the Watergate complex.  His ultimate resignation was born out of voter non-confidence for his lies, deceptions, betrayal and cover-up of multiple covert activities.   Although Trump & Nixon are very different personalities, the one thing they seem to share is a point of view that the "President can do no wrong." 

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from CalExit, there is talk of turning the whole state into a sanctuary zone, which prompted Trump to threaten stopping Federal funding to this state. It's going to be interesting.

A personal aside: I applied for a Global Entry card through CBP. It's a Customs Express Clearance and TSA Precheck for those without any trouble with the law. I was conditionally approved and had to set up an interview at San Francisco International. Busy place to do that, a lot of people thinking like me. First slot I got was July 3rd 2017. So I called up and a friendly officer encouraged me to keep pounding the Reschedule button on their website. Cancellations are common. So I did that, getting earlier slots as I went along. When I got a Feb 5th slot, I decided close enough...but then somehow I decided to spin the wheel again and got Jan 14th.

I made sure I got there two hours early because our train system can run into delays. I went downstairs and the CBP office was vacant with a few people sitting around waiting. A CBP officer steps out and I show him my appointment slip. and he tells me to hang around.

A few minutes later I get called in. Everything went fine, I was approved and out the door in 20 minutes.

Jan 20th Inauguration Day, and the Immigration Ban that causes massive protests at airports nationwide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got your Global Entry card when you did?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed I am, Nancy. Even without the unexpected events, I would expect a changing of the guard and policy decisions by the new administration to potentially cause issues.

Also I want to have items like Passports and Global Entry long in place before I take a trip. So getting this card was a New Year's Resolution.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I subscribe to the Washington Post (local paper) and the New York Times (better news) and don't mind paying because I want to support journalists and newspapers.

Here are some other sources that I follow. I get emails from some, follow some on Facebook, and go to the websites for others.

NPR (National Public Radio)

Huffington Post (admittedly slanted)

BBC

The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC)

The Economist

PBS (Public Broadcasting System)

Dan Rather (and his new News and Guts Facebook page)

U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren

Maureen Dowd

Thomas Friedman

Nate Silver

Andy Borowitz (humor)

Steven Colbert

The Daily Show

Seth Meyers

Read this for the top and bottom news sources. It is color coded by liberal and conservative.

http://www.businessinsider.com/here-are-the-most-and-least-trusted-news-outlets-in-america-2014-10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, a terrorism researcher at the Swedish Defense University, Magnus Ranstorp, says about the latest, the travel ban:

This is one of the most counter-productive measures they could have taken. It will reinforce al-Qaidas and IS' narrative that the West is at war with islam (...) it will in turn lead to increased radicalization and islamism.

(my translation)

He summarizes the whole order as "idiocy". Not that he is the final authority on this, it was just very well put.

And the madness goes on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse wrote:

And the madness goes on.

Indeed it does.  Emigration & Naturalization doesn't have the means or know-how to deal with it all.   They certainly didn't ask for this but somehow have to implement it.  It's lunacy at the highest level.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use private mode on your browser and clear your cookies. I read WaPo all the time. When I get that message, I just close my browser and start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines