Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What product to replace a MacPro 2010?

Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi other ACP's,

My 2010 MacPro seems to have given up. This happened about 10 months ago and I managed to get it restarted after a few days and a number of tricks. (repair place and Apple said it could not be fixed then!...)

Now it is happening again, and this time all the other tricks are not working. I believe it is the power supply so I ordered a power supply and will try getting it restarted when that arrives.

MY Question:

However, Does anyone here have a new MacBook Pro 15 with 32 GB of RAM? I am considering replacing the MacPro with a laptop if it has enough power and ram to work PS and LR and more drawing and painting applications. From the activity monitor I seem to use a lot of ram and scratch disk space.

- I do not do any 3 D work, and only dabble with video. I do run a lot external drives so of course I will need a lot of adapter cables for  USB and Firewire.

Anyone with any thoughts or experience?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problems at all with my 2016 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM. So you should be fine I would say.

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 4.07.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, Brad, I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro with 16 which I use to teach with and when on the road. However I normally run two high end 24 inch monitors and 5 internal drives on my MacPro with 32 GB of ram. So I was concerned with first the capability of the video card and two the ability to maybe daisy chain my drives which would now have to be external if I were to use a MacBook as my main workstation. I dont know much about the processor vs ram vs scratch disk benefits on a technical basis !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Build your own Windows machine. If any component needs to be replaced, for whatever reason, you get a new one and you're back in business within hours.)

<ducking and running>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

trying to be politically correct here, however ----PC? "remember the slogan from th 196060-1970?

"H no, we won't go!"

Thanks, I am not that computer knowledgeable, however thanks to the simplicity of the Mac, people call me
granny the geek" I have been able to build, rebuild, configure, and create, both hardware and software and products...and my advanced degrees are in Fine art and dirty French poetry! - Go figure!

Just trying to understand whether processor power or ram is more important for speed and accuracy in doing graphics, and what demands are placed on top of those for driving multiple monitors....! Any experienced Mac geeks (meant in a very complimentary way) out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love my 15" MacBook Pro. And with AppleCare+, I had the screen replaced in 24 hours for $99 after it slid off the washing machine, hit the dog bowl and shattered.

Note to self: next time, pause Seth Meyers when transferring laundry from the washer to the dryer and leave the computer on a stable surface, no matter how funny his segment is.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-08-30 07.32.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines