• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When corporations have an "agenda"?

Guru ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday was the Gay Pride March in NYC and the number of signs and banners in support of the victims of the Pulse massacre was staggering.

The other day we went to a NY Liberty basketball game where all the WNBA players were wearing shirts in support of Central Florida.

The massacre of 49 young people who were simply out dancing is hardly a thing to take sides over. But as soon as you add comments about terrorism, gun control, gun rights, etc. you've suddenly got a debate that has caused schisms in the US.

So how do you feel about a company flexing its corporate muscles to make statements about what seems benign but could be considered part of a left- or right-wing agenda.

Let's not use this topic as an excuse to take sides and blast each other. But let's look at the bigger picture. How do you feel about using Adobe products if Adobe has come out on positions that cleave people into two or more sections.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends. If a company says, "We ask for more gun control," that's one thing. If a company says, "We stand with you against violence," that's another thing altogether.

The horrific incident at the gay club in Orlando could be used to push gun control (people who want an outright ban on the AR-15) or gun rights (membership in the Pink Pistols - an LGBT gun club - is on the rise). People will use incidents to push their agendas and companies will too. However, what they should be saying first and foremost is, "We stand with you and against evil." Saying you stand with those affected by a tragedy doesn't mean you come down on either side of any issue.

To be honest, I've found it very hard to explain to straight people just how devastating what happened at Pulse is to people in the LGBT community. If you've never been afraid to walk down the street holding hands with your significant other, it's hard to understand how horrifying it is to see a sanctuary shattered by violent hate. Nightclubs like Pulse are sometimes the only place someone feels safe to let down their guard and just be. Just when things in the United States were beginning to change (the right to marry was extended to all, a majority of people have positive images of the LGBT community, etc.) and people started feeling like they could relax a bit, the idea of safety was broken two weeks ago in atrocious fashion.

Some of us will never feel safe again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what you're saying is that the wording of a corporate message needs to make sure it doesn't try to attached their feelings onto their customers.

Now, in regards to not feeling safe, I remember the terror I felt walking down a side street with my girlfriend as we passed three tough guys.

Not more than 10 feet away I heard the unmistaken "chick-uhhh" of a bullet being chambered into a rifle. The guys laughed and laughed as we ducked behind parked cars and sprinted to make our way to the main street.

Was it because we are gay? Or women? Or privileged? Or they just didn't like us?

Doesn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sandee Cohen Ban the Spam wrote:

So what you're saying is that the wording of a corporate message needs to make sure it doesn't try to attached their feelings onto their customers.

I was just saying my opinion of their message would change.

A corporation should be free to attach their feelings as much as they want; it's their company. If they want to appeal to the broadest market, they'll leave politics out.

However, some companies feel like they can be an agent of change (agent of good, in their minds). Take all of the companies that produced It Gets Better videos that year when it was really popular. Some of them were very blatantly "pro-gay". They (briefly) alienated some of their user base with that kind of message. Was that good or bad? Depends on your point of view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, then let me push the conversation further.

Apple has said it will not provide the financial and technical help it was going to give to the GOP because of Donald Trump.

Do you think this will hurt Apple market share among Republican consumers?

Quite honestly I don't.

I think people migrate towards companies that promote an agenda that resonates with the consumer. But for those consumers who don't feel the same, then the consumer tends to ignore the corporation's extra-curricular agenda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Besides, a lot of Republicans don't like Donald Trump either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think people migrate towards companies that promote an agenda that resonates with the consumer. But for those consumers who don't feel the same, then the consumer tends to ignore the corporation's extra-curricular agenda.

All I can say is Hobby Lobby. 

Backlash against religious freedom laws helps gay rights in Indiana, Arkansas - LA Times

Huffington Post - Hobby Lobby

Gays bash Hobby Lobby as insensitive | Local News | Colorado Springs Independent

Hobby Lobby Wants To Control Which Bathroom A Transgender Woman Can Use, Too

Hobby Lobby Is Accused Of Anti-Semitism - Business Insider

Fortunately, we have no Hobby Lobby stores in my area. But if we did and they had anything of interest, I would never shop there on principle.   My friends & family members will never shop there either.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nancy i have a hobby lobby down the street in santa ana i havent been there but will stop in monday and ask their way of thinking toward gay peiple and restrooms all gender and if Jesus was here what would he do.(wwjd) i will find out what happens monday. Also will poll more businesses around my home that i do business in. Because a gay man wants to know who he does business with( and who he wont if they cant love like Jesus loves us all.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that was put very nicely. Im a gay male 52 white and you are correct. And hope more people can look and see love not blood throughout the world. God bless one and all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines