Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Who manages a website?

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone.

I was just looking to see who manages a website. Either personal or business.

Rather than asking How you use it - What CMS? I wondered if anyone has a moment with the following...

Every CMS (Content Mangement System) has good and bad things. Wordpress is one, Sqarespace is another but there are a lot more. Some you have to have hosted by yourself or through an agency or one that is hosted by itself. Outside of the platform itself there are things you need to do on a day to day like managing content and SEO or review statisitcs and making changes that you need to do. With that in mind...

- What annoys you managing your site day to day?

- What do you wish you could do/do better that you have to do to maintain your site/site content that you wish you did'nt?

- If you use a CMS what do you wish it did / had that it does not do for you currently?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built my own CMS.  It's liberating and far less painful than trying to reverse engineer a pre-existing platform to do only what's needed without carrying excess baggage for things that are not.  The upside is streamlined code that makes sense to work with.  I'm in the process of building another CMS.  And I'm taking the lessons learned from previous ones.  

Whether you build your own CMS or use an off-the-shelf system,  make a thorough list of what's required, prioritize each item and describe what the user experience should be for admins, staff, guests, members, new users, returning users, customers, etc... 

Organize data sufficiently to accomplish the various tasks. There's nothing worse than building an app and finding out afterwards that your database logic is ill-equipped to meet all the project goals.  Take your time with this as it's  critically important.

If I had to change anything about my current CMS it would be how the product catalog prints. The online catalog is populated from a MySQL database.  Ideally, that data should be ported into a catalog layout in a desktop publishing app.  That's something I haven't done yet. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I manage, develop and run several Websites privat and in my Business with visitors up to several Millions per day.
A good start is wordpress for sure. It is well known, there are many Design options and Plugins you can customize it as you wish and there are much Tutorials to learn from.
Website Maintainance is always a topic and its not easy. I hope that in the future more automatism could be implemented in CMS Systems. Hope that helps.

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines