Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WRONG !!! [Forum etiquette]

Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WRONG !

Do you answer posts in Adobe or other forums?

I am often tempted to answer that, in capital letters and even not smiling smileys.

As English is not my native language, I am curious to read from other types of answers like:

- I beg to differ...

- Simply not true...

- If you believe that...

- Nonsense! / Crap ...

- Urban legend...

- don't believe those self-promoted gurus!

- may I suggest to look at the issue in an other way?

- Don't believe XXXX or YYYY. They are spreading idiotic misinformation in their sites. (good one to bypass moderation...)

- " Sutor, nec ultra crepidam " (I prefer "bonum vinum laetificat cor hominum", but when I think about how many users will rush on Wikipedia...)

- Can you substantiate your (legitimate) thesis by logical reasoning, forum metrics, marketing shares, possibly some common sense?

- So, you have been programming for 50 years? / you are a retired IT manager? / You are a [Microsoft / Apple / Google] expert consultant?

- Incorrect use of language. According to the 'Oxford dictionary...'

- Sorry, the Adobe link you have been given is [missing / not updated/ not relevant to your software ]

- ??????????

- Common misunderstanding for newbies!

- No, color management is easy!

- Yes, Lightoom is in the cloud.

Other suggestions very welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

I used to correct grammar and typos on another forum on which I am a moderator.

I no longer do that unless the error causes the statement to be incorrect.

Bob, I haven't been, but it never occurred to me before about the translation issues that JR_Boulay mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted, I'll add a slide to the Moderator Deck on the translation reasons for correcting typos/grammar.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this is the part of the sentence that should be bold : "…that makes non sense when translated…"

I was thinking more about abbreviations, acronyms and expressions (it rains cats and dogs) that make no sense in another language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Whilst I understand the sense in your request, I would never edit a post for bad spelling/grammar/local phrases. It would very easy to, inadvertently, change the meaning or to put words/phrases in that the original poster would never have used.

With the exception of editing profanity or personal information I leave the posts as the originator posted.

I do occasionally add an edit to a title (and mark it as edited). For example change Help - to Help [with brush panel] .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay  wrote

Sorry, this is the part of the sentence that should be bold : "…that makes non sense when translated…"

I was thinking more about abbreviations, acronyms and expressions (it rains cats and dogs) that make no sense in another language.

Just an example:

In French the word 'terrible' can mean either 'awful ' or 'fantastic ' depending on the context; do you expect an online translation to do the right choice?

I often advise non-native English speakers to post in their native language to avoid any such misunderstandings.

About the use (excessive use) of smileys: it's often absolutely necessary if you think your tone and meaning may be misunderstood. Especially if you are joking and at risk to be taken very seriously. Better more smileys than none (childish, but who cares?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay  wrote

In Europe during the middle ages, most people lived in houses with thatched roofs (mud & straw).  The thatch gave small animals a safe haven from cold weather.  But when it rained especially hard or for long periods of time the animals jumped out of the eaves  and onto the dirt floor to stay dry.   Hence the English phrase, "it's raining cats & dogs." 

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this Nancy, I absolutely never knew where this saying came from. I learned something today, like Paul Harvey used to say "And now you know the rest of the story". I miss his radio show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Europe during the middle ages, most people lived…

I know this, but many people and Google Translate don't.

In French "it rains ropes".

(Il pleut des cordes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have totally missed the point trying to be made here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brad+Lawryk  wrote

I think I have totally missed the point trying to be made here?

Brad,

See my post Nr 10.

The forum Lounge is of very different nature from the other technical forums. It's also different from the mvp/acp/moderators backrooms.

It is open to all and you can freely  start any entertaining or serious general topic and enjoy the pleasure of well-behaved discussion between very different persons. However, let's face it, you mostly see 'insiders' starting or taking part in discussions here, most outsiders come here to find technical answers and only a few topics are succesfull in the original purpose of the forum.

Yes, I did apologize for not being clear from the start.

I did not come here to ask for guidance for moderation. There are other forums for that.

I did not think at all about mvp/acp answering questions. I had been browsing different (not only Adobe) forums and was interested in the various behaviours and styles of posters when they face very conflicting points of view. (General forums etiquette, not moderation rules).

I wrongly thought that I could start an open and entertaining discussion by depicting a portrait gallery of the various styles. Bad luck, everyone missed the point (starting with the first answer). I should have known that I was ridiculous to try some 'humour' in an international forum.

Now, what I find very interesting in this successful discussion is not the missed entertainment purpose, it's the nature of the discussion about communication between users of different languages and cultures, and the limitations of forum posting (hence the need for smileys...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to add to your original post, What about: "We agree to disagree."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone_Is_Wrong_On_The_Internet1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think there should be an age and IQ requirement to access the forums.

Sorry if this is off topic.  I have no clue what the OP was talking about.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines