3D Printing

Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is anyone here into 3D printing?  If so, what software do you use to make the models?  Which printer is the one to go with?  Any other pointers?  

I'm looking at the Original Prusa i3 MK3 which several sites seem to be raving over, and I use SketchUp, which I believe can drive 3D printers. Can any Adobe apps drive a 3D printer?

What sort of things do you make with your printer? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Can any Adobe apps drive a 3D printer?

Hi Trevor

I don't do 3D printing here - just images but at the bottom of the Photoshop 3D menu :

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can any Adobe apps drive a 3D printer?

Hi Trevor

I don't do 3D printing here - just images but at the bottom of the Photoshop 3D menu :

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 3D printing feature in Photoshop CC simplifies the process of printing your 3D creations. You can print your 3D objects on your own 3D printer, export the object for printing, or print to a 3D printing service.

Print 3D objects from Photoshop |

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Photoshop : 3D Printing video course on Lynda.com which you may wish to take a look at.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I didn't even think of Photoshop.  The problem with Photoshop is constructing complex models.  You can make more or less anything with SketchUp, although I wouldn't have a clue how to make something like a human figure.  It is much easier to make flat hard objects like this.

I started thinking about it after discussing a sand casting with someone, and thinking how complex the pattern making would have been.  We used to have to do it with wood and needle files, and it could be a tricky process.  You could at least fix mistakes by adding epoxy and filing again.  Then it suddenly dawned on me that you'd use a 3D printer.  Heck, how easy is that?!

Of course I only have the one project, and it would be crazy to buy a printer just for that, but if I can think more uses, I'd quite like to give it a go.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Sketchup, but you could look at what model formats you can use to export from Sketchup and  then import the models to Photoshop

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Of course I only have the one project, and it would be crazy to buy a printer just for that, but if I can think more uses, I'd quite like to give it a go.

When you get your 3D printer, Trevor, you will think of lots of uses!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, they are becoming cheap enough to take a risk on them having limited use methinks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor - not sure if you've seen any of Paul Trani's 3-D related videos but most of them are here: https://paultrani.com/category/3d-printing/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop with Fuse characters i.e, make the doll version of yourself... always a big hit with students

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this idea! Can you please show example or more details please?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines