• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4 dimensional gaming?

People's Champ ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I saw this on Youtube and was intrigued & skeptical.

I watched the video but could not wrap my head around the concept & am wondering if

this is actually a 4D world or just a gimmick?

What do you think?

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and no

yes because the standard 4D gaming term is perception

perception.jpg

Einstein put forward time as a 4d idea for real world senarios and his idea doesn't translate well into games

no because they define 4D different and if you are willing to allow how they interpret it then the gamespace is 4D

in any event the tradoff for this (appears random) layout is extra load on your cpu + ram for a slice and imo will only work on Windows because the GPU has to rendor that slice (the small part you see in game) ... the game itself would have to be very limited and their demo is pretty much as much as most Windows systems could manage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, yah.  It's a very creative idea to break one of the cardinal rules of 3d modeling by creating all those internal faces and then doing whatever they do to clip it or slice it so there are always some outward facing normals no matter where you slice it but it seems like more of a novelty or maybe a sloppy shortcut to avoid making many different models?  I also was not away that it was as computationally intense as you say.  So I'll chalk it up as a gimmick. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had no idea that something like this existed but I actually really the concept of the game irrespective of the gimmickness hehe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be insane in a VR headset probably

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actually able to recreate the game that you posted in Unity (I did that a year ago), however, I quickly lost interest in that project because it was quite gimmicky. It's not that cool.[sic]

If I find the project file I'll post a video (my PC is a mess, I should really start organizing my stuff).

p.s.

you're right. The game would probably be really amazing if it had VR compatibility. I'm still not on the VR hype-train.

I'm too afraid that it might be a fad so I stick to regular game development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As soon as they mentioned Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott Abbott, 1884, I knew I was hooked!

(Minute 1:26)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines