• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A beginning graphic designer. . .

Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a current college student with big ideas and inspiration to be a graphic designer and artist. I m in semester four and about to graduate soon. I have lots to learn and it will be a long time until I be a professional designer like most people in the design industry. I started to place my work in behance and its a start. What is the first step after I graduate from college to be part of the graphic design world or even now while I am in school?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

It really depends where you are... every country is different.  In the US it is easier... if you are already showing your work on Behance and other sites then you are on  the right path.  Belsky from Behance once said share on various sites and see what works best for you.  I could say what works best for me... but that might not be the best for you.  So you have to try things out.

Some sites like Adobe Portfolio allow you to attach your site to Google Analytics, something every person should lea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very, very large question... first tell us what aspect of design you feel is your aspiration or best avenue for design- graphic i.e. logo development, publications, exhibit design, web design, the list is endless. Beginning can be very extensive so do you wish to work for an ad agency, a firm that is design oriented (both can be the same in many ways)? Your location and what firms are in your area can also add into the mix of where to start. Do you wish to relocate for best possible job opportunities? Check out the web for job opportunities, do intern work with agencies... There are so may open ended responses to your question so please give us more details of what you seek and many here can give more direct answers! I worked for ad agencies before I started my own firm and that experience greatly helped me to focus on what I wished to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to do illustrations for books, print like (brochures, newsletters, etc.), branding (logos, business cards, etc.), photography (editing). I would also like to create websites. I would like to work for a small design studio or firm and work my way up. I am still in college and still learning my way with multimedia (animation). My semester that I am in, I will do a portfolio both traditional and digital. In Behance I started to put in my work that I did for school and just for fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on your way! Try and locate a local firm that you can apprentice with and this will help define in more detail what you like and don't like. Check out professional organizations such as AIGA.org and many others that can open doors if you wish to join or just get their newsletter that keeps you on top of what is current in the field. Check out GD (Graphic Design Magazine- www.GDUSA.com) it is free and also gives you current trends. It is a great exciting field to be involved with so accept any door that opens and fits your criteria!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you a current graphic designer/artist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I ran a graphic design business for about 30 years. It was exciting and rewarding in many ways but there are also times that it is very tiring as you felt that you knew best for a client but their vision was different. So I learned that one needs to back off and keep perspective on what the client sees--- it may differ from you but they are the client! I have returned to my passion which is Fine Art but I still retain certain clients that I work with. I love graphic design!!!! and it follows me even in my own creative work. It is hand and glove- one cannot exist without the other. I wish you all the very best and know that the passion will keep you moving forward!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of media (print, multimedia, etc.) do you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it whatever the client needed and felt that I could do- if out of my realm I hired subcontractors. Logo development (packaging and marketing), adverting and promotional campaigns, newsletters, brochures, exhibit design, cgi, signage, web design but on a limited format. Often if here were no fabricators in the area that could handle a job my colleagues and I devised ways to accomplish. There were other crazy design projects that were done...Needless to say there wasn't much the firm didn't tackle. Being open to all aspects is also a key to expanding what you want or wish to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Are you in Behance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am: www.behance.net/inthewood. Would like very much to have your link as you stated that you are beginning to set up your site there also. Much of my work now is in 3D- a passion as I am also a sculptor and this transcends two worlds that I am passionate about!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I create a link to behance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I am not able to add work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay! I have been a member of Behance way before Adobe purchased so tried to access rules, etc. that apply to todays requirements. Do you have an Adobe I.D? Once you have then getting into the site is easy. It use to have a free limited access so not sure this is still true but I think it is. After you have an i.d. login- www.behance.net and at the top is a link to add work after you set up your profile and anything else that is required. Not sure if this answers your question so please let me know what roadblocks you are encountering if any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tobey.jpgI have added work in behance. Feel free to take a look at my work. If you see a bear wearing glasses on a blue background that is my portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really depends where you are... every country is different.  In the US it is easier... if you are already showing your work on Behance and other sites then you are on  the right path.  Belsky from Behance once said share on various sites and see what works best for you.  I could say what works best for me... but that might not be the best for you.  So you have to try things out.

Some sites like Adobe Portfolio allow you to attach your site to Google Analytics, something every person should learn.  Then you can see who is viewing your site, from where, and you can learn fast what works and what does not.  With that being said you can set up Hootsuite as well to you LinkedIn, Instagram, to special Facebook page.  It works like Google Analytics too.

Find an internship.... something your professors should be making every student do.  This can lead to a job or at least open doors.

If you are in Germany, then get certified in the programs and software.  They want to see that you are certified in everything.  Some other countries may be similar... but Germany really wants to see you know things on PAPER (lame).  But still something good to know if you ever want to live in another country.

Get on LinkedIn!!!

Never say you are not good or that you are still learning (we are all still learning).  Never down play your skills.  Never say you are not professional.  Always talk up your work.  Never lie... Always say the truth.  But never say you are amateur, or that you are not an artist.  Never say you are beginner... say you are AN UP AND COMER!

Share your work via Social Media... add a new project on Behance... then promote it!

Finding work is not always simple... sometimes it is...  but if you are not proactive and constantly networking then you will be sitting at home on your hands.  Attend any events relating to the arts and design in your city!  This can help!  Behance Portfolio Reviews, Dribbble Meetups, etc.

ALSO NEVER STEAL SOMEONE'S WORK AND CLAIM IT AS YOUR OWN!  You do this and you will lose total respect!  Always be honest!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines