Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replace... never... too many existing programs and web sites use JPEG

Add to... no idea... support for Apple's MOV format is not universal, especially since Apple removed Quicktime for Windows support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for sharing this.

The format looks good but I would think adoption may take a long time.

It is clearly a format for sharing, I would not use a lossless format for master. But no matter how good the new format, at the moment you can put a jpeg out there, confident that almost anyone will be able to view it. I would be reluctant to put out images in a format that only a % of viewers might see. So a bit of a chicken and egg situation .

It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't Nokia in a patent dispute with Apple over parts of this?

As I understand it, Nokia has made an open-source JavaScript library that can be implemented on any website today. Meaning you don't have to wait for the browsers to support the file format or rely on 3rd party plugins to use it.  However major browsers will likely get on board once it gains wide enough acceptance.

Below a nice comparison of HEIF, animated GIF and JPEG

HEIF Comparison - High Efficiency Image File Format

More discussion on this at W3C and more recently in Hacker News.

Responsive Images breakout session TPAC 2016 -- 21 Sep 2016

HEIF – High Efficiency Image File Format | Hacker News

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder.

I detect that Apple no longer has quite the clout to set a new standard and make people convert.  There are an awful lot of .jpg gear and photos out there and they'll be around for a LONG time.  I'd wager that  HEIF converter will come out within days of any Apple release.

Me?  I shoot stills in Camera RAW with a jpeg preview.  I do have an iPhone now but am seriously considering  Samsung next time.  I have nothing but trouble with the lightning connector and, with new models trying to use it for audio as well, I don't have much confidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have an iPhone now but am seriously considering  Samsung next time

The only thing you will regret is that you did not do it sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay  wrote

I was impressed with my brother's Google Pixel.  At the time I didn't know it came in different versions, so I have no idea what his was, but it was the only time I felt tempted to change my aging 5S.  It astonishes me how so many of my friends feel compelled to have the latest model.  Many of them complain that they are hard up, some living mainly on a state pension, yet they regularly spend serious money on a device little different to the one they already have.  Plus they have data plans that cost the same as a full CC subscription.  In fact at least one of them says she can't afford even the Photography plan, and uses a pirated version of CS6!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If somebody is into Photography, I could understand getting the iPhone 7+. They say the best camera is the one you have with you and the camera on this thing is so great compared to older iPhones (and most Androids). Having the ability to optically zoom is great, but also the fake Depth of Field works really, really well and produces some shots that fool a lot of the general public into thinking it was taken with a DSLR. I love it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, My wife had the original iPhone.  The very original one when it first came out.  I just recently upgraded her a year or so ago when they quit supporting it on the carriers network (AT&T).  I bought an iPhone 5 off ebay for under $100.  No way I'm spending big bucks on a phone. I don't have an iPhone myself.  I'm using the freebie android phone AT&T gave me when I put another $100 on our go phone account.  We spend $100 each per year.  We use our phones so little that my wifes account balance is over $400 now as they keep rolling the unused dollars forward each year.  10 cents a minute and 20 cents per text.  We spend less then $8 a month on those terms.  But we don't use data.  I realize it may be convenient for some but I rarely find myself wishing I had access to the internet when I'm out and about.  Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use my iPhone and the data associated with it all the time! I use it to check the weather, I use it to check the news, I use it to keep up with the motion graphics community through the MDA Slack, I use it to communicate with friends via Snapchat, I use it to share images on Instagram, I use it as my GPS to guide me anytime I go to an unfamiliar location, I use it to find quality restaurants in new cities, I use it to book reservations at restaurants (and hotels sometimes), I use it for music (or NPR) all the time, I interface with my home security system with it, I use it to take GREAT pictures and video, and probably a dozen other useful things on a daily basis. It has really benefited my life.

Heck, I also use it to grab creative assets with the Adobe Capture app too! (I'm in the middle of making a tutorial about this.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first saw Adobe Capture I thought it was a toy. Now I find myself using it again and again to capture shapes and patterns.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

JR_Boulay   wrote

I was impressed with my brother's Google Pixel.  At the time I didn't know it came in different versions, so I have no idea what his was, but it was the only time I felt tempted to change my aging 5S.  It astonishes me how so many of my friends feel compelled to have the latest model.  Many of them complain that they are hard up, some living mainly on a state pension, yet they regularly spend serious money on a device little different to the one they already have.  Plus they have data plans that cost the same as a full CC subscription.  In fact at least one of them says she can't afford even the Photography plan, and uses a pirated version of CS6!

I like what I know of the Google Pixel and would seriously consider it, except...

Down here in Australia a single phone company/ISP has purchased the exclusive right to market the phone.  That company, I know to my cost, provides the worst customer service of any of them (and believe me, none are very good).  I've actually been asking when the exclusivity ends to see if it's worth waiting but so far haven't had a straight answer.

My wife, on the other hand, is an Apple addict.  I wonder how long it will take somebody to come out with an app to open WEIF on my Photoshop computer then convert to whatever I want.

As an aside...does anyone here use their phone (of whatever type) for any serious photography?  I use mine for "happy snap type grabs" since I carry the phone but use a DSLR (in camera RAW mode) for anything serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob

If I go out to take photographs I take a DSLR.

However if I am out for any other reason and see a potential image, I use my phone. I capture RAW in both (phone is a Samsung S7) and "develop" them back home in Lightroom. This avoids the aggressive sharpening and contrast applied by the phone on jpegs.

As I said in a previous post I do grab shapes and patterns using the phone and Adobe Capture - even at home where better cameras are available.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bob+Howes  wrote

I have nothing but trouble with the lightning connector and, with new models trying to use it for audio as well, I don't have much confidence.

I have had issues with the odd Lightning lead, but not the socket so far.  This is a 5S so it must be a few years old now.  In fact the socket that has caused me problems is jack!   I spend every moment I am not doing something that required my concentration, listening to audio books on my phone, and I used to get through at least a couple of ear buds a year through catching the lead on door handles etc. (no doubt which caused the problem with the jack socket).

But I am now totally sold on Blu Tooth.  It's range is good — in fact too good at times, because I occasionally lose the phone and have to do a lot of walking to triangulate its general location. When the headset runs out of power and I want to carry on listening, like when cooking in the kitchen, I use a Blu Tooth radio.  There is no problem with paring.  When the head set is charging it becomes disconnected, and turning on the radio has it instantly paired and running.

Best of all, because the Blu Tooth ear buds don't have a lead to catch, they have lasted for ages so far, so are saving me a lot of dollars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Howes: On Tumbl and Instagram you will find many people and photographers that shares photos made with their iPhone/Samsung/Sony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines