• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing

Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just was at Cliff's Variety Store (San Francisco) and came across this special edition tribute pencil set to photographer Dorothea Lange, famous for her 1936 Migrant Mother photo.

https://blackwing602.com/blackwing-volumes-volume-344/  

The pencil is themed as to how it would appear under a red safelight.

Just something I'm sure photographers here who once used darkrooms would like to see.

Gene

Note: They are sold out on this website, but Jetpens.com should have them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

Note: They are sold out on this website, but Jetpens.com should have them.

I wonder how many they sold and who bought them? 

I also wonder what Dorothea would have thought of taking a photograph with a tiny cell phone?

http://k01.kn3.net/496FCD18C.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital photography would have been a treat. Add touching up in Lightroom or Photoshop and transferring the final work to any destination in the world via cloud storage or showcasing on Flickr.

In 1936:

Box camera, plates, and any color so as long as it was black and white. Then it went to a lab if she did not have access to a darkroom.

Post-processing meant knowing how long the plates stayed in the chemical bath for the amount of exposure.

I came in at tail end of  the film era when a drugstore could run a 36 shot roll through a machine in one hour for $11 in 4x5 prints. That was 1990s dollars and one batch is more than the Photography Plan.

Anyway, I guess Blackwing did sell out of the stock, and I know some went to stores like Cliff's. The 24 USD price is reasonable for a dozen limited run pencils. They do send some of the proceeds to fund school programs, but I'm not sure what schools get it and in in what amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a darkroom at home for several years, but it was the smell of the chemicals that I was happiest to leave behind.  I made the point in the Photoshop forum a few days ago, about my brother's trip to New Zealand.  At the end of a five wee trip he took home 850Gb of mostly video from a dashcam and his Hero 5, and 50Mp stills from my 5DS that I loaned him.  The bugger also knocked my UHF whip off the roof bending the roof panel into the bargain, and left a terrible smell in my truck (that I loaned him) that still hasn't gone completely several weeks later.

But getting back to his 850Gb of imagery, after my first four week trip here for a holiday, I took home two 36 exposure rolls of transparencies!

By way of a very loose segway, I'd read that charcoal is good for absorbing smells, so I bought a box of charcoal drawing pencils from the stationary shop that spend at least half an hour a week browsing just in case they have got exciting new stock in .  I spread them out around my truck, but they haven't made a jot of difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, try filling a small bucket with charcoal briquettes. No guarantees, but worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never thought of charcoal briquettes as an odor remover, Ben. I guess you found yourself in situations needing that.

I'd go with a professional car cleaning that deals in odor removal if you are out of ideas, Trevor.

Might cost some, but you do what you have to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, lump charcoal - I misspoke. Briquettes with some additives could add smell of their own. Anyway, Carbon is a pretty good scent absorber, but you do need quite a bit of it. Pencils wouldn't cut it unless you've got a small space.

Gene's right, though. Only way to truly get rid of the smell would be to remove what ever is causing the smell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 'almost' gone.  At least it is waaaay better than when he first bought the truck back.  It is a fishy sort of smell. The trouble is when I asked about it, he just said get it valeted and send him the bill, and wouldn't say what had happened or even where.  That means I have no way of targeting the problem.  There was also one of impregnated pine tree shaped deodorizers hanging from the mirror, and a bottle of Fabreze and a cloth under the drivers seat. 

The first thing he said when back was to laugh and say the truck was 'almost' the same as when he took it, and I thought he meant he'd done something nice like put a couple of tires on it.  Note, I'd put two new tires, had the cam belt changed and a full service a week before he got to us, and he put 5000 kilometres on it.  But, no.  He wasn't treating me.  He had the broken CB antenna in his hand with a suggestion about how I could fix it, and the buckled roof panel.

Of course the antenna was buggered, and I had to replace it at NZ$120, and the new one is sitting at an angle because I need half a days work to take out the roof lining enough to beat flat the buckle, so I am not best chuffed about it.  This is how it used to look.  After fitting the new antenna the CB wouldn't power up, but that was just a bad earth.  Naturally I forgot to plug in the extension speaker when I had the dash out, so that's another hours work.   No good deed goes unpunished, as they say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can only guess you'll have the number of a car rental place at hand...even if he just promises it will be a quick trip around the block.

Everyone is a rookie when it comes to operating and taking care of your stuff no matter how well you get on with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines