• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe betrays Web Developers and Designers

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Web Developers when will we cry out about Adobe's continued effort to devalue the profession we have taken years to learn and perfect.  After all it was all of us that made Adobe the success it is today.

With its continued offerings like Muse and now Spark that basically tout the effortless creation of point and click, drag and drop, web content and now video production they are undercutting the hand that feeds them.

We have all seen our hourly rates drop because of all the "create a website in minute with no coding" BS that make our customers think creating a website is no big deal that they can have their secretaries crank out a website in a day and Adobe is promoting this misconception.

I would think that Adobe would have a little more respect for the industry that put them were they are today.

JLS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a web developer I can't say I agree with you. Adobe was successful way before it got in to the web side of things. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere made Adobe successful. Not web tools.

As for the click and drag tools, they have been around a lot longer that Muse and Spark. Adobe is just trying to tap into a market that is already there. Call it the changing of times. Much as we have seen the family portrait photographers slowly disappearing due to everyone and their cat having adequate cameras now. No video rental places around anymore now that everything can be streamed.

It certainly isn't Adobe's fault that the web industry is going the way of a 'Do it yourself' approach. That has been around longer than Adobe was even in the web. In reality, Dreamweaver itself was basically the Muse of today back in the Macromedia days. Coders complained about DW and FrontPage taking away potential clients. Now DW users are complaining that tools like Muse, Spark, Wix and many more are putting them out of business.

Where Adobe IS betraying the web developer is the lack of direction for Dreamweaver and Business Catalyst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is in the business of selling software, and when it comes to "new style" web development Adobe does NOT drive the market

My wife built her own web page using word press, and switched to wix to work with her business partners... no other software tools from any other companies needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't blame Adobe.  I think it's Google Sites, Wix, Squarespace, Facebook and others who have done the most harm here.  Adobe is a small fish in this pond of widget- based site creation tools.    If that's all you need, fine.  Go for it.  Chances are you're not my client.  My clients need custom web applications with a UI/UX that does not look like everyone else's stuff.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I did not make my point very succinctly...

It was not the tools themselves that I was complaining about as much as the marketing around them... which I realize WIX and the like are also contributing to but I don't feel like I have supported WIX all my career by going to training and conferences and paying exorbitant software premiums for increasingly shoddy updates.

On Thursday, January 11, 2018, 5:27:28 PM EST, Brad Lawryk <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

|

Adobe betrays Web Developers and Designers

Brad Lawryk marked Nancy OShea's reply on Adobe betrays Web Developers and Designers as helpful. View the full reply

Marked as helpful:

Don't blame Adobe.  I think it's Google Sites, Wix, Squarespace, Facebook and others who have done the most harm here.  Adobe is a small fish in this pond of widget- based site creation tools.    If that's all you need, fine.  Go for it.  Chances are you're not my client.  My clients need custom web applications with a UI/UX that does not look like everyone else's stuff.

Nancy

Following Adobe betrays Web Developers and Designers in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

twiggletoes  wrote

the effortless creation

Effortless?... clearly you don't use Muse or Spark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously - do you remember Front Page? This has been a thing as long as the web has existed and there have been web designers, web developers and web masters. Remember Adobe Page Mill? I could go on and on. This isn't anything new.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

50/50

Sometimes the software change a lot, but maybe we should take the opportunity and move our effort to another step.

¿How many cars are built manually?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the challenge comes with not desiring to change as the world changes around us.  Adobe,  WIX, SS, all these companies aren't doing anything necessarily wrong, they are instead adapting to the desires of the clients that exist within the space in which they operate.  As technology improves and becomes more powerful, and as developers find new ways to make software do things that it couldn't do before, the environment around those software products is going to change.

And we - that's a collective we, regardless of profession or focus - need to be willing to adapt to that change.  It doesn't matter if it's an automotive riveter being replaced by a robotic arm or a mass-market web developer being replaced by a neural network - we as people have to accept that the world is not static, and that means our skills cannot remain static - we must be willing to change.

Or we get left behind.

It's not about what's 'fair' or if a company is doing something to 'betray' it's clientbase - if that company doesn't innovate and adapt, then it's clients will eventually find a different company, and people would be decrying that company's failure to innovate as the reason for their own demise.

Be flexible.

Change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines