• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Software vs Adobe Cloud

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone still use Adobe Software ??   I mean the kind that you download or install from optical media ??

I chatted with Adobe and they acted like I was crazy.  Crazy, I mean, crazy for not using the cloud.

I have a lot of money invested in Adobe software and feel as though I'm not allowed to use it.

Some of this is invested in servers and server technology.

The more you use your server the fewer services one must acquire through the cloud.

The cloud, as I see it, it more expensive than using traditional software that does the same thing.

The cloud has improved getting upgrades to customers.  But, that is all, as I see it.

[Moved by moderator to the Lounge Forum since this is not a technical question]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

The "cloud" versions of the software are exactly like the software that came on optical discs. It installs on your machine and runs on your machine just like the older versions used to work. The only difference is that you don't have to mess with discs and you need to connect to the internet every month or so to keep the software activated.

It's really fast to install the software too - much faster than the old optical disc way of doing things. Once it's downloaded (which doesn't take long on a d

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "cloud" versions of the software are exactly like the software that came on optical discs. It installs on your machine and runs on your machine just like the older versions used to work. The only difference is that you don't have to mess with discs and you need to connect to the internet every month or so to keep the software activated.

It's really fast to install the software too - much faster than the old optical disc way of doing things. Once it's downloaded (which doesn't take long on a decent connection), the software installs within a minute! Also, you can use your software on any machine using either Mac or Windows and then switch to a different machine at any point. It's much better this way.

Another huge benefit of the Creative Cloud (especially if you work with other people) is the Libraries feature. You can set up library and share it with your team members who are working on a certain project with assets particular to that project. Logos, color themes, stock art, etc. all in the same spot for everyone to access.

Even if you work alone, the mobile apps (like Adobe Capture) work with the Libraries really well to help you grab assets as you travel. I was on a trip in San Diego and walked into thrift shop. I saw an old quilt that had a color scheme that would fit perfectly for a project I was working on back home. So I used the Capture app to make a color theme based on it in just a couple of seconds and then, when I got back to Nashville, it was sitting there in my Adobe apps ready to be used! (I really like the Capture app.)

Don't forget Typekit too! As a CC subscriber, you get a huge amount of fonts for free. You can install them and start using them without having to exit Photoshop or After Effects or whatever you're working in.

If I had a choice, I would not go back to optical discs. Instant access to any version of the software I want as far back as (and including) CS6 on any computer I want is great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir.  I appreciate this kind of feedback. 

Feedback, especially since I'm getting close to buying a new version of Coldfusion for download.

I want to use coldfusion on the cloud but too many of my applications are server based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud is merely a software payment & distribution model.  It has absolutely nothing in common with so-called cloud-based web hosting and other services that you may already be using.  In that sense, I think Adobe misnamed the product giving the false impression that Cloud software is something it isn't.  Creative yes, but Cloud not so much.

The main reason for going to a CC model is to keep pace with the ever changing operating systems.  Think about it.  How many operating system updates have you received in the last few years?   Every OS change makes your computer different than it was when you purchased it.

Disk software can't keep up with rapid changes in technology.  It is what it is.  That's why it had to die.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. 

The truth is not always hard to live with.

Now, I have to consider how much money I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@manual888 the great thing about the cloud opposed to the old disk software is you don't need to buy multiple products for $200.00+. You can easily get a subscription for all the apps you need which helps you finish your work quickly and efficiently. Now after you are done with your project and maybe you don't have time for more projects and want to put your subscription on hold you can! So lets say it cost 29.99/month to get every adobe app and you only need it for a month. Well you only paid $29.99 instead of $800.00. It is a more economical and efficient way of doing things now. Also they are discontinuing disk drives since they have moving parts and aren't very fast or reliable. Flash memory is the new technology.

And adobe named its cloud service well. Because it is a cloud service. A cloud can stand for many things in the computer world. But in this case it is being used to mean a service that can be accessed by many users at anytime and is easily managed. It also does file syncing with cloud storage. It just doesn't do a lot of cloud computing, you still use your computer to do a lot of the work.@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[If you] want to put your subscription on hold you can!

Just to clarify, you must be on a month-to-month (not yearly) plan to stop your subscription that way.  It costs a little more per month but it gives you the freedom to stop whenever you want.  

A yearly plan costs less per month but you are committed to the entire year.  Early cancellation will result in a penalty fee.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. 

Perhaps I didn't see the good side of using the cloud.

There's more to know. about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

downloads and cloud is the way forward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appear to be getting the answer that I expected here.

Adjustments can be slow sometimes, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines