• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe stock photo fraud

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always buy Adobe stock photos to use for concepts and finished art for my clients. I design Key Art (movie posters and DVD cover art) and for the last couple of years I must have bought over a hundred photos at $.99 each  Tonight I was on deadline and bought 20-30 $.99 photos at a breakneck speed to meet that deadline.  Except this time, planted among the $.99 photos that I was clicking on, was a $499.99 photo. No warning that this photo was somehow different from the thousands of $.99 photos I was frantically clicking on. After a few minute of obtaining photos, I paused to check my bank account to see if I had enough money to keep getting more images for my client, and saw the $499.99 charge for one photo. I had to do some detective work to check it out and yep, sure enough, there was a photo buried among the $.99 ones that was approx. 500% more than all the other photos I've been buying for years.

I contacted Adobe within five minutes of discovering this mistake and with the empathy of a statue I was informed that there are no refunds. Even for a mistakenly clicked on photos.  Once you click you're stuck.

I contacted my bank and they are working on refunding my funds but I am cancelling my Adobe Stock Photo subscription and sticking with depositphotos.com as their $.99 photo section is really and absolutely $.99.... and they have bigger selection!

A cautionary tale.  Be warned.

Larry Barsky

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry, I've asked a staff member to take a look here, but I am curious: the Adobe Stock subscription plans give you X number of standard assets at a specific monthly price, and standard assets beyond the monthly limit are $9.99 each, or $2.99, or $1.99 depending on the plan. I've not seen anything on Adobe Stock for $0.99.

What stock plan are you on?

Adobe Stock pricing and membership plan | Adobe Stock

Mike

[Edit... I just noticed the 750 assets per month plan for $199/month with additional assets at $0.99... is this the plan you have?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I'm on this plan:

Adobe Stock - 10 images a month for DPC members (one-year)‎

Basically it's $10.00 a month and then $.99 per photo after that.  It seems that the photo I inadvertently clicked on was a "premium" photo.

I was clicking on the shopping cart icons at the bottom of each photo so fast I didn't see any indication that one of the photos was "premium".

If you know someone at Adobe that can look into this it would be incredibly appreciated. Adobe can look at my buying pattern of hundreds of $.99 photos over the last two years and then all of a sudden a $499.99 charge.

I explained to the customer service person that I've been using Adobe products since 1994 and a Creative Cloud subscriber since the CC started. That didn't make any difference. I was told there was a no refund policy on stock and that was that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a $499.99 photo

just out of interest... could you link this photo please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ussnorway,

It's photo #113213564, 'Full frame shot of gas masks by Cavan Images' on the Adobe Stock site. I was going to use it as a background for a DVD cover of a horror movie in which the killer wears a prominent gas mask.

LB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Ussnorway, Here is a thumbnail of the $500 photo.

500_F_113213564_r7x9r1t7HsTlc1RSSgjRNGEwXiW19Uvq.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it normal for 'Premium' stock images to carry a $500 price tag?  What typically constitutes a Premium image?  I can't help but feel they have made a mistake with this particular image, because I am not see any reason for it to be rated so highly. 

I bet not even a Peter Lik image would be worth that sort money for stock use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Trevor.Dennis,

I just don't know what the normal price for a Premium photo is as I've never bought one. I assume that the price is negotiated between the photographer and Adobe. That's their problem.

As for whether I think the the photo is worth it... as you know, art is in the eye of the beholder...and also what the market will bear.  All I know is that I could never afford it.

My issue is not really with the exorbitant price.  My argument is with Adobe's practice of planting outrageously priced photos in the midst of their bargain priced inventory. And then not refunding  payment when a hasty or caffeinated -shaky mouse click (on their deceptively placed product) happens in the heat of a deadline.  It's almost like they're baiting people... putting a high priced item on the shelf at a 99 cent store and hoping the customer won't see the excessive charge on their bank statement.

It reeks of deception!

Even the fraud dept. at my bank contacts me when an unusual or out-of-character activity shows up on my credit card and they give me the benefit of explanation. Adobe has my spending pattern on record but they stuck to the 'no refund' policy like it was life-or-death.  No consideration for customer loyalty, customer spending and buying habits, the fact that most of us designers live 'pretty close to the vest' (paycheck to paycheck, client-to-client, fixed incomes, etc.), or the instance of overwhelmed, over-tired saps like me that fall prey to their bait-and switch tactics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry,

I mentioned above that I've asked Adobe staff to have a look at this... but it was after hours yesterday. Let's see what kind of response comes today.

Thanks for providing the details, that will help.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

If you need it, the reference # for my conversation with Adobe support last night is, H0221846963.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to look up "premium collection" and found a blog post:

Introducing the Adobe Stock Premium Collection | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Was there any "are you sure you want to spend $500" warning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jane-e,

I wish there was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry

I will arrange for customer support to contact you regarding the Premium image purchased in error.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Bev. That would be incredible!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bev and Barb,

I have not heard from Adobe Customer Support since I called them to report this incident on Tuesday evening Mar 25.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I have not heard from Adobe Customer Support since I called them on Wednesday night, Mar 25, to report this incident. Best,Larry

[Personal information removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are certainly nice images Jane.  It might be that Adobe are selling exclusively with the high price.  You can be fairly certain that such an image is unlikely to show up all over the place diluting your brand imagery.

Jane's link gives you the ideal person to contact in 'Head of Content' Scott Braut, if you can find contact details for him.  Larry certainly has a valid point regarding the lack of fair warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised this is the first time we are running into this on the forum. (At least in my experience.) The only warning is the rather small, light gray "PREMIUM" under the download options. Like Jane, I had to google Premium to even learn of its existence. My only tip (for future readers of this thread, because I understand why you have cancelled your subscription, Larry) is to activate the filter option and set the price limit. That image isn't shown at $ or $$.

Google Chromess_004.png

Google Chromess_005.png

And for those of us new to the Premium option, in addition to Jane's link above, this might be helpful.

Google Chromess_006.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb,

Wish I would have known that filter trick before last night. i guess i never actually thought I'd need a price filter since i thought all the photos were $.99.  Way too naive.

Thanks so much for the info. It means a lot.

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us didn't know, LarryLB​.

I will set a price limit as soon as I get home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines