Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are you a musician?

Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello creatives!

it's been a while I had a chance to play music but lately I have been blessed by the luck of meeting soulmates who both are artists AND musicians and so I wonder, just for the sake of a good creative conversation, how many of you can play one or more instruments and what does that give to your creative life?

I have been playing piano, sax, bassoon and I've been a singer for many years. Gave up 14 years ago and went shyly back to just piano hopefully to stay - I like playing soundtracks mainly. A damage to my vocal chords makes it hard to sing but I still try now and then, but it is I admit very awful at times

What music has given me that made my skills in Photoshop grow is the mindset of creating things a bit at a time, going back and refining small parts while you connect them to the rest of the score. The fact that building the piece whether I write (yes I can write music too, I had some composition at the conservatory of music, while at - I have written some children songs just for fun a couple of years ago) or I play does not go from A to Z but that I have to jump back and forth and that a complete piece is made of repetition, construction, execution and interpretation are a school for life, almost. To get to the top of the iceberg you have to go all steps.

How about you?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great photo Chuck!  Love it!

And thanks for this great topic, Flo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you all for answering, it's very cool to learn and in case you never heard, after many many years away from the piano, last year I was studying video at Adobe Generation Professional (before I became assistant instructor for two classes I was a student). And in that occasion I played the background music for one of my tutorials. Mention how my ego goes high fashion

I saved the impromptu on my ipad while at home - this is what I could create after not touching a piano for 14 years. I still feel both proud and ashamed about it - here too, a touch of ego going high fashion but if we don't think big....

Behance  - piano impromptu‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌you are too kind Benjamin, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Chuck!

Hi John and welcome into the discussion. I think it is important, once you learn a skill like playing music, that you keep it alive.

Ok I cheat, I did not think that for quite a while, but when I landed on a piano again, I understood that I was wasting all those hours I had spent on it dropping it in the past. Now I am far from being a good pianist, but when I can, I try to keep my fingers going

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

floramc wrote:

thank you Chuck!

Hi John and welcome into the discussion. I think it is important, once you learn a skill like playing music, that you keep it alive.

Ok I cheat, I did not think that for quite a while, but when I landed on a piano again, I understood that I was wasting all those hours I had spent on it dropping it in the past. Now I am far from being a good pianist, but when I can, I try to keep my fingers going

Classical guitarist Julian Bream once gave an interview where he revealed that he wasn't allowed to practice as much when he was conscripted into the military. Think it was like 2 hours max, if lucky. When he got out, he found his technique improved rather than regressed. 

So, it's not so much about time as it is about technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hey Flora and yes I think you need that release of all the stress of the day. To be able to not think about anything else it's my form of meditation. I to am no pro but I do love to play and act like I'm really rockin it out lol!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

john stephanites wrote:

I'm really rockin it out lol!

That's the spirit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this post it made go pick up the guitar last night and strum a little which felt real real good. If you got kids Christmas becomes a wee bit stressful at times! Even though it's my fav time of the year i get into the spirit by running around for that one toy of the year and trying to find the best price or just trying to find it is lots of fun but stressful at the same time! Happy holidays everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John your message is so warming, thank you for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I play the guitar and I like it very much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playing guitar for awhile. Before I got into web design I used to hang at a studio that we built from the ground up. This all got started because someone needed to know how to use You Tube better and get a site up. That never materialized but I kept at this. I still go to the studio and play once in awhile it's a good break!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from my own two recording projects, I started a series of compilation recordings which heavily featured members of the ACP community. Most are now ex-ACP, but even so...

Emergent Collective One

Emergent Collective Two
Emergent Collective Three

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe very cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

even so - so amazing! Thanks JosephLabrecque‌ for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a guitar lover. I have an acoustic and electric guitar.

Not a professional but I really like play anything. (improvisation)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Floramc,

I am not musician, but i really love to music. I learn to flute and become a good musician.

Regards

Manny Johar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manny!

Music is surely one of the strongest connections between human beings. It is not just important as a training to the creative activities, it is too something to love and cherish for the way it communicates with our souls.

I am very grateful for all that music meant to me not just in the terms I expressed with my post but for the people it made me met, the conversations it created. Even the mere fact I am here, it all started with a bunch of good songs. So keep on loving music, it's life's biggest and most generous gift to us human beings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Floramc,

I know that music is the inner power of human beings. But without explore our music skill i am not a good singer and i can't express our view infornt of people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines