Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are you a musician?

Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello creatives!

it's been a while I had a chance to play music but lately I have been blessed by the luck of meeting soulmates who both are artists AND musicians and so I wonder, just for the sake of a good creative conversation, how many of you can play one or more instruments and what does that give to your creative life?

I have been playing piano, sax, bassoon and I've been a singer for many years. Gave up 14 years ago and went shyly back to just piano hopefully to stay - I like playing soundtracks mainly. A damage to my vocal chords makes it hard to sing but I still try now and then, but it is I admit very awful at times

What music has given me that made my skills in Photoshop grow is the mindset of creating things a bit at a time, going back and refining small parts while you connect them to the rest of the score. The fact that building the piece whether I write (yes I can write music too, I had some composition at the conservatory of music, while at - I have written some children songs just for fun a couple of years ago) or I play does not go from A to Z but that I have to jump back and forth and that a complete piece is made of repetition, construction, execution and interpretation are a school for life, almost. To get to the top of the iceberg you have to go all steps.

How about you?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to play the tuba in high school and college. I gave my tuba away to my middle school after they got vandalized. I did enjoy playing and it was a great way to bring me out of a bad mood or depressed mood: I'd play all the depressing pieces that I knew then gradually work my way to happier pieces. worked every time. I do miss playing, but I'm not sure the wife would like be getting another tuba. I was at one time thinking of getting a baritone, as I used to play that also. Tried electric bass for a little bit, but sold my bass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warunicorn‌ is a musician.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yarp. Guitar (both electric and classical) is my main instrument. My skills on the other instruments are somewhat rudimentary (except maybe bass guitar...which is really just a lower-scaled guitar with its upper two strings missing). 

Got hooked on guitar early in high school, classical especially. Led me eventually to digital audio workstations in the late 90's/early 2000's. (Cakewalk for DOS, anyone?) It's amazing what's available today for the musician looking to record on his/her computer. What costs about $200 (or even less) now would have costed thousands years ago just to achieve the same end. I kind of laugh when I think about the 4-track tape recorder my friend bought back in the 80's. Think it was one of those Portastudios that TASCAM made.

I actually (and eventually) rolled around to Photoshop via my old job as an independent Web designer. I'm very DIY-centric so I pretty much ended up designing assets for my own music-related projects.

That was nice of you to give your tuba, Chuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also play guitar (and bass), and piano/keyboards. I had a band back in the day, but don't have much time for that anymore. I'm trying to get myself motivated to hook up to my MacBook and record some tracks with Garage Band, but where does the time go?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌cool to see so many musicians around

time can be a main issue, that is true. I think it is interesting, how creative work can be like music at times don't you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For, you're right! Creative work and music are different facets of the same jewel. It's not surprising to me that we have a lot of musicians in our midst!

I'm reminded of this little demo I put together a while back, as I was playing around with a Photoshop 3D technique for a tutorial. I recorded it as a time lapse, and added a music track, and it seems to work I'm linking to it here, since it is "Festive," and that goes along with the season...

http://youtu.be/_pitiCQiXIE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌wow! So happy I started this conversation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flo, I play the piano - I was brought up with piano lessons from the age of 6 but once I moved away from home at 18, my piano playing basically died down as I had no piano.  I have one at home now and play occasionally, so glad I was taught to read and play music at that age.  Your post was timely, I was thinking I should make more time to play - just for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

play music and drawing are as a therapy to me. How lovely to learn you play piano too, Tricia!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I play the guitar and a keyboard from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me lower the tone of this discussion let me say that, despite valiant attempts, I'm NOT a musician.

However, I fill my desire to be involved in music by recording musicians (usually on Audition) and getting involved in the creative process that way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌which is too very cool!

audition is absolutely out of my range. Respect for you who can use it. Without the yous many musicians would not hear their works properly:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flo, I have been a professional flutist (besides my career as civil engineer). I loved playing chamber music (preference 20th century), performed in a duo with a guitarist for many years. Teaching flute to kids and adults is another passion (next to training for Captivate). At home I have a collection of flutes, not only my silver flutes (have one very precious old Louis Lot but also modern Canadian flute from Goosman), but instruments from all over the world: Mali, Nepal, Colombia, China, Peru...to mention some. The most recent flute is a native American flute which I bought from a flutist in Sedona in October.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's neat! I have a friend from high school who plays flute, she moved to Holland and teaches music there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri‌ So great! I almost graduated in bassoon. Spent years playing with flutes, they are great instruments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you play the Villa-Lobos for flute and bassoon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌studied, never performed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's neat Bob! I keep wanting to relearn Audition. I used to use Cool Edit 2000, which is what Audition used to be before Adobe bought it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Me too!  In fact I started with Cool Edit 96 before CE2000 the Cool Edit Pro and into Audition eventually.  It's grown a lot since the CE2000 days but it would probably still feel vaguely familiar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did download Audition, but I really haven't had any projects or time to really play with it and learn it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a hard enough time just playing the radio ........ never mind instruments!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad you are hilarious!

well, with what many of them send, I would not doubt having a hard time playing the radio

‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having fun with an old photo. I was trying to do compositing back in high school with film - didn't work so well, but 34+ years later, I find my old neg of me next to my tuba and holding a picture frame that I was going to composite something into at that time. So I posed and put my current self in the photo. A little tricky posing just right like I was actually in the tuba, but all those years playing it set up some muscle memory - plus a little puppet warp.

tuba.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌cool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines