Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Astronomy

Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any "lounge members interested in getting started in astronomy ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about gastronomy? 

That's something you can put your teeth into.

Seriously, I like science & star gazing but I'm not crazy about math.  So I was never wild about astronomy.  

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

Seriously, I like science & star gazing but I'm not crazy about math. So I was never wild about astronomy.

I'm not certain that maths would be required anymore for general astronomy. The Hubble site has some very good images available, and could possibly be used as a starting point for such a subject.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/multimedia/index.html

I'm not certain, but I think all images are royalty free, and just require a mention of the originating source, (e.g. from the Hubble telescope ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy Pziecina ... and wondering why questions of hydrogen location

direction dispersal are so often questioned, and my next to my next

comment ... Alpha Centauri is a binary Star that could question these

"fundamental and vital question of the observation of it's Physics " ...

I'll wait in line until the question complies with an intelligent answer.

I'm not NASA Nancy or who it is to impart ; HO2 wat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hubble has given us tremendous info and some glorious images in 25 years.  Hopefully it will continue well beyond the intended 2020 life expectancy.

Sort of related.  I saw an interesting program about the Euclid ESA project.  An orbiting observatory scheduled to launch in 2020.  The goal is to measure galaxy & galaxy cluster redshift to better understand Dark Energy and it's role in accelerated universe expansion over the last 10 billion years.  ESA Science & Technology: Euclid

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the site @ ESA to notice a greater application to detail ;  In my post of the Tao, or Yen and Yang we notice detail from the most complex to the seemingly simple.  From the beginning of time, or it's application to intelligence, we must consider today's application of "intelligence" to the mentioned application of the "same yet complete opposite" and/or application.  That Acid Rain was mentioned, an with a few tips to the "negative on alkaline" content of Salt ... the simple comes in view .  We become prey to this ancient form of Religious Anarchism .  Believe that the last President has only set the stage for those unable to interpret his disgust with the time honored system of today's Academic System.  After over 20 Years of Research and Investigation in the Public Library System ... every question can be answered, what does this mean to someone who leans toward this aspect of Anarchism or being a revolutionary or Prison Material .    I'll still be around with the Clown, and it's Circus.  Robert A. Ca.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Decades ago I was an avid amateur astronomer.

I was just looking over my bookshelf and thinking which items could go in the next yard sale, the 3 volume Burnham's Celestial Handbook was one of the first on the list to go!  I haven't used it for decades and it takes up space I could use for hardback collections of my favorite comic books!

I'll keep the more image-oriented Astronomy references because they have pretty pictures, but that set is all charts and tables.  No visual appeal at all.

It's a great hobby, but I just sort of lost the passion for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An interesting topic that for thousands of years "the wise men were considered Astronomers" .  In my discovery, A-C the binary star named The Dog Star, plays more an important role in understanding of the history of "our next closest star cluster" ... than is believed presently in this valued and up-dated material .  The off-beat vocabulary, letter to word, designations are widely varied, an mysteriously ordered.  My Copyright of Androgynous Andromeda Robert Jesus Hatei was received by Apple Computer in 1995' with no credentials toward this personage .  The relation or effect on human behavior is questioned, rather the constant is that this mystical belief has been passed on from generation to generation.  Does anyone else recognize that Astronomy to be that relation to the spiritual or religious mind of human intelligence ?   Are than any other opinions of Alpha -Centauri  ?  AKA Robert Arthur Canright

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Who is Robert Arthur Canright?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines