• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

basics of color correction (tv part)

Mentor ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this really good and concise explanation of color basics re: basics.  It was some guy in Los Angeles, who won't mind me sharing this.

I just copied pasted stuff to notepad and won't edit the thing ...you'll get the idea the way it is...It's pretty cool way of just explaining and might help eliminate some confusion, like my own, for example.

=========begin paste=====

The Mini Monitor isn't just a TB to HDMI adapter, like the adapters your can buy for $7 off Amazon.

It converts a computer data signal to a TV signal. Fundamentally different types of signals. This is why you can't just plug a TV directly into your HDMI port in your computer. It would show up as second computer monitor, extending your desktop, displaying a computer signal.

TV video signals can be progressive, interlaced, different frame rates, and adhere to standard formats like ATSC, PAL, etc., encoded in Y'CbCr. Computer video signals are different beasts entirely, and computer monitors that are color-accurate and 10-bit for graphics work still are not equipped to handle interlaced signals or the various frame rates you find in TV signals.

The Mini Monitor's purpose is to allow you to view a true TV signal.

Thus BMD would never need to build in a second-screen full screen video playback like Premiere or FCP into Resolve, at least for color correction, because that could never be a true TV signal. It might, however, be useful in Resolve's growing capacity as an NLE apart from color correction, to be used purely as a non-accurate preview for editorial purposes (which is what Premiere and FCP and other NLEs are doing).

--------------
The issue here is the type of signal. As the broadcast online editor and/or colorist, you are responsible for shaping and delivering the actual deliverable end product: an electrical signal. Not a picture, not an image, not a video. These are higher-order constructs that exist in our minds. The actual thing that we are delivering, wether by file or by tape, is a representation of an electrical signal. A very particular type of signal. You need to monitor the kind of signal you are going to deliver. So you have to monitor your images as a TV signal.

A computer display with an application window full-screened is a computer signal with information about all sorts of stuff. It is not a TV signal.

You need to be able to "see" your signal. This means to view the pictures encoded by that signal, and at the same time measure various other properties of that signal via a set of external scopes. You do this to ensure that your signal is in technical compliance with laws that govern TV signals in your region, and to help make color correction decisions.

You use a Mini Monitor to get a TV signal out of your grading app, then monitor that signal on a calibrated TV and a set of external scopes. Your signal is managed by the Mini Monitor, containing only your TV signal.

Plugging your monitor into the computer, you are seeing a signal generated by the graphics card containing other information managed by the OS. We don't want to "see" or monitor that. That's not what we are delivering.

Think of it this way: the Mini Monitor turns yours computer into a "TV station" of sorts. You use your calibrated TV to "watch" the TV signal "broadcast" by your computer-turned-TV station.

Same metaphor extends to grading movies. In this case, your UltraStudio or other monitoring device feeds a projector. Your computer then becomes a movie theater projector, and you watch it in a grading theater on a silver screen.

It's all about the signal.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CS series Eizos need an external sensor. Only the CGs have it built in.

Either way, you need to use the bundled ColorNavigator software to get the full potential from these units. It supports all sensors on the market. That's the only way to get to the monitor's internal high-bit processor, any other third party calibrator is left to adjust the video card which is inferior in more ways than I can list here.

The x-rite i1Display Pro is one of the best sensors on the market, and worth the price alone. But you buy it for the sensor only. The x-rite software should not be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse, thank you. I did order the calibrator and it should arrive in a few days. Luckily got one you suggested.

The internet gives some contradictory info re: new CS monitors re: built in calibration (hardware) and not. Don't matter, mine doesn't and thing is on way. Then it's the other stuff ( adjusting ref monitor to eizo and shooting color swatches and all that stuff ).

To add a pleasant 'twist' to things I spent about 3-4 hours (totally wasted time ) dealing with 2nd monitor showing boot up screen and then eizo powering on and displaying 'windows is started' and the task bar being on eizo.  I decided it doesn't matter and won't waste more time on that odd stuff.

Who cares ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got calibrator and will use tonight when dark out. Blinds don't kill all daylight in room. Fooled around with Lilliput field monitor (10.1") using user settings. Got gain for R,G,B. Got 'offset' for R,G,B. What the heck is 'offset' ? Is that like moving white and black point or something ??

duh..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a reasonable interpretation. Pulling the midpoint of a rubber band, vs. moving the whole band. But I have no idea what they really mean.

It doesn't have to be pitch black when you calibrate. Doesn't hurt, but dim is usually fine. I sometimes throw a black T-shirt over the screen if I feel the light is a little too much, but then you have to check that the sensor still sits tightly at the right spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use offset to adjust the near black and gain to adjust the white / near white (Use IRE 30 and 80 then check white at 100)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhh, thank you so much !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, what a cool gadget ! Did the rec 709 emulation with calibrator and now what I see is what I imagined the shot (clip) would look like when I shot it , and the tonal range and stuff is good. So I didn't waste my money doing this stuff. The field monitor ( off BM SDI) is also now much closer to primary display (Eizo). Brightness control fixed much of the 'contrast' issue cause squeezing full HD into 10" sorta makes things a little darker, sorta. Pixel to Pixel setting gives better info but the stupid field monitor is just for location or off camera stuff anyway.  It's useless on my editing computer.

Thanks for all your help, you guys. Really appreciated !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got lazy and instead of shooting color (kodak) swatches/tonal scale, with 32k light on it, I stuck color bars and tone into the sequence I had and just made a BD iso from encore and burned that to disc. Played in computer ( looks great) and on TV ( looks almost great.. black across bottom is closed ). Colors OK. Very nice all in all.

Thanks for all the help and info !  Maybe someone down the road will get some benefit too from your contributions !

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines