• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best File Renaming Utilities?

Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A question came up in another forum about renaming files. That sparked a discussion on file renaming utilities. I thought I'd move that discussion here.

What is your favorite utility for renaming files, on which operating system, and why is it your favorite? Let's help each other find our next best tools.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On macOS I like...

• Finder's built-in file renaming for quick and simple replacement, prefix, suffix, and serialization.
  • Rename form Pathos Software for more advanced file renaming operations (look in the macOS App Store).
  • Noodlesoft Hazel for automatic file renaming, such as replacing spaces in filenames with underscores automatically when a file is placed in a particular folder (like my Upload to Website folder) or adding dates (such as with PDFs of receipts).

On Windows I like...

• File Renamer Deluxe from Sherrod Computers which offers an amazing array of file renaming features including GREP regular expressions.
  • Hazel, running on my Mac, renaming across the network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac, I like "A Better Finder Rename" - http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/version10.html  - it supports a whole bunch of standard naming rules, but also offers regular expressions. And with that, there really is no renaming job that is too complex. Having said that, I have to admit that every now and then I still write a Perl or Python script to handle really complex jobs that don't fit will with regular expressions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like A Better File Rename, but often the renaming options in Bridge are enough. Bridge renaming supports Regular Expressions, and will handle my simpler renaming jobs,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second Bridge. We all already have it, and it's easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder  wrote

I second Bridge. We all already have it, and it's easy.

I was getting worried there with Bridge taking a while to get mentioned.  I use Bridge and Irfanview, the latter because I have used it for such a long time and it is so flexible, but Bridge does the job and is convenient because it will always be open if I am working on a batch of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bulk Rename Utility

I have used this for years and years on Windows platform.

It's free, lightweight, has lots of options & very easy to use.  

It's one my most used, "must have" tools.   A++

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Shots/mainscr.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The absolute best tool I have found for this is Bulk Rename Utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use bridge as well... fast and easy when I'm pumping out internet images 20 at a time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another positive about Bridge is that it is so easy to organise your files as you rename them.  Being able to filter just the JPG files and folders, and the ease of making new folders.  You can also rearrange images by dragging before renaming.   My other option, Irfanview, is nowhere near as intuitive to use, but is a lot more flexible and powerful.  Thankfully, I have reduced my large event gigs to three a year now, as I don't get the same buzz from trawling through hundreds of images, and people are asking for more video nowadays.  Actually, video is an even bigger PITA to deal with.  I took 100Gb of files from the last event I covered, and I still haven't given them a finished product yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking how to batch rename files easily. Try "KrojamSoft BatchRename program"..It is a great tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use Adobe Bridge to batch rename files. I love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have for a long time used  "Lupas Rename"

Lupas Rename 2000

It is 'old' but still works.

BUT- If you are a Lightroom user -Never rename your image files with anything but Lightroom itself, or you will corrupt the Lightroom Catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Name Mangler.app for MacOS X

It support GREP regex in its Find feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Path Finder from Cocoa Tech on my Mac (not to be confused with the InDesign tool or Illustrator effect). It's an alternative to the Finder. It's not free, but you can try it for 30 days. I originally started using it because I found it made working from a server faster. I also use the dual pane feature constantly. Batch re-naming is very easy and instant.Path Finder.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bridge... duh...

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines