Can go go back to online programming after 5 years of absence ?

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a Master Degree in Computer Science and you were a php / mysql programmer then left the programming for about 5 years can you go back ?

How do you turn your knowledge and skills into succes ?

Own business or good job ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ovidiumacoway  wrote

That all depends on how up to date your university was in teaching up-coming methods.

For example did your degree course teach you php7, and did it teach you pdo?

If the answer to either of the above is no, then you have a lot of work to do before returning to php/mysql programming. Then comes the problem of experiance, as i know many people with degrees in subjects they have never practiced in the 'real world'. If you do not have real world experiance then you will have a difficult time finding an employer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the reply. Yes i have experience with programming but mostly as a freelancer wich i never really quitted and i still do and run websites where i still go on writing codes from time to time but is not on a reguar basis at the moment.

PDO - that was never teached to me and im new to that .

i still have basic good undestanding of web programming so i dont feel happy doing something else, not mentioning the income too.

Updates , we all need to update ourselfes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ovidiumacoway  wrote

yes you can... the rules for programming don't really change its just the codes get updated.

what will end the dream is burn out... a programmer tends to think in very exact terms and that can cause stress if you are the only person at work whom really understands why something is happening. your options are;

leave

try to tell people why this new great idea is going to end badly

bang your head against a wall when they do it anyway... insisting they didn't know what would happen

or

find a workflow that pays the pills and get on with your life

its been my experience that most coders take the 'bang your head' option

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines