• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dag! What Have You Done

Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been following this story since the original incident ten days ago, but it just keeps getting better, so I have to share.   I'm not entirely sure how Dag is involved, but it is Norway, so it stands to reason that he must be.

It started with a billion krone frigate coming off second best after colliding with an oil tanker in a Norwegian fjord resulting in a huge rent in the side of the frigate.  The oil tanker is completely undamaged, so  it might be time for the world's navies to rethink their buying strategies.

They moved the sinking frigate to the rocky shoreline to prevent it from sinking.   Then embarked on a rescue mission trying to pull it up enough to patch the holes, using best quality Norwegian steel cable...

...which broke  and things have gone from very bad, to much worse.  I love the wee red life-raft.  Apparently no other Norwegian warships would go close to the life-raft in case they collided with it, and sank (the worships... not the life-raft).

Norwegian company Sotra Anchor & Chain says they should have used chain, which is stronger than steel cables, but the navel salvage team didn't ask.   This was the same navy that when contacted by the Maltese oil tanker's bridge asking if they knew they were on a collision course, responded, 'don't worry. we have it under control'.

Dag tells me that they don't have insurance for their warships, and  I can't imagine them getting insurance in future.  Well maybe for  the their little red life-rafts, but only third party liability to cover all the boats that sink after colliding with it.

I've not seen pictures of the shoreline, but my mind picture for a Norwegian fjord  is of  steep mountains coming down to the waterline.  We have the same thing here with our Marlborough Sounds, and what we learn in is that the angle above the waterline tends to continue below it.  The Sounds get very deep, very quickly.  It could be that another 25 metres from the shoreline, would drop the frigate _well_ below the surface, and present an  even worse problem.

The exception being where the end of a ridge  meets the water — you cut those corners off at your peril!   Those ridges tend to be great fishing spots, and many a boat  has sat on top of one for hours, and suddenly realised that the tide has grounded them! 

So Dag, what is the latest?  Is there much coverage over there, or are they keeping it a bit secret squirrel?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, there's coverage all right, all the media are plastered wall-to-wall with this. But as you can imagine, it's mostly speculation and very little hard fact is coming out. Twenty or so police investigators are now going through full-top level security clearance, so that they can access all the secret material with no restrictions.

It's getting really ugly at times. At the extreme right-wing political side - and I'm sure this is no coincidence - the current theory in fashion is that there were female navigators on board. We all know they can't parallel park, right? Our local Breitbart/Bannon variety, Helge Luras at resettdotno, introduced this ingenious theory a couple of days ago, and it was picked up by Harald Lysglimt Johannessen, who has gained notoriety as a Trump evangelist (there's no other word for it) for the last two years. He's now starting his own political party.

What can I say? This is even more embarrassing and shameful than the crash itself.

The steel wire story may be a red herring. Yes, they broke, but apparently it was the bolts drilled into the rock, not the wires. Chain wouldn't have helped.

As I mentioned to Trevor in a PM, I did my 15-month military service as a radio operator on board a similar ship. It's a long time ago, but we did participate in NATO exercises like this one. I've seen this from the inside. Even my old hippie/anti-authoritarian self quite enjoyed it - not for any ideological reasons, but because it was an interesting experience. Even then I was impressed by the professionalism and efficiency. These people are exceptionally well trained.

Which is why I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I suspect this is a complex chain of events.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

It's getting really ugly at times. At the extreme right-wing political side - and I'm sure this is no coincidence - the current theory in fashion is that there were female navigators on board. We all know they can't parallel park, right? Our local Breitbart/Bannon variety, Helge Luras at resettdotno, introduced this ingenious theory a couple of days ago, and it was picked up by Harald Lysglimt Johannessen, who has gained notoriety as a Trump evangelist (there's no other word for it) for the last two years. He's now starting his own political party.

What can I say? This is even more embarrassing and shameful than the crash itself.

What is the general reaction to this part of the story, Dag? Does anyone agree with this nonsense or are people speaking up?

Disclosure: I am awesome at parallel parking, trained well by my dad when I was 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully, Jane, the general reaction is disgust, and most people ask how it's possible to sink so low (oops, no pun intended). I couldn't believe it when I first heard it, I thought it was a sick joke.

But there is a segment that actively pursues this and it got some traction on facebook. As I said, this can't be coincidental. It all fits into a certain reactionary ideology and it's being used to that end. Pussy-grabbing and all that.

Of course, nobody knows whether there really were female navigators on duty, on the bridge, that night.

One of our (male) comedians were on TV the other day: "whenever there's crashing, massive destruction and general mayhem, it's my impression that males are significantly overrepresented"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gets you thinking, doesn't it. In case there's anyone out there who still hasn't seen A Handmaid's Tale, do it. And if you have, but didn't quite catch the significance, see it again. These people are out there, and they seek power, and if we just ignore them they might get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully, Jane, the general reaction is disgust, and most people ask how it's possible to sink so low (oops, no pun intended). I couldn't believe it when I first heard it, I thought it was a sick joke.

One of our (male) comedians were on TV the other day: "whenever there's crashing, massive destruction and general mayhem, it's my impression that males are significantly overrepresented"...

We rely on our comedians to get through the events of the day as well. Our latest is that our POTUS thinks that raking the forests will prevent tragedies like the horrible fire in California.

I do hope that pun was intended, Dag, it’s good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I saw it after I typed it, and thought, that's pretty good...There are puns everywhere these days. The spokesperson for the Navy said, "we'll get to the bottom of this"...

Yeah, we're gonna have a great climate. He said that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and I reread what I wrote about "enjoying" my military service. You have to read that in context. This wasn't Syria or Afghanistan where people actually get killed. At that time and place, nobody thought it would ever get serious. It was just a job, and since everybody had to do it unless they could wriggle their way out, I just counted myself lucky that I got an interesting assignment, instead of eating mud in the regular Army service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and I reread what I wrote about "enjoying" my military service. You have to read that in context.

You did qualify it with, “Even my old hippie/anti-authoritarian self quite enjoyed it - not for any ideological reasons, but because it was an interesting experience,” and yes, it does sound like an interesting experience. We more often called ourselves “freaks” here in the States.

The Handmaid’s Tale was a book that I selected for my bookclub in February 2007. I remember the date only because my daughter came with her one-month old baby, who is now eleven. I haven’t seen the movie, but it’s been on my mind to do that and to re-read the book. Thanks for the reminder!

My dad is 93 and we found out a couple of years ago that he has celebrated every February 12—the day he got out of the army—with a beer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read the book and this is one of those rare cases where I think the filmed version is much better - probably because it's not a 120-minute condensed movie, but a 12-episode series an hour each. That gives enough room to go deep into those seemingly small details and subplots that give flesh to the story. It feels real, this could really happen.

And of course it has Elisabeth Moss, easily one of the greatest actors alive today.

The first season is based directly on Margaret Atwood's book. There is also a second season, which was a natural consequence as the book didn't really "end". The second season ties the story a bit closer to current events, making it even more chilling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because we can never get far from involving Donald Trump, and because it is not entirely off topic being Scandinavian, I hooted with laughter when I read that he thinks Finland has a great forestry management system in that they 'rake' the forest floors there. The Fins are having a field day tweeting pictures of themselves out in the woods with vacuum cleaners with the predictable tagline Raking America Great Again  

What makes this so utterly incredible is that Donald Trump must be the only person on the planet who apparently doesn't know that whole cycle of life thing.  Neil summed it up perfectly in The Young Ones all those years ago.

Note: This post has taken me for blooming ever as after smiling at Rick and Neil above, YouTube transitioned into the interview below  and I was into some serious aging reminiscing. 

Ben Elton - Laughing At The 80s - Rik Interview 1 - YouTube

So  some time later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the Associated Press could not resist with their headline:

D Fosse​, I noticed that Atwoods's series is already on my Amazon Prime list, so I will watch it but next up is Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which takes place in New Zealand, as I promised ACP buddy Trevor.Dennis​.

Great clips on Rick and Neil, Trevor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to the original story.

A thought-provoking feature story in one of our major newspapers today, written by a former instructor at the Naval Academy. Yes, he probably has a stake in this, but nevertheless.

He starts, "When accidents happen, it's easy to look for blame. Since it usually goes without incident, when something does go wrong it has to be because of an error. Somebody has to take the blame for that error" (my translation).

His point is that these are incredibly complex systems. A long chain of events, none of which in themselves unusual or unexpected, and up to that point not resulting in any ill consequences. But every once in a blue moon they all come together and push in the same direction. And it goes wrong - even though everybody had good reasons to do what they did, based on the information and experience available at the time.

In hindsight we always see actions in light of their consequences. That hindsight is a luxury not available before it happens.

I think it's a good point. The tendency in these investigations is usually to find a scapegoat, feed him to the sharks, job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from laying blame on a person, or a ship's system that malfunctioned, finding out why it happened will (or should) make sure the same thing doesn't happen again

At least I've not read here about any loss of life, like when that show off Italian captain ran his cruise ship aground

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, things do go wrong, and Murphy's Law says they do so at the most inconvenient of times.  The image below shows the entrance to Tory Channel which about eight times a day, one of the Cook Strait ferries enters or leaves travelling between Picton and Wellington.  Picton bound ferries have to align two white pillars on land (dark blue highlight and detail square — click to enlarge to full size for a better view) and turn left at another marker to stay in the deep channel.  On one occasion a ferry lost power at what could hardly have been a worst point, and came very close to running ashore. On another occasion, one of the ferries veered slightly off course, and hit the bottom without stopping.

These ferries are fairly big boats.  They have more than once hit the wharf at Picton hard enough to cause significant damage. In fact there is a long list of incidents over the years.

A few years ago I did some publicity pictures for the town Havelock, and was 'shown' round by a local who happened to be one of the ferry captains.  He told me a few stories, the most interesting of which was when he approached Picton a bit hot, and put one of the engines into full reverse which upset the computer enough to shut it down.  This put undue load on the other engine, whose computer also thought 'to heck with this' and shut down.  This is how I remember the story, but I might have tidied it up a bit.   Luckily they didn't have a flat battery, and were able to restart the engines, and I think he told me the story more to highlight how over complicated systems could get things wrong.  Scotty from Star Trek can talk for hours about this.

Engine troubles hamper Interislander ferry during Cook Strait crossing | Stuff.co.nz

Investigation blames crew for Cook Strait ferry rock crash | Stuff.co.nz

Captains stood down after ferry near misses | Stuff.co.nz

I could fill a page with these links, but you get the point, but I will leave you with this one.  A pilot on a hulking great cruise ship instructed a ferry to turn onto a certain bearing, but the ferry captain turned the other way resulting in a near miss with a third boat.  Wellington harbour might look pretty big to a land lubber, but with the size of the big boats, and the time it takes to manoeuvre them, you can very quickly run out of space.  I wonder if something like this happened with the Norway incident?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11253668

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was a palaver.  If you happened by the above post while it was  going through a series of edits, it was because it was being blocked because of a 'keyword posting violation'.  I had to remove sections a bit at a time and retry, and eventually tracked down the offending word which was

'esc0rted'

Goodness knows why Jive would consider it a bad word.  Perhaps you'd like to try including it to see if your post gets blocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good sleuthing, Trevor.Dennis​. Here is a screenshot.

3B3C5605-5152-4482-A3AF-982823106FD2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jive.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

'esc0rted'

Goodness knows why Jive would consider it a bad word.  Perhaps you'd like to try including it to see if your post gets blocked.

I am not going to say in a public forum why Jive considers it a bad word, but I will say that it does have a second, well-known meaning here in the States when followed by the word “Service”. By itself, it means “accompany”, which Jive should not block.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. It finally dawned on me. One word: Spam. Yes, there's a good reason for blocking this word.

I usually don't look in the spam folder of my private email - but the last time I did there was a whole underworld I barely knew existed. I've been living a protected life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Yes, things do go wrong, and Murphy's Law says they do so at the most inconvenient of times. ... These ferries are fairly big boats.

Engine troubles hamper Interislander ferry during Cook Strait crossing | Stuff.co.nz

Investigation blames crew for Cook Strait ferry rock crash | Stuff.co.nz

Captains stood down after ferry near misses | Stuff.co.nz

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11253668

I finally followed your links this morning, Trevor, including an internal link about a ferry that showed up missing a passenger who was not found until the next morning. He was dead and floating in the water. They hadn’t sent out a search party because they assumed he had been in a car.

Are these inter-island ferries as scary as they sound?

Also, they look very big — I tried to find a “floor” plan of the decks but was unsuccessful.

Accidents happen, yes, but then there are the reactions afterwards from public officials, which can be good or can be very bad. Very bad includes blaming female crew because they are female and saying we need to rake the forest.

By the way, raking is low-tech and so last-century. Someone sent me this photo of a Roomba, which is much more efficient at destroying the ecosystem of the forest than a rake anyway.

111A9266-6B21-43AD-947C-B3A8A1F30ED1.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Are these inter-island ferries as scary as they sound?

They are the lesser of two equals.  This Sounds Air taking off from the Picton airport at Koromiko

Depending on wind direction, you either take off North, and barely miss the trees and all being well, fly over the Sounds.

Taking off to the south avoids the trees, but you have get over the mountains.  This is  way scarier IMO.  You always get updrafts and downdrafts making the little aircraft suddenly lose way too much height for comfort.  I have been on a flight where the single pilot was banging the dash with his fist to make the stall alarm stop!  WTF!?  To make totally sure you pooped your pants, this pilot couldn't have been more than 16 years old.  This is not a joke btw.   Fortunately, we have the option of flying Sounds Air out of Blenheim nowadays.   It would take a lot to get me on a plane out of Koromiko. 

I guess there are worse ways to travel.  You couldn't pay me enough to get in a helicopter.  The things are falling out of the sky about once a month it seems to me.  A well to do family lost two sons in three months while piloting helicopters.  The last I heard on the second crash was that a pair of overalls  got sucked out of either the cabin or external carrier, and wrapped round the tail rotor.  This apparently stopped the main rotor, and it dropped like a stone.  I'd have thought there would surely be some sort of free-wheel clutch arrangement that prevented the tail rotor from jamming the main rotor.  Perhaps we have an expert reading this who could put us straight?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12145850  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Trevor.Dennis​, that is some scary stuff you are saying.

We have helicopters flying over our houses daily, and so far none have fallen, but I wlll certainly think of them differently. How often to you have to go to the other island?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High end helicopters have a vertical fin on the tail similar to light aircraft. If the tail rotor fails, provided the pilot maintains enough airspeed, the tail will keep the copter going straight due to the airflow over it. The problem gets critical for landing, for that airspeed has to be maintained through touchdown resulting in a landing slide on a runway or other suitable (long) landing surface.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm speechless. Who even knows what an "esc0rt girl" is nowadays? And why would they care if they did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines