• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has adobe been hacked?

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd prefer to report this confidentially to Adobe but cannot find the means to do so, but just to let you know ADOBE (are you listening?) I've received weird spam, possibly infected, addressed to my unique adobe email account registration address.  I don't use the email address for anything else and I log in using a password manager so it can't have been obtained by a key-logger at my end.  So someone has got my details from Adobe.   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are posting this in the Acrobat Reader forum. It should be in either forum comments or the lounge.

But just because you have received some spam emails to your Adobe ID account means just about nothing. Spammers use programs to generate email addresses. They send out emails to those generated addresses and if they don't get bounced then they know it is a real address that someone is using.

So more than likely that is how your email address.

So unless you have used something like 1#&"pete[=)conner%! @ SomeEmailServerAddress . com you will eventually get some spam coming through.

That doesn't mean someone hacked Adobe.com or someone at Adobe gave out your email address.

Also the spammers do not need to know the password for your Adobe ID to send spam email to that email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it's common business practice for large corporations to sell your personal contact information to mailing list warehouses that sell their the mailing lists they compile to anyone with a few bucks.

There's nothing illegal about it either.  It's usually buried somewhere  deep in the "user agreement" and looks something like "we may share certain information with entities under our parent umbrella or which we are entered into contracts with....etc."

I once caught Sprint communication red handed selling my personal information but there was nothing i could do.

It's possible your personal information was stolen from Adobe's servers but it's much more likely that they sold it to a company

that resells it.  Like I said. It's common practice in massive media & communication companies regardless of whatever promises

& denials they make. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible your personal information was stolen from Adobe's servers but it's much more likely that they sold it to a company

that resells it.  Like I said. It's common practice in massive media & communication companies regardless of whatever promises

As far as I know Adobe has always denied using this kind of practices.

(Adobe certainly keeps them for its own use… )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denial is just a river in Africa.   And it's for sale

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paypal was hacked but I'm not aware of Adobe cases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a notice today that adobe.com was hacked on 9/11/18 and my email and password were exposed.  I tried to reach them personally too, but the chat agent closed the chat when they saw my question.  Which was - why wasn't I notified.  So disappointing not to be proactively notified!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got a notice from who?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another message from the same person Adobe: Hacked Notice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my 2 cents on this; Due to the Experian breach (my data WAS compromised) I joined a data protection service. I will not use names but, if you live in the US and watch TV, you have seen their ads. When I joined, it took them less than an hour to find and warn me about, among other things, the old Adobe breach (which I already knew of and had dealt with).

My point is; this service has warned me about any number of attempts at my data since then, and I have received NO notification of ANY recent breach at Adobe.

As I said, just my 2 cents.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My optimistic view of this subject is that if you use sensitive information online it probably has been and will be compromised.

No matter what promises and assurances a company gives you there simply is no way to guarantee the safety of your information.

And any hope or expectation that a company will "do the right thing" is naive.  Yes, optimism

If your personal information remaining secure is important to you, you need to use strong, unique passwords & change them often.  The more often you change them, the more secure you'll be. That's the bottom line.

I once heard a very well known entrepreneur with a lot to lose say that he changes all of his passwords & credit cards numbers twice a month.  Actually I don;t think he does it personally.  I think he has his lawyer do it for him.  Because, really, who has that much time?

But the point is that he want's his personal info to be safe, so he does what's required to make that a reality.

Optimism!

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I personally never use a password with less than 12 to 14 characters, I change them monthly, and never use a password on more than one site. It sounds difficult, but I have a system I use.

That is why the Experian hack had me so frustrated. Info I have NEVER put on the internet (like my SS number, bank account numbers, etc.) THEY have collected and put where it can be hacked. And yes, I do not do online banking. I admit to being a dinosaur.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for the comments.  I got the notice from a risk service through my financial provider that watches for unexpected activity or exposure of my personal information online.  I do use complex passwords and try to change them often - it's great advice.  I just don't access Adobe often so it isn't on my mind.  Sounds like no one else has gotten an indication of any 'new' exposure, so that's good.  Thanks for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something anyone can do, is check their various email addresses with Firefox Monitor

I'm guessing that all of us that have been using the Adobe forums for a while, will get this result.  It's the only breach my email brings up, so not too bad.  Mt spam volume did seem to increase dramatically last week though, but fortunately the senders were not incrementing their 'from' addresses, so it was easy to set up some rules, and the problems has gone away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the last data breach in 2013,  I created a separate e-mail account for Adobe related activity.    Firefox Monitor gives a "So far, so good" result.

Last year, I joined a program at Experian.com to lock my credit file.  Very soon after, my credit card was compromised  and  I had not used that card for anything other than Experian.  Strange coincidence?  Maybe.  I no longer use Experian services  but I still get their weekly e-mails in which they describe recent data breaches and how many people are effected.  Adobe hasn't been mentioned.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.  I appreciate the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think after 10-15 year's their would be a huge cost to save your Personal data.

Nothing would be personal anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines